So, what are you guys gonna play?

S

superguy

Any ideas? I already made the deck I'm gonna play- blue control, with some artifacts. But it will sure be fun to see and/or play some of the creative decks you guys will make. So, if you need help, wanna express your opinion, or share a decklist, post it here. :)

Z

Zadok001

I'll be helping out with running the tourney, so I won't be playing... But a quick look at the card lists (VERY preliminary), I'm guessing Blue will be very, very good. On the other hand, undefined environments have a tendancy to lean towards beatdown, so it could swing either way...

But really, look at the cards! Blue has _everything_. Control Magic for a bit of card advanatage, with Mana Drain, Force of Will, Force Spike, and good ol' Counterspell as backup. Browse provides card advantage, and thins your deck. Hell, Thawing Glaciers is legal, how can blue NOT dominate? :) I'm guessing Draw-Go will be very, very popular.

Which brings me to my next point, beating the metagame. With Draw-Go all over the place, I think Burn might do well too... Since players have such short notice to build decks, expect a lot of speed as well. Alliances offers some great additions to a controllish old-style Sligh deck, Balduvian Hordes, Death Spark, Guerrilla Tactics, etc... Might have trouble with early countermagic, which is, as I said, a big deal. :) But there's Burnout, Pyroblast (which has it's opposite too), etc...

Hmm... Now that I think about it, I see White deeply troubling both of those decks, Keldoran Outpost, more importantly... That'll beat up Blue badly, and there's some nice blockers to stop Red. I dunno...

Gizmo, any thoughts to add, or would you just like to cut mine to shreads again? You're the metagame theorist, not me! :) Go to it!

A

arhar

Oh C'MON!!!

I'm not playing, as I'm helping to set up the tournament as well, but gimme a break! Haven't we all heard the word "metagame" enough? Blue control? Sligh? "Break the metagame"??!!? Isn't this supposed to be a FUN tournament? How about a three-color Elder Dragon monstrosity?

Z

Zadok001

Don't I wish. If this were a CPA run tourney, I'd agree completely; but it isn't. MOTL is involved, and that means E-League will be in on it as well. That means people who are very, very used to Apprentice and online tourneys may end up playing, and they _will_ be working to build the best deck they can.

I'd perfer it wasn't; I've built one deck for the format. It's almost purely artifact, using Mirror Universe as a kill, with the support cards running through all five colors. But not everyone is gonna build like that. Trust me, there will be people doing just what I described, trying to predict and beat what everyone else is playing. Such is the infinite curse of Tourney Magic.

I'll be watching, and hoping that it won't turn out as such. But I won't lay my money on it.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I know *nothing* of anything of those sets, but I was still gonna play, because it would be fun to hang out with the CPA buddies. But if other people are gonna be there....I dont think so. Is there any way we can schedule a private touney on there? Also, gizmo and isty are gonna hate this, but....maybe a MBC6 tourney? (Or type II when US block leaves)

*FoR runs for cover*

A

Almindhra

I know I don't have icq...And its a pain to learn...But can't we make our own tournament, I don't know what format, using Apprentice?...We could have signups...And then pair off...And in such a such a time the two people have to be done with their match (they both decide a time to do it), and they report, and there has to be an agreement of who won, if not, both will be disqualified...Then you just have pairings until a winner is announced...Exclusive to CPA members...

Sound like a good idea?...

P

Plaguelord

Just out of curiosity...does anyone have the magic interactive encyclopedia for online play?

S

superguy

I know that this one is gonna be competitive, but let's face it, all we need to run a casual tourney with CPAians only, is to get a channel, and set the date and time. Pairings and such can be done manually. I am nopt against the current one, but I also think we should have our own.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But what's to prevent someone here (I have no idea who, this is theoretical) from "running off" or just casually mentioning to someone else on another board that a tourney's going to be held here and "everyone" rushes to be a CPA member to be in on it?

(yeah, right... but it CAN happen... it'll push our numbers way up, that's for sure).

Why not also/instead dictate a format for the tourney? Like all-commons, highlander, 1 rare only, etc... that might get the atmosphere more "casual" than just restricting it to CPA members.

