Witch's Mist. Playable?

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
F

Force of Will Smith

Witch's Mist.
2B Enchantment
2B, T: Destroy target creature that was dealt damage this turn.

The idea of a difficult to destroy renewable killing machine seems ideal...
Any thoughts?

possibly using a free global damager that would allow the 2B cost to not be too much? (caltrops?)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well, Pestilence or Goblin Bombardment immediately comes to mind. Even Tim and the other pingers work well with this.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Burst of Energy, Dream's Grip, Emerald Charm, Tidewater Minion
May help to use it more than once per turn, if needed.

Zealot il-Vec would work on your turn, but Caltrops would kill it.....

E

Ephraim

I don't think that it is unplayable, but I do not think that it would be especially effective to build a deck around it. It would make a decent addition to a Pestilence based deck, as noted above, but I'm not sure how much added value it provides. In theory, you can just pump those 3 extra black mana into Pestillence and hopefully kill whatever is still standing.

I'd understand if you wanted to build something around Witch's Mist just for the sake of playing with it. If, however, you are looking for repeatable creature kill, I think that you'd be better off with something oldschool, like Icy Manipulator + Royal Assassin. Royal Assassin is more vulnerable to direct damage, but in other regards, I think it's a more efficient and effective combination.

I think that its most valuable application would be in a battlefield control deck. Creatures with first strike (like Nekretaal!) are more threatening with Witch's Mist on the table. If you include white, then it also makes rangestrikers like Crossbow Infantry a much more formidable deterrent.

E

EricBess

Seems like a decent card in limited to hold off a large creature. When even the smallest chump-blocker can kill anything...A bit situational though.

For the investment, there are better options in constructed. Just about everything you use to deal the damage you need can probably be substituted for something that will kill outright. Pestilence is a great example. If you can pump 3 more mana into pestilence instead of activating Witch's Mist, why wouldn't you. Yeah, I understand that there are situations, but since your deck is built with Pestilence in mind, its probably irrelevant.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, three more dmg still might not be able to kill the creature and you may not be able to afford to take the 3 dmg yourself.

Another idea is you can pair it with the "D'Avenant" creatures to make combat more interesting :)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I have to agree with Spidey, that pumping X into Pestilence may not always be the best thing to do.

Witch's Mist targets 1 creature at a time, so it's not a board clearer or a game winner, but it does allow you to spot remove annoying creatures or fatties.

The D'Avenant creatures and Tims would work with this as would limited Pestilence use.

The deck would still need a win condition.