Lorwyn Previews

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
EricBess said:
To be fair, I'm more of a Johnny than a Timmy, but I'm not really convinced that once you have a 6/6 creature, making him that much bigger is going to matter that much. This definitely seems to be a "win more" card to me. Cool and splashy, sure, but I don't see anyone playing it over Shivan Dragon, for example (obvious combos with Fling the possible exception)
And Sneak attack..... man is that card good, thanks to whoever steered me to it........

E

Ephraim

Spiderman said:
And I think it's too susceptible to removal or being stolen... :)
But he has an entire hamlet on his back! A wee community of boggarts, kithkin, and other such smaller folk all live in the thriving ecosystem that exists ON THIS GUY'S BACK. How cool is that?

N

Notepad

He's the perfect target for a well-timed Grab the Reins! :D I read about the giant with some sadness, since it would be such a cool critter, but playing in battle circles means more people to black-kill or blue-steal it. Or, Seffy at the corner of the table who'll just fling it in your own face!

E

EricBess

Spidey - Credit where credit is due. Frank Karsten previewed the card today, not Chris.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
HA HA HA HA!!!!!! SPIDEY MESSED UP BIG TIME!!!!!!! THE TIME IS NOW TO ACT!!!!!!

RELEASE THE SNOTLINGS!!!!!!!!!

....you'll be sorry that you every messed up this bad, Spidey....

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
There is no correcting for you! WE KNOW THAT YOU HAVE FAILED!!!!!!!!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

.....WHAT!?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I'm really disliking these new planeswalker cards. I don't even want to bother learning how they work, so I'm not sure if any of them are good. I don't know. I just remember that I used to always joke about things like tapping enchantments and planeswalker cards. The future is now, I guess...

Killer Joe

Mooseman said:
You better, you have to make rulings next week on them.... How the heck do they work?
Yeah, yeah, I'm workin' on it :rolleyes:

btw, the Days Inn at Butler caught on fire yesterday good thing we're not there :eek:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Killer Joe said:
Is "Evoke" new?
yeah, it's in the link, but here it is to save you a click :)

502.74. Evoke

502.74a Evoke represents two abilities: a static ability that functions in any zone from which the card can be played, and a triggered ability that functions in play. "Evoke [cost]" means "You may play this card by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost" and "When this permanent comes into play, if its evoke cost was paid, its controller sacrifices it." Paying a card's evoke cost follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules 409.1b and 409.1fh.
  • When you play a spell for its evoke cost, you really are playing the spell—you're just paying a different cost. The spell can be countered as normal. Effects that prevent you from playing a spell also prevent you from playing the spell with evoke.
  • Each Lorwyn creature with evoke has a comes-into-play ability. That means paying the normal cost gets you both the ability and the creature, while paying the evoke cost just gets you the ability.
  • Playing a creature by paying its evoke cost will result in two comes-into-play abilities: The sacrifice ability from evoke, and whatever other ability the creature has. The creature's controller chooses in what order to put them on the stack. Both abilities can be responded to as normal.
  • Evoke doesn't change the timing of when you can play the creature that has it. If you could play that creature spell only when you could play a sorcery, the same is true for playing it with evoke.
  • If a creature spell played with evoke changes controllers before it comes into play, it will still be sacrificed when it comes into play. Similarly, if a creature played with evoke changes controllers after it comes into play but before its sacrifice ability resolves, it will still be sacrificed.
  • When you play a spell by paying its evoke cost, its mana cost doesn't change. You just pay the evoke cost instead.
  • Effects that cause you to pay more or less for a spell will cause you to pay that much more or less while playing it for its evoke cost, too. That's because they affect the total cost of the spell, not its mana cost.
  • Whether evoke's sacrifice ability triggers when the creature comes into play depends on whether the spell's controller chose to pay the evoke cost, not whether he or she actually paid it (if it was reduced or otherwise altered by another ability, for example).
  • If you're playing a spell "without paying its mana cost," you can't use its evoke ability. (Then again, you probably wouldn't want to.)