R

rkoelsch

But I made up a deck anyway. Here it is for everyone to tear up. Sheltered Strike

4-Tundra Wolves
4-White Knights
4-Thunder Spirits
4-Phrexian Warbeasts
3-Serra Angels

1- Balance
4- Land Tax
3- Armageddon
3- Disenchants
3- Sword to Plowshares
2- Wraths of God
2- Scars of the Veteran

1- Zuran Orb
1- Sol Ring
1- Mana Vault

4- Sheltered Valleys
16 Plains

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Woah! Time out there!

1. MOTL is barely involved. We're only really using it since Leshrac approached me with the idea way back when, and he wrote the (extensive) web based software for it.
2. He hasn't even announced it on his page! I highly doubt there will be many (if any) MOTLing, non-CPAing people there.
3. And actually - the only place it's been actually announced is here!
4. E-League is nowhere near this.

N

Neo_Keo

What is MOTL? and everything you guys say makes it a gluteus maxagila to play a simple friendly group tourney. I wouldn't know how hard it is . I just got apprentice and I also have Magic the interactive Encyclopedia. The Encyclopedia has nice pictures but it has to many bugs to be realy good.

L

Leshrac

MOTL is the Magic Online Trading League (www.magictraders.com). I wrote the software the manages the tournaments via a web interface primarily for running Type Random tournaments. This is only a test tournament to see how things work out and what problems, if any, arise. I haven't annouced the tournament on MOTL because I don't want 10,000 people signing up for a test tournament. ;) Regarding the degree of competition for the tournament, it really is supposed to be a relaxed environment. The whole point of having random sets is so that people use their creativity and try to build decent decks on their own. It's all about discovering untried combos and everyone playing with a "rogue" deck. Remember, there isn't a prize involved for this tourney, so just have fun. :)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Though I was under the impression it was a Sealed-Type event. But it IS for CPA'ers mainly, for now at least, and if a bunch of new people want to sign up just for a fun tourney, well, it sounds to me like they'd be our kind of people anyway!

The more the merrier, as they say! :D

Being a constructed type of format will help things move along a bit more smoothly, though I'm sure we'll end up trying a Sealed event sometime. What we really need to do here is test everything and get everyone set up with the neccessary software to pull this off.

I'm supposed to be helping moderate this thing, but until today I wasn't able to get into the NewNet server. I'm not exactly an expert about these things (rather the opposite, actually) but I'd imagine quite a few of our prospective participants are in the same boat I'm in.

I think it would be a good idea for any of us who's interested in playing in online tourneys here to get into this one, if for no better reason than to make sure we're all set up for when the tourneys are for real.

Tomorrow's liable to be a bit frustrating while we wait for everything (and everyone) to get all set up, but, in the end we're hoping that by having the test tourney we'll be able to work out all the bugs prior to when it counts.

Does that make sense?

D

dw51688

this would make me to nervous, I am not going to participate, maybe in next years. MAYBE?

T

terzarima

I have to say people lean towards the well worn decks way too much. Sure we all know Blue and Artifacts go together, Green is a great beatdown, and red is the only way to burn. But hey there are different decks out there that need too be put out in the open.

For instance I play a rare Black/White and even odder I play a creature killing deck..... How many people have gotten that idea eh? If you get a brand new idea, many people aren't expecting a deck like that so they don't build one for it...... like I bet we all compare our decks to the ones on the world championship and see what combo's could beat the pro's. But hey! the reason Kai Budde won last year is because he had a brand new Idea.

So my advice is too make up a brand new deck idea that few people play or expect, like maybe a red/blue beatdown. Good luck!

R

Riva Iron-Grip

well i've made up several decks. just forgot what they were. but i'm working on a Noble deck. dont know what's in it yet

M

MaSteRofDisAsTeR6969

Is this a REAL Magic: The Gathering game, or is it an online game, if it is online, how do I play?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally this thread was for decks for the CPA tourney about a month ago... I'm not sure why it keeps getting brought up.