what good are these cards?

A

aszl826

The card food chain seems useless; is it? It seems to be ineffective with anything except the search creatures (howling wolf, skyshroud sentinel, and nesting wurm).

What is an effective method to utilize Call of the Wild?

Thanks!

H

Hawaiian mage

Call of the Wild? Ever hear of Wordly Tutur?

I forgot what it was, but there was also some combo with Food chain that was really good.

C

Captain Caveman

Call of the Wild is a lot of fun. Hawaiian Mage was dead on
when he said to use Worldly Tutor.

Here's an idea that doesn't use any Urza Block cards. Its
not very good but its an idea that someone might be able to
improve upon.

4 Worldly Tutor
4 Call of the Wild
3 Vampiric Tutor
3 Haunted Crossroad
1 Saploring Cluster(Discard a fattie, put it back on top of your
library, use call of the wild.....or opponent uses it to much,
play Avatar of Might.)

4 Birds
4 Vine Trellis
4 Spore Frog
3 Blastoderm
2 Trashing Wumpus
1 Rhox
1 Avatar of Woe
1 Avatar of Might

14 Forest
10 Swamp

N

Neo_Keo

I like to put in more higher casting cost creature so that abusing call of the wilds ability would be even more fun. Hehehehehe :D

H

Hetemti

Forget Worldly Tutor...Sylvan Library sez you can get it all at bargain basement prices!

D

Duel

forget the library, try Mirri's Guile!

Oh, and the combo is:

Nesting wurm, sentinel, food chain, pandemonium.

right, firt move, cast nesting wurm. deal 4.
Sac it to food chain, to look for three more.
Rinse and repeat. By now you've dealt 16 damage (4 nesting wurms) and have 3 extra mana in your pool from the food chains. Cast a sentinel. Search for three more, cast them and he's dead.

I, personally, use them as green card advantage. Spellshaper fodder, or saporling cluster bombs.

R

rakso

Call of the Wild wouldn't be bad in something like a mono green deck. If you don't have anything else to sink mana in (ex. Cursed Scroll), it can function like a cross between a Jayemdae Tome and Temporal Aperture. A good deal of your cards will be creatures, anyway, so it doesn't matter if you discard some land or utility away (they might have been at the bottom of the library, anyway). I think it might work better in a deck with creatures like the Stupid Green archtype as this is slower and has more expensive plays.

D

Duel

Why use call of the wild? Use Temporal aperture! It's just better!

I

I8Piggo

Call of the Wild is really cool in those decks where you generate huge amounts of mana via Priest of Titania/Gaea's Cradle. You can use it like three times a turn, milling away extra land you don't need and getting more creatures into play.

G

galtwish

Call of the Wild actually works best in a Blue-Green deck because you get to use cards like Soothsaying & Brainstorm to pump out instant speed creatures so you can save mana for countering.

3 Call of the Wild
4 Brainstorm
3 Soothsaying
2 Worldly Tutor
4 Counterspell
3 Rethink
1 Uktabi Orangutan
1 Spitting Spider
1 Thieving Magpie
1 Morphling
1 Dark Hatchling
1 Avalanche Riders
1 Monk Realist
2 Masticore
4 Yavimaya Granger
4 Birds of Paradise
4 City of Brass
1 Swamp
10 Forest
8 Island

and you can make a decent sideboard out of this as well, with Cateran Slaver, Perish, Rootwater Thief, Stronghold Machinist/Biologist and Reverent Silence among other things.

Erik