So HOUTS is back...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
You know, I've wondered why he's so interested in this site and why he even bothers coming here.

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

Budget Player Cadet

Ransac said:
I noticed that HOUTS is still posting on here, so might I point out a specific post that describes the crap that he would do.

This Link

Since his posts are hidden, you can't see his actual post. However, sageridder quoted one of his absolutely disgusting comments.

Ransac, cpa trash man

:eek: Please tell me that was a ****ing joke! That is sickening! Houts got what he deserved when he was banned.

Killer Joe

Ransac said:
You know, I've wondered why he's so interested in this site and why he even bothers coming here.

Ransac, cpa trash man
Because he's been kicked off of other sites and he's bored? That'd be my guess.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Count me in agreement with TomB. The "account hacking" just makes no sense. I believe there were 3 or 4 grieving threads that were all running in a span of about a month a while back and in each one of them, there was a reply to the effect of "It's good that they're dead since they don't have to live in a world with the CPA." In addition to the fact that he was fairly active at the time, yet never contacted a mod (to my knowledge) to clarify that it wasn't him posting and I believe he was still participating in other threads, saying the same tired things he'd been saying all along, makes me strongly suspect that he's just making excuses to be allowed back. I won't speculate on his intentions, but I still don't trust him not to be a total douche.

Houts spent a lot of time harping on the fact that this site was "elitist" and didn't cater more to tournament players. I really got sick of this argument, since like TomB said, anyone, literally ANYONE can submit an article here. This site is completely non-discriminatory. They'll post anything even remotely related to Magic. Anyone who has ever attended a tournament could do a write up and get it posted. It wouldn't even have to be good. And yet he constantly called us elitist. It boggles the mind.

If you don't believe that anything can get posted, just look back at houts' recent article. It's completely devoid of anything Magic-related. It's not entertaining. It's not informative. It's extremely poorly written (ironic quote: "Either you do something right or you don't do it all. Why else waste one's time?") It's rife with psuedo-intellectual statements that don't actually have meaning to anyone besides houts himself. And although he actually says some things I agree with ("Don't be arrogant." "Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults." "Write, write more, and keep on writing!") he never tried to justify why one should take his advice. It's not the sort of thing that would get posted on any other Magic website in the world. Yet, there it is, for all to see, posted by Spiderman, whom houts frequently accused of being an elitist. Try to figure that out.

One final thing about the article, though. It did help me understand why houts is so bitter toward us casual players. He says, "I no longer desire, nor miss, the card flipping, noiseless discussions, asomnia, over-dose states of sugar intake, endless nights of being trapped in a box on wheels, or laidless Friday Nights." Now I understand that all this time, he's just been jealous of us. A casual player has the ability to play Magic while also getting plenty of sleep and moderating one's sugar intake and not having to make overnight car trips and getting laid on Friday nights. Clearly houts thinks that if you're going to play Magic, you have to go all out and devote your entire existence to the game.

No wonder he hated us.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Ransac said:
I agree with MM. Who is this HOUTS?
He's the guy you were yelling at in your first post. Did you forget that you started this thread?

But yeah, I get the idea. I said my piece. Now I will go back to ignoring him as well.

H

h0u7z

I'll address the issues for the last time:

1. I haven't been signed in for the past 3 years under the account. Proof: Go check IP Logs. I DID address this problem by signing in and alerting others of this problem but these post were deleted (probably Spidey). So, please, save your breath.

2. Attention whore. That makes me giggle. I've barely posted in the past 4 years, as well as an article. (rolls eyes) LOL

3. My article writing has been on SEVERAL other websites, so obviously I am going to ignore the ignorant comments of how my writing is pointless. I write what I want, and how I want it. Sorry you do not have the capacity, or the time to educate yourself, to understand it. Once again, I think you are too wrapped into your Casual Writing to realize the different writing techniques, and writers', out there. I write for my own purposes, as stated before, and for those who actually 'get' it.

4. From all the ranting above, I have YET to hear ONE person actually look into my previous account. Also, please state exact points when you are saying I've said 'this' and 'that'. Just because you have a personal issue with 'me' (once again-lol), doesn't traslate to a great stance/arguement.

5. All the above is the exact reason for why you lose readers. I've had people COME to this site because of my writing or because I suggested. So, I could care less if someone left because of my writing.

