Reanimate Dragon deck

W

Waldtyr

I've always been keen about dragons, and so quite a fan of magic's dragoncards. The most common problem with them would be their casting cost and when I discovered the reanimate ability (since I started playing it again that is) I went brainstorming on creating a nice deck to put most of my dragon legion as quickly as possible into play. After various modifications I'm pretty satisfied with the last edition of it.

Key cards in the deck are:

Recurring Nightmare, Balthor the Defiled, Bladewing the Risen (optional for this efect) and Doomed Necromancer for the reanimation of the dragons.

Dragon Storm. Need less to say, this one is quite clear.

Zombie Infestation, Mind Maggots, Rites of Initiation and Latulla, Keldon overseer for discaring to the graveyard.

There's no cards in it from beyond 8 edition because I just dispise the new look of the cards that came with it. I just cant fit it together with the older series... purely estetics. :eek:

I'm still a bit doubtfull about the ádition of Blue in the deck, so if there's any suggestions and/or improvements, I'd like to hear.

My Dragons revenge deck in its present form:

Multi colored:

1x Vamipiric Dragon
2x Bladewing the Risen
1x Crosis the Purger

Artifact:

1x Teeka's Dragon
1x Beast of Burden

Black:

1x Zombie infestation
1x Diabolic tutor
2x Balthor the Defiled
4x Dark ritual
1x Catacomb Dragon
4x Recurring Nightmare
1x Mind maggots
1x Bladewing's Thrall
1x Doomed Necromancer
1x Blanket of Night

Red:

1x Shivan Dragon
1x Lightning Dragon
1x Rathi Dragon
3x Dragon Storm
1x Zirilan of the Claw
1x Rites of Initiation
2x Volcanic Dragon
1x Latulla, Keldon Overseer

Blue:

1x Quicksilver Dragon
1x Mist Dragon
4x Dream Thrush

Non basic lands:

1x Terminal Moraine
1x Cabal Coffers
1x Ancient Spring

Basic lands:

7x Swamp
6x Mountian
4x Island

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I like Buried Alive more than Latulla in the deck (though I was excited finally seeing her in a deck). It's cheap and will definitely get cards in the graveyard (unless there's counterspell out there. Then you're screwed either way.)

I think you can skip out on the blue. Crosis is nice, but your blue is essentially 3 dragons to 4 Dream Thrush. You can compensate with the consistency of staying in two colors.

What other dragons do you own?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Apprentice Necromancer may be better than Doomed (Less cost)
Putrid Imp may be better than the other discard, due to cost and it's a creature.

You may need a Tutor to get some of the cards you "need"
2 demonic Tutors would do well.

Replace the Infestation, Maggots, Doomed and Keldon with
2 Apprentice Necromancer and 2 Putrid Imp

And 1 Trush and 1 Dark Ritual for 2 Demonic Tutors.

Just a quick thought.....

B

BigBlue

Two Words...

Sneak Attack

Use this instead of Zombie Infestation...

If you have access to old stuff, you may want to use Necropotence to draw quickly, Necromancy will animate them nicely too (and works as an instant) as will Shallow Grave. I also like Life/Death and Reanimate, the life cost is high, but used conservatively they can prove crucial. Corpse Dance is another short term reanimator - with Buyback.

If you decide to keep the Blue, you can use Teferi's Veil to phase out creatures which attacked (and thus re-use them next turn rather than sacrifice them with sneak attack or with Shallow Grave...)

I agree with Ransac though, Blue is expendable in this deck.

W

Waldtyr

Blue indeed is expendable, due to the mana problem mostly. It just slows it down too much.

@ Big Blue:
Sneak attack is a good one. I remember one of my friends having one.

@ Ransac:
Other Dragons I own are 1x Crimson Hellkite and, 2x Covetous Dragon. (Treva the Renewer and Dromar the Banisher are quite useless except for them being 6/6 flying)
I'm looking for a Rorix Bladewing, as it will be a great addition to the deck.
Maybe I just should take the 2 blue dragons out and use Mooseman's idea of the Putrid Imp and the Apprentice necromancer (need to get a hold on that one first) as additional discard cards. Discarding has yet been less easy as reanimating with the current deck formation.

thanks for the advice.

W

Waldtyr

Well, it's already a little while ago that I've been online, but since you've asked, here goes:

I took out blue. It just slowed the deck down too much in one to one play. It remained pretty much the same, and the only chages are a few additional black cards and 2 more lands.

Magic somewhat died out a bit where I live, so it's not that easy to get hold on some specific cards. I would really like the Rorix and the sneak attack. Both cards would finnish the deck with style.

Present form:

Multi colored:

2x Bladewing the risen
1x Crosis the purger
1x Vampiric dragon (pretty much becoming my favorite card in the deck, due to it's ability to deal direct damage and grow bigger by doing so)

Artifact:

1x Beast of burden
1x Teeka's dragon

Black:

2x Putrid imp
2x Bladewing's thrall
1x Last rites (nice addition on the Rites of initiation)
1x zombie infestation
2x Balthor the defiled
4x Dark ritual
4x Recurring nightmare
1x diabolic tutor
1x Blanket of night
1x mind maggot's
1x Doomed necromancer
1x Catacomb dragon

Red:

3x Dragon storm
2x Volcanic dragon
1x Shivan dragon
1x Lightning dragon
1x Rathi dragon
1x Latulla, keldon overseer
1x Zirilan of the claw
1x Rites of initiation

Non basic lands:

1x Terminal moraine
1x Cabal coffers

Lands:

10 x Mountain
10 x Swamp

W

Waldtyr

Last deck update:

I replaced the Last rites for a Canyon Drake.
Heaving a creature instead of an instant works just a little better.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Care to have a game in the games section
I'll play the Leviathan deck.....
You can add any cards to your deck, even if you don't have them.....