CPA Appr Tournament...

R

Riva Iron-Grip

yeah noone showed up. so me and theorgg played a couple of games. he had this little combo that pissed the hell out of me

R

rkoelsch

It is hard for everyone to get on at the same time. I think the originator(oops I forgot the name) had originally suggested a more casual approach. Where the pairings would be on a couple hours to a day time frame. the players would contact each other and play within that timeframe. at the end of the timeframe new pairings would go up. This would be very hard to administer and impossible to adjudicate. It would involve a lot of trust on players parts that players aren't changing decks between rounds.
I would love to be involved in an online tournament but I could never set aside enough time to be online for it. I usually never stay online for an hour at home. At work I am on constantly but behind a firewall.

R

Riva Iron-Grip

well i know this sounds bad, but you people need to make more time, or just not complain. my bro does that alot and i'm sick of the wineing

R

Riva Iron-Grip

if he says yes then i'll help you organize it. we should pick a time to play it. and a room on mIRC like #type-random

E

Erbrich

That the only real way we could get enough people for the tourney would be to do as Almindhra first suggested and make it over a span of time and not all at once. Personally, that's way too long to be looking at a computer screen. If we did it over a span of time, then people could find time to do it instead of MAKING time to do it, which isn't always possible for some people.
I like Almindhra's suggestion and would be willing to organize if you give me the word to do so.

Erb

L

Leshrac

Hasn't anyone here ever been to an E-League tourney (or one IRL, for that matter)? Normal tournaments start at a set time and end when they're over. Next time around it looks like I'll have to announce it on MOTL, but then don't be surprised if 200 people all want to play. ;)

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Calm down there Leshrac :)

I had an idea that might work - we'll see. Of course you know about it now, because I just told you on ICQ. Hehe

E

Erbrich

We know that the tournaments you run start at a certain time and end when they're over. We are seeing a lack of people able to do that, so we want to have our own tourney that will be more relaxed time wise so as to allow more people to take part.

Erb

L

Lythand

I would have to agree..I am only on the pc after 1230 am eastern standard time..so its hard to play a tourney any other time

R

Riva Iron-Grip

i have an idea. every one who thinks that they want to compete in the tourney, needs to download mIRC. then the tournament will be open from friday at noon pacific time, till 11:30 pm pacifiic time on sunday. now that allows everyone to come in and go as they please. but you have to be honest on how many games you play. and whether you win or not.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really think that's all that practical, and if I tried to stay on that long to moderate I'd end up in divorce court for sure! ;)

Almindhra,
I'm sorry. I think I must have misunderstood you. Is it mIRC or Pirch that you'd rather not have to download? I don't blame you, but we're hoping that we'll be able to use a chatroom on NewNet's web page, http://www.newnet.net/ to do this. I'm not sure, but I think maybe you wouldn't need an IRC program to use that. Either way, we'll need to have somewhere that we can get together and exchange information, or there's no way we can pull this off.

I have an idea. Why don't we start a league for those of us who can't make the tourneys. Maybe a Gizmo Highlander league like Orgg suggested? We'd need a Tournament Organizer, then everyone could sign up on a thread here in this forum and PM each other to set up gametimes. Results could be reported to the TO via the PM system too, and you set a time limit up for the league, say, a month or 2, then the participant with the A)most points or B)highest winning percentage at the end would be the winner.

Judging would have to be up to the players though, since they'd be playing on their own, and any disputes would likely have to void the match. And we'd have to make it so you can only play the same opponent once, thereby encouraging everyone's participation, and cooperation.

But that would make it a lot harder on the players, since they'd have to actively seek each other out for games. Personally, I think the tournament idea is a better one, since for me it's easier to set a time and date for me to be there, and to make whatever arrangements are neccessary for me to participate. But I realize that's not the case for everyone.

Thoughts?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
As I (think) I said before, I'd love to play but have NO time ANYTIME. Well, actually, that's not true :) as during the fall some time MIGHT free up but honestly, I don't see my being able to participate.

And that's a BAD thing. :(

But you asked... :)

R

Riva Iron-Grip

hey, i like the league idea. but sometimes pp; have homework, or are out of town, so it's gonna be kind hard. but i'll try

A

Almindhra

Right Tomb, I don't want to download either of those...I don't know about a chat room, I have never thought of that...But even the chat room here at the CPA, no one goes to...Well we have to find someone to organize this...I wish I could do it, but with college and everything, I can't...( I really have to focus on my school work )...So I'd like to appoint someone I feel I can trust to run this thing...So if anyone would like to be this person, PM me and tell me why I should chose you...That sounds fair...

Ok, here was my idea...Once we decide a format, we have sign ups for a few days of who wants to be in this tournament...Everyone signs up, and then we have a list now...Then theres random pairings...Maybe you could just roll a dice and give everyone a number...Anyways...Then you post whos to play who...Now, its up to those people to talk to each other and work out a time when they can play against each other...( Notice: Its unfair to tell your opponent that you can only play in a 30 min window at 4am, so think about the other person you're playing against )...And they can have a few days, maybe 3?, to schedule a match of best out of 3...

Now heres something I've been thinking about...Rules...I know some people aren't too good with rules...Especially people who are deemed as casual players...So I don't know what to do if theres a rules question...Help think of one...Maybe a player could have AIM? or be in the deemed chat room where someone could help them?...

So then after their match, they can copy the text box on Apprentice and PM it to the Tournament Leader (TL), and on the bottom they can say who won...This way, the leader can look at the text box and see whats going on if there happens to be a disagreement of some sort...Then the TL can post the standings on the boards of who won and what not...

Now since this is going to be a long process, I think it should single elimination...We could go on forever if it wasn't...And I don't think there should be some prize...I'd like to do this for fun, wouldn't you?...

Ok, thoughts and PM me with "leader applications"...

A

Almindhra

Now, if we don't want to do the tournament...We should make a league or sorts...I know a lot of people are always trying to find someone to play appr against...Someone can organize a chat room (or AIM, ICQ) and a list of names of people who are interested in joining...And then you can play casual games with CPAers whenever you wanted...

R

rkoelsch

This thread is getting long. Maybe break it down into a couple like one on voting tournament or league
one on format
another on organiztion
this sounds like it will be fun and I will follow but the person that actually organizes this is in for a lot of work.