6. The whole "freedom of speech" (with red herring of 911) make me laugh. Honestly, it does. You allow what you like and then criticize, without questioning, what opposes your ideals.

7. This site is dying, and I'll leave it on its last crutches to a group of socially inept people who are clinging to each other in their small, inner circle group of elitist mentality. Go on stroking each others' ego's. Enjoy. And you wonder why this is a dead site.

I've said my peace,

Houts
The One and Only

B

Budget Player Cadet

I think he just posted here-I opened this on page three, but there was NOTHING THERE! No, really!

D

DÛke

That's funny. Houts is still working on his "thesis"? wasn't he working on his thesis like 7 years ago as well? :D

Really, am I the only one who actually liked Houts? not that we don't have nasty differences.

But as far as the his whole "elitist" and "casual" rants, I remember a huge rant that him, myself, and Gizmo kind of shared, with differences of course, regarding the subject matter. If you want to read up on it, if nothing else then for how funny some of it is, you can find it by searching the post started by BigBlue, titled What does "Casual" play mean to you?

A lot of good, valid points are made in there.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Whoa, DUKe makes an appearance? :eek:

<shrug> Everyone can't get along or share the same views. It seems it just so happens that apparently your views are in the minority in this particular group.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
After re-reading that thread, I feel so bad for ignoring most of that argument.

*sigh* I think the simple answer for what "casual" is would be "people who play simply for the fun of the game."

Does this mean that tournament players can be casual? They can be, yes. They can build powerful decks and enjoy themselves. However, the players that feel that are obligated to play by either 1) "proving they are smarter", 2) "proving they have better cards", or 3) "proving they are just better at the game than you" tend to not be so casual in my eye. I frequently hear "What? I can't believe I lost to a scrub who played ~insert cardname here~" or "You know the only reason why you one is because 1) I didn't draw this or 2) you are lucky " from these type of players. I get very offended by the Holier-than-thou "I should win because I'm better than you" attitude. I don't have a name for these other than the "anti-casual player."

I've frequently stated that a casual player does not care if he or she wins. Let me re-interpret that. Of course a player cares if they win or lose. Why else would they play the game. BUT, the primary purpose of the casual player is to have fun and enjoy playing the game itself. Winning is a goal but in a concept that involves many multiplayer games, losing is frequent.

"Casual", in the sense that I believe many players on this site share, is something that they do because it's not a direct ambition but more of a hobby that they enjoy in their spare time. We have school or lives (which members have had to take extended breaks from the site to focus on) that we prioritize more than our skill or focus of this game.

Lastly, and this at least is a BIG reason why I like CPA more than the other sites, I don't like being treated like an idiot if I decide to play a deck with Dwarven Ponies instead of Mogg Fanatic. The "professional" attitude at mtgsalvation completely turned me off to the site. If I want to play with certain cards, I should be allowed to without ridicule.

If anyone's opinion differs from mine, go right ahead and disagree. However, I see no way how this view is elitist.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Nah... it's fine here. If the previous thread can be referenced too, there's no reason to necro-thread it.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it kinda more relates there than here with the title, but it doesn't really matter I guess...

B

Budget Player Cadet

Okay, you play dwarven ponies instead of mogg fanatics? I'll give you my seven dwarven ponies for your seven mogg fanatics!
No, I don't have any. But I tried to get one the other day. the guy wanted a euro for it! Nostalgia and all is good, but I got a mindleech mass for that money!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DÛke said:
That's funny. Houts is still working on his "thesis"? wasn't he working on his thesis like 7 years ago as well? :D

Really, am I the only one who actually liked Houts? not that we don't have nasty differences.

But as far as the his whole "elitist" and "casual" rants, I remember a huge rant that him, myself, and Gizmo kind of shared, with differences of course, regarding the subject matter. If you want to read up on it, if nothing else then for how funny some of it is, you can find it by searching the post started by BigBlue, titled What does "Casual" play mean to you?

A lot of good, valid points are made in there.
Whoa. I stay off this site for a while in an attempt to focus on school, and what happens? DÛke returns and, from the look of things, there's been some interesting stuff going on. I'll have to get caught up.

