Jhoira Deck

S

Shadowglyph

Magic Players have a tendency to often have so many cards that they are difficult to store, so what do we do? That's right, we make decks and put elastic bands around them to clear space for our ever growing collections. I felt I had a good basis for a Jhoira Deck, but I need some pointers and some cards to fill space. At the moment the deck is small, don't worry about Land numbers, I'll deal with that as the deck grows, I am looking for spell and creature suggestions. Here we go.

Land 14
7x Mountain
7x Island
1x Steam Vents

Creatures 16
4x Rift Elemental
2x Jhoira's Timebug
4x Jhoira of the Ghitu
2x Guile
2x Greater Gargadon
2x Deep Sea Kraken

Spells 14
2x Repeal
4x Remand
4x Rift Bolt
4x Electrolyze

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Four Words: Detritivore and Aeon Chronicler.

Jhoira completely abuses these cards. I'd talk longer about it, but brain no function after 11pm.....

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Time Stretch: Target player takes two extra turns after this one.

And some way to get it back again seems like some good tech.

S

Shadowglyph

Hmm, Aeon Chronicler seems a good choice, but is Detritivore really that useful? I mean, How many nonbasic lands is a person going to field on average? Most people I know wouldn't use more then four in a deck, unless your playing Highlander or a Three Color Deck. Time Stretch seems like it fits the general theme and I am partial to spells like that.
By the way, thanks for the welcome Spider.

Melkor

I've always liked the idea of putting several mass removal effects in a deck like this. Things like Jokulhaups, Obliterate, or Upheaval. Then they can either be hard cast when you have enough things suspended or you can suspend them first and suspend a nice creature to take advantage of the impending destruction. Not to mention I like the countdown to destruction.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Shadowglyph, don't listen to Ransac,,, he likes Opera.... :D
I really like the theme for this deck, so if you add upevil, post the completed version, I want to build it myself and torture Killer Joe with it....... :eek:

S

Shadowglyph

Land 14
7x Mountain
7x Island
1x Steam Vents

Creatures 19
4x Rift Elemental
2x Jhoira's Timebug
1x Epochrasite Added
4x Jhoira of the Ghitu
1x Aeon Chronicler Added
1x Akroma, Angel of Fury Added
2x Guile
2x Greater Gargadon
2x Deep Sea Kraken

Spells 14
1x Delay Added
2x Repeal
4x Remand
4x Rift Bolt
3x Electrolyze 1 Removed

Okay, two new additions. One Apochrasite, one Aeon Chronicaller, one Delay and one Angel of Fury added, while one Electrolyze is removed. Epochrasite is great in this deck, he holds back your opponents offense by blocking as a 1/1 and can be accelerated back onto the board as a 4/4, when I find another of these, I will put it in.
Aeon Chronicaller was a good addition and I may consider adding another depending on how the deck playtests this coming week. Akroma, Angel of Fury works well in this deck being not only a very good suspend card but also can be played as a 2/2 if Jhoira isn’t around and you need the extra hands, keep in mind, this isn’t and Akroma Deck, so Angel of Fury can easily be justified as a 2/2 sacrifce blocker. Removing one Electrolyze and adding Delay instead does a few things. First it allows you to counter your own spells like, Aeon Chronicallar, (Yes I am aware there is only 1 at the moment) and add more time counters to them for suspended fun, it synergies with Guile for spell jacking and also gives you counters early on for your Rift Elemental to leech for punching power. I am aware that this is a flavor card, and yes, that is why there is only 1.

I have already played 2 games with this deck, I will post the results shortly.

S

Shadowglyph

First Game: RDW vs Jhoira
I play and drop a rift elemental turn 1, he plays Magus of the Scroll, then turn two I swing for 1 and remand his Slith Firewalker. Turn three the golden girl hit’s the field, he plays Slith Firewalker and can’t swing because Jhoira will crush his walker. Turn 4 I suspend Kraken and Gargadon with Jhoira. He hits Incinerate on Jhoira and swings with Firewalker for 1.
I remove a counter, from garg and kraken, then play Rift Elementals ability twice, to bring Kraken into play, then swing for 11, his magus dies blocking the rift elemental and Kraken hits him for 6. He plays Blood Knight and Grim Lavamancer, then firebolts me for 2 and swings for 2 with his firewalker, then I drop a land and another rift elemental, remove the two counters from Gargadon and swing with Kraken and Gargadon for 15, he blocks Gargadon with the Knight and Kraken hits him for another 6. He incinerates my rift elemental and swings for 3 with his firewalker, the blocks Gargadon with Lavamancer, and kraken hits him for 6 followed by Rift Bolt to the head ending the game.

Final Result
Win: 1 Lose: 0

Second Game Elf/Akroma vs Jhoira
He plays and drops Lanowar elves, I drop Rift Elemental, then turn two he plays Eladamri’s call and searches for Akroma while I play Timebug.
He plays Elvish Piper prematurely, revealing a combo and I counter with Rift Bolt, suspending it for 1 then removing the counter with Rift Elemental and swinging for 4 at the dome with him and the Timebug.
He plays Elvish Champion and swings for 6 with his Lanowar and a Might of Old Krosa, I drop a land and another rift bolt, in the same combo before, and swing for another 4, frying the champion.
He plays Gaea’s Herald, and drops Gaea’s Anthem on the field and I play Jhoira and another Timebug.
He plays another Lanowar elf, then casts Blanchwood Armour on his Lanowar and swings for 5, I suspend Gargadon with Jhoira.
He attacks again with the Lanowar elf, this time with another Giant Growth, swinging for 9 in a hope to end the game but I play Repeal and send it to his hand then bring Gargadon onto the field at the end of his turn and with my freshly untapped land Electrolyze his Herald and suspend Akroma, Angel of Fury then swing for 9 of my own, he blocks, sending the remaining Lanowar elf to the graveyard.
He plays his remaining Lanowar Elves, and another Anthem, I bring Akroma onto the field at the end of his turn, and swing with her and Gargadon for 15 he says he doesn’t have a hope anymore, and elects not to block.

Final Result
Win: 2 Lose: 0

I will be playing more with this deck this week and editing it based on results, I may or may not continue to post the results and changes depending on the reactions to this.
Cheers

-Shadowglyph

S

Shadowglyph

I stopped posting updates because i didn't think anyone was reading the thread anymore, if your still interested I can post the completed deck, as for the short answer, no, it's not just 48 cards.

S

Shadowglyph

Okay here it is, The Full Deck of 60, The Ravnica has been moved out to allow it in for a standard constructed contest in February.

Please Post your thoughts.

20 Land
8x Islands
8x Mountains
4x Shivan Reef

21 Creatures
4x Rift Elemental
3x Epochrasite
1x Jhoira's Timebug
4x Jhoira of the Ghitu
2x Aeon Chronicaller
1x Akroma Angel of Fury
2x Deep Sea Kraken
4x Greater Gargadon'

19 Spells
2x Boomerang
4x Delay
4x Fury Charm
4x Rift Bolt
2x Cancel
3x Time Stretch

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still reading the thread, I just don't know enough about the current sets/environment to offer any constructive advice :)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I'm still reading this.
Here is a non-type II or any type deck I am going to try to build this week. Not sure I have all these cards.

4 Jhoira of the Ghitu
3 Bogardan Hellkite
2 Aeon Chronicler
2 Greater Gargadon
2 Detritivore
2 Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
2 Akroma, Angel of Fury
2 Jhoira's Timebug
2 Guile
1 Deep-Sea Kraken
1 Epochrasite

3 Fury Charm
3 Clockspinning
2 Memory Crystal
2 Capsize
2 Intuition
2 Rift Bolt
2 Lightning Bolt
2 Long-term Plans

10 Island
9 Mountains

S

Shadowglyph

Interesting Moose.
With Memory Crystals, Clockspinning, Capsize and Fury Charms it seems that your looking to accelerate your monsters onto the field while getting the most out of cheapened buyback cards, I would follow this theme using cards like Long-Term Plans to get your Memory Crystals and Buyback cards faster. I have a few griefs with this deck however.

Firstly, I don't like Detritivore, I'm not sure why I just don't. He is a useful sideboard card for Multiplayer games but unless your opponent is playing three color decks or something like highlander, I found when playing him he never destroys more then one (or two...if your lucky) land and then dies shortly after coming into play, while Aeon Chronicler is in my opinion much more useful, as you can suspend him with Jhoira and accelerate tokens off him, draw four cards and beat for 6 or 7.

I'm not sure about Niv-Mizzit in this Deck Either as you don't have many cards that accelerate his effectiveness here except for the forementioned Aeon Chronicler and while a 4/4 flyer is useful, I can't help but think the slot could be better used.

Also, Guile is in this deck, and again, he has another ability, his counter spell one which is completely wasted in this deck. It just seems you are using cards you can't fully utilize here.