Ideas for Hunted anything

K

Killerbob

I´m playing some 5-star (Legacy) now and then, and I think the "hunted" creatures must be very strong in that game. These are the creatures:

Hunted Dragon
3RR (5), Creature - Dragon 6/6
Flying, Haste.
When Hunted Dragon comes into play, put three 2/2 white Knight creature tokens with first strike into play under target opponent's control.

Hunted Horror
BB (2), Creature - Horror 7/7
Trample.
When Hunted Horror comes into play, put two 3/3 green Centaur creature tokens with protection from black into play under target opponent‘s control.

Hunted Lammasu
2WW (4), Creature - Lammasu 5/5
Flying.
When Hunted Lammasu comes into play, put a 4/4 black Horror creature token into play under target opponent's control.

Hunted Phantasm
1UU (3), Creature - Spirit 4/6
Hunted Phantasm is unblockable.
When Hunted Phantasm comes into play, put five 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens into play under target opponent's control.

Hunted Troll
2GG (4), Creature - Troll Warrior 8/4
When Hunted Troll comes into play, put four 1/1 blue Faerie creature tokens with flying into play under target opponent's control.
{G}: Regenerate Hunted Troll.

...and hunted wumpus, but that is a diffrent matter. Would give a lot of stylepoints to include it though.

Giving opponent creatures is fun. givng them to your allies might even be good, and you get a cheap creature for yourself. It might work. But which way is the best to go? Which cards make good synergy? Have anyone tried to build a deck based on any of these?

Hunted troll is easy. He fits well with defense of the heart. Throw in some forbidden orchards, and defense should trigger each time (if it survives). I´m considering green, but I dont like the fact that the troll doesnt have trample. Besides playing defense of the heart nearly forces you to play some fatties, which you really cant hardcast. And you have 8 4-drops. I believe it lacks stability.

Hunted horror is scary. 7/7 trample for bb. Extremely aggressive guy. But the centaurs are very strong against a black deck, and black have to be your main color. Good ideas are welcome :) Some maze of ith might be a start. It should be great fun in MP anyway.

Hunted phantasm. He would fit well in my varchilds war-riders/ chaos moon deck, if he wasnt very blue. But he is. Chaos moon is a fun way to solve problems with red 1/1-critters, but echoing truth is of course the easy way. Its not synergy, just a solution. Splashing green for defense of the heart would be ok. This guy is a 3-drop and has evasion. Its better than the monogreen version. is defense of the heart really the only synergy available?

Hunted dragon. I like this card. You and you ally might kick you opponent for 12 when this guy hits the table. Hes a little costy, but has great surprisevalue. The knights arent that dangerous in MP. Brand is a very nice red card. Its cheap and have cycling. High stability.

Hunted lammasu. He´s the most safe of these creatures. Your opponent only get one creature, and you are able to block it. He´s a 5/5 flyer, and that is very good. One single wall or maze should be enough to ensure, that the horror goes somewhere else. If you really think its worthit path of peace gives YOU life for the token.

Right now I´m working on a WR-build with 4 hunted lammasu and 2 hunted dragon. Not because these are the strongest creatures, but because I can include brand, varchilds war-riders and wall of shards (the give-life wall).

Some would probably include noetic scales in some build, but I dont believe it would be very good.
Any good ideas for hunted creatures?

L

Limited

I've played a lot with the Hunted creatures, and would encourage you to play them!

Good cards to combine with the Hunted creatures:
- Oblation. Especially with the Hunted Lammassa which gives your opponent only one token. Because you own the token, you get to draw the card!
- Necroplasm. At the end of the turn you play it, it destroys all tokens. :D
- Leyline of Singularity. Token creatures have a name equal to their creature type (unless the name is specified) so making them legendary destroys all of them.
- Night of Soul's Betrayal; great against the 1/1 tokens!

And of course, cards that deter people from attacking (you): Calltrops, Powerstone Minefield, Hissing Miasma, Watchdog, Ghostly Prison, Propaganda.

I used Hunted Troll with Savage Twister and Skargg, the Rage pits. Squall Line would also be great. I combined it with Burning Sands, but that was just nasty.
I used Hunted Lammasu & Hunted Horror in one deck, with Necroplasm and Oblation.
I used Hunted Phantasm in an Ire of Kaminari deck with Earthshaker.
Hunted Dragon was the finisher in a deck with Martyr of Ashes and Grim Harvest.

Hopes this helps. Please post your decks here ;)

K

Killerbob

Thanks for your ideas. They are all very nice. I dont know much about cards from the last 3-4 years, so most of this is new to me. I can add that I have tried Dingus staff, Infectous rage (great fun with 20 tokens and other creatures in play, but takes time. If I dare to play this card again, I would probably have to find another playgroup. "This is fun ONE time!" they said :) ) and Warp World with Varchilds War-riders. These ideas could also work with some of the hunted creatures.

Are you sure that you get to draw the cards from oblation, when you are not able to shuffle-in tokens?

This is the deck I consider at the moment. I have to buy most of the newer cards, so it will probably take some time before the deck will see play.

