Wot?

K

K1

Does anyone play the new Wheel of Time CCG?

I was thinking about getting into it, but want second opinions. I already know how much of a time and money drain one CCG can be :)

Pretty much, everything I've heard is positive except the new expansion made the game lose any semblance of balance.

A

Almindhra

Its rising up in the top 10 of CCGs purchased...And I'll tell you a little bit about it...Its based on the WoT book series by Robert Jordan, fantasy based...You either play a light or dark deck...For your starting hand you can choose what cards you want...Four cards: One is your starting character, the other can be anything as long as they're not the same type...And after the turns (both players kind of play at the same time) you draw 2 cards for the next turn...

Anyways...So you rotate (tap) your character to generate a resource pool (like a mana pool)...There are 4 ability types, politics, intrigue, the One Power, and combat...On the left side they have how many dice they can roll (yes, its a game of chance, but that makes it fun, and more lifelike as you can't always count on things happening)...Then you play troops and characters and what not...

Everyone starts with 3 pattern tokens I think...And you can win by either killing a taver'en (light side, the starting character Rand, or his other two friends, Mat and Perrin), or the starting forsaken character...And at the end of every turn you battle for a pattern token with your troops and characters...

When there are 20 pattern tokens (either owned by you, opponent, or are neutral tokens) the last battle begins...Everyone fights then and you try to beat your opponent in several different ways...

There are different types of cards other than troops and characters...Events (instants), limited events (sorcerys), advantages (enchanments), and challenges...Which you battle for also when you innitiate a challenge...

Its a really different game than Magic...And the cards are really nice too...So anyone looking into finding a new ccg, heres the one to play...And any questions, just ask...

D

Django

Since I love the books I just had to try this CCG out when I saw it in the store.
Me and a friend purchased it, walked home, opened it and tried to get through the rules.. All I can say is that it's quite complicated. At least at first glance. I have it in my apartment somewhere, and my friend have lost his starter deck. I'll try to get someone to play with me, though. What attracts me to this game the most is, of course, the characters. You know them from the book, and the opportunity to play Demandred (or any of the other Forsakens) in a game is.. tempting. ;)

By the way, when will the next book be released?

A

Almindhra

It is really complicated...But Magic is too...I still don't understand all the rules...Anyways...

The book will be coming out on November 20th...Heres a little peak at it...

http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/Winters_Heart

And if you really enjoy the WoT, you should check out...

http://www.dragonmount.com

It is anything and everything of the WoT...They have a really nice RP there too...Its all in message boards...For anyone out there, if you want to RP, just go there, its great...I'm Almindhra, an Accepted in the White Tower...Its kind of confusing at first, but if you have any questions, just ask...

K

K1

Well, I went ahead and took the plunge. I got the Dragon Reborn Starter, 1 first edition boosters, and 2 dark prophecy boosters.

Your right Django, the game is complicated, and there are a LOT of things to consider when deckbuilding. But I think this is a good thing, because it allows for a lot of variation in the playable decks. Also, the variation is not from bad or boring cards, like so many ppl think of MBC.

Personally, the best way to learn is not from the rulebook but from watching ppl play. I met a very friendly playgroup today at the local neutral ground, and they were very helpful, stepping through a sample game, even though they wanted to playtest decks. Finding such a group can be a BIG help in learning and having fun.

As for the game quality, I love it. There's a high amount of player interraction that goes on, and games are typically 45 minutes to an hour, which I like more than the 5 minute slambang games of magic. It is a little long, but its fun. I also love the series, which gives the CCG a little more value for me, but you don't have to have read em to appreciate the game.

Also, there's dice rolling involved, so the outcomes are never predetermined. This is also a good or bad thing depending on your playstyle I suppose, but I think it enhances the game in general.

K

K1

Speaking of The Wheel of Time, how many of you people have read the series?

I'd recommend it; It starts off one of the best I've ever read, but the last couple of books have been kinda blah. Path of daggers especially, it seemed mostly moving groups of people from point A to point B.

But at least that means there will be massive amounts of character interraction/development in the next book come November! :)

K1

A

Almindhra

I'm trying to get through the rest of book 5 before school starts...( Its starts Mon, 28th )...So I guess its not going to be finished by then...So in 2 years thats how far I've read through...I know, sad...ut during the school year I'm too busy...Maybe it'll be different now that I'm college...Anyway...We talked about tWoT some weeks ago...And I found the thread for you...

http://www.magic-singles.com/cpa/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1535

D

Django

I must say that I agree with K1. The last couple of books have been.. well, boring. I'm sad to say this, since I love the series so damn much. There's just not much action going on.. just a bunch of people (the Sedais mostly) moving around, reflecting over really irrelevant things.
I want more Forsakens and I want more battles like the one at Dumai Wells.. Asha'man r0x0r! :)

As for the RP. I'll check it out. Think I'm gonna be a darkfriend if I decide to play. :D

Great websites by the way, Almindhra.

A

Almindhra

Thanks!...I'm glad I tripped over Dragonmount...And I'm glad I joined the RP...I love it...

K

K1

Question for Almindhra:

The rule book doesnt specifically state, but I take it troops can't recruit?

A

Almindhra

Yup, you're right...The only thing I'm not sure about it, can Characters, when they've come into play that turn, rotate to do an abilty?...Not rotating for generating symbols...ie: Min

N

nanokill

I play the game and I loveit.:D I have read all of the books and own them and I can't wait till the new book of the set comes out in a month.:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p:p

K

K1

I don't see why characters couldnt rotate for ability. After you recruit them, they go to the homefront ready. Since you're still in the action round in which you can use an effect on a card.

Unless the cards specifically states it, there appears to be no 'summoning sickness.'