DÛke, there's a big difference between you and HOUTS. I know you both offended people here (especially Istanbul). I'm a bit biased because some of your posts were among my favorites. But HOUTS was trolling. Blatantly. There was, at least some of the time, substance to what you were saying. Especially toward the end of his time here (although I guess now he's back?), all he was doing was trying harder and harder to irk as many people as possible. I daresay that for you, being inflammatory wasn't the goal. It was a consequence of sticking to your convictions and not sugar-coating the things you wrote.

It's one thing to refuse to be diplomatic. I can respect that. Trolling is, at best, a diversion.

I really didn't see anything about HOUTS to convince me that he was even a particularly skilled troll. At least that would have left something to be said about him. The whole reason he was successful here was that he had, for whatever reason, protection from a ban that should have come much sooner.

In short, I don't know why you'd want to associate yourself with HOUTS. I suspect your motivation for doing so is something petty, like indignation at the treatment you received from some of the members here.

TomB said:
He's using the old "It wasn't me - my account got hacked!" excuse? That might have worked, but due to his history up to that point I'd have to say that I don't believe him. That is, I believe he was perfectly capable of crossing that line and posting something that really was that bad because, for one thing, IIRC he replied to another post about a death to someone one of us knew with a similarly cold comment, to the effect of "Who cares?". I don't remember the thread (this all went on 2-3 years ago) but it was in keeping with his general approach to the rest of us at that time.

And you don't need an account to submit an article - They go directly into a moderation queue through the link on the front page and ANYONE can submit. He could have been making submissions all this time, but the trouble with that is articles get reviewed prior to posting and receive an editing job to try and fix the errors, and we weed out submissions that have no real substantive content.

Maybe he was afraid he wouldn't be able to make the grade...;)

Listen, I am as big a proponent of free-speech as you'll find on this site...Back during the 9/11 crisis I insisted that people were entitled to their opinions, and that it was wrong of us to profess a love for the US and what it stands for and yet want to silence people who were stating the unpopular opinion that we somehow deserved our fate that day...I even argued with the other mods about HOUTS the first time around with the guy, and watched at least one leave because we defended the guy's right to his opinion, but he made fools out of his defenders when he continually crossed the line, and that part where he was so cold about Orgg and Ransac's friend was the absolute last straw.

Look, this guy is just an attention whore...He just seems to get off when someone decides to argue with him and reply to his drivel, and then he replies back with more inflammatory rhetoric that has no real substance - it's meant only to provoke a reaction. And when it does he keeps it going by being even more outrageously inflammatory in response...lather, rinse, repeat, ad infinitum...:(

He's the only member to EVER earn a ban, and he will stay banned as long as I have an opinion about it. It's too bad, really...With a little editing (well, MORE than a little...lol) his articles aren't too bad, and I know several of our members enjoyed reading his stuff. If there was a way to convince him to stick to Magic talk, and not to continuously descend into cutting down A) the site, B) the other members, or C) everyone else in creation except of course him in his perfect imperfectiveness, then we could talk about a reinstatement, but frankly, I seriously doubt I'd EVER buy into his sincerity again, and I'm not the only mod or member that feels that way.
Supporting free speech is great. But HOUTS broke the rules and got away with it. If the rules hadn't been there, I would have no qualms with this. And I'd have been free to use every tactic in my arsenal to shoot HOUTS down. Not that he'd listen, but it would have at least been an even playing field. But I, and probably other members too, didn't do this specifically because we respected the rules. Not banning HOUTS empowered him and rewarded him for disregarding the rules.

If you think the rules are too constraining, change them. It's basically just you and Spiderman running things right now, isn't it? I'm sure you could work something out. But under the rules we had and, to my knowledge, still have, HOUTS shouldn't have gotten away with his behavior for as long as he did.

By the way, I'm not blaming the mods or anything. HOUTS eventually did get what was coming to him and if it was a little late, oh well. I just saw it as inconsistent and in other, communities with similar rules, he would have been banned a lot sooner. But we're a smaller community and most of us have been here for a long time. There wasn't as much of an issue with HOUTS driving off new members with his crap as there might have been elsewhere, so maybe it was appropriate to let things sit for longer. I'm not going to be the one to judge that.

Ransac said:
TomB, the "who cares" comment was in reference to my grandfather passing.
He also made it a comment like that about a former member here. I forget the guy's name, but it was and probably still is in Orgg's signature (or Theorgg's signature, I forget which).