9 plains
4 mountain
4 plateau
4 forbidden orchard
1 kor haven
1 wasteland
2 maze of ith

3 mother of runes
3 weatered wayfarer (not sure about the exact configuration of these two)
4 varchilds war-riders
2 wall of shards
2 farrels zealot (more diplomacy :) )
4 hunted lammasu
2 hunted dragon

3 orims prayer
1 null chamber (more diplomacy :) )

4 swords to plowshares
3 orims thunder
4 brand

I considered soldevi sentry for extra diplomacy and for getting a chance to play him :) . But he cant really compete with whites strong 1-drops. Winning now and then is fun too...

N

Nightstalkers

So... is that the only use for Oblation that we've found yet?

L

Limited

Oblation + Psychogenic Probe?
Oblation + Ink-Treader Nephilim?
Oblation + Treacherous Vampire?

Okay, I'm reaching..

By the way, if your friends won't let you play Infectious Rage, try Screams from Within ;)

K

Killerbob

Infectious Rage
Enchant creature.
Enchanted creature gets +2/-1.
When enchanted creature is put into a graveyard, choose a creature at random Infectious Rage can enchant. Return Infectious Rage to play attached to that creature.

It would work fine, but its not as annoying. The problem with Infecious rage is that everytime it returns to play, you have to decide how to chose among the creatures available. Usually some dice-throw will decide. But with more than 20 creatures it is not that simple. Probably some token will get hit and die. Then you hav to decide again. This is extremely timeconsuming. And everyone was looking at me :D

K

Killerbob

More ideas:

Soul Warden
Essence Warden
Intruder Alarm
Invasion Plans

They are all fun MP-cards. They work best with cards that generate several tokens, but I think I will play red for Varchilds War-riders and Brand anyway.

K

Killerbob

I feel like reviving this topic, since I think that I now have a decklist, which I believe to be close to "final". I play the deck almost exclusively in "Pentagram", a 5-player format, in which you win by killing the 2 opponents, which does not sit beside you. These are your "friends" (but as they say "With friend like this, who needs enemies?"). The deck probably works fine in "Free for all" too, but definetely not in any kind og teamgame.

I have chosen to go 3-collor, green, red and blue, since I believe that red and green have the best cards for this theme, and blue adds some extra fun + carddraw.

Decklist (Legacy):

4 taiga
4 tropical islans
4 volcanic island
4 wooded foothills
4 forbidden orchard
1 mountain
1 forest
1 pendelhaven

4 essence warden
4 wall of roots
3 sheltering ancients - maybe 4
4 varchilds war-rider
3 gilded drake - might cut 1
2 man-o-war - might cut 1 or both
1 shard phoenix
3 hunted dragon

4 defense of the heart
4 brand
3 echoing truth
2 trade secrets - havent played this yet, earlier versions used keep watch, but unfortunately reality didnt match my dreams, so Now I´m trying something else. If the test works fine, I might include 1 single firestorm :)

Early versions used more reactive cards like briar patch and earthquake, but I dont think the deck needs it in a pentagram game. The tokens are rarely used against me. Earthquake is of course a nice finisher too, but this is an agrodeck, you dont want to choke in lategamecards and reactice cards.
Thunderstaff must be great fun. But I dont have some, and I´ts prabably too reactive. The deck rarely have free mana to pay its activation cost.

Edit: actually, the final decklist doesnt include that man "hunted" creatures, but I think that most cards fit the theme.

F

Force of Will Smith

I believe at one point someone tried to break a tourney viable Black blue with the black and blue hunted, using cards like echoing decay and echoing truth, as well as the blue leyline..

oblation is good, its 3 mana to draw (in white) and remove a creature for a long time..
alternately you can save your own creature.. I've seen people maindeck 4.

T

train

Engineered plague easily deals with token from the troll...

if you ran a mono-white or white/green, you could easily run hurricanes, and paladin en-vecs to handle the tokens created...

K

Killerbob

Echoing decay - I didnt know that card, it seems like a good idea.

I think I will try to make a black/red-version of this decktype. In a casual Legacygame i consider brand and varchilds war-riders mandatory in this decktype. 7/7 is really scary. It must work some way.
But it will take a while (as you probably can see in this thread) since I dont play very often.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Killerbob said:
Giving opponent creatures is fun. giving them to your allies might even be good,
Question:
Can you give them to your allies? Are Allies considered opponents, since you have to target an opponent. I've always played that allies are not opponents.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well, that's probably a personal preference that THEY need to agree on. I don't think that "ally" is an official Magic term. Teammate is, but these are clearly not teammates, since everyone is trying to win by themselves.

Ransac, cpa trash man

K

Killerbob

I agree with Ransac. This is how my playgroup play. There are probably lots of ways to play this type of game. In my group, everyone is considered opponents, and you are allowed to attack anyone.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
If you want some KILLER combo with your deck, you could always through in Dwarven Pony. THAT card combos with everything!

Ransac, cpa trash man

T

train

I think it's the pony that makes it combo... not the "dwarven..."

;)