Type 2 discard deck

P

Plaguelord

I recently posted my Merc deck that I have been designing and got some excelent response (thanx ppl) and that is kind of a long term project. Just so y'all know my favorite color is black so that's what most of my decks are. This is the deck I am currently playing with that I think could use some minor tweaking. And I kinda want to stray from rares 'cause my money is going into the merc deck.

4 Ostracize
4 Duress
4 Stupor
4 Order of Yawgmoth
4 Abyssal Spector
4 Rackling
4 Dark Ritual
4 Terror
4 Snuff Out
3 Rain of Tears
1 Engineered Plague
2 Ascendant Evincar

I included the rain of tears both as a filler and a way to eliminate creature lands (they're popular in my area) and the engineered plague to help clear the board. I added in the evincar because he helps with my discard creatures and my racklings are just as good at 1/1. The deck isn't as effective w/o rath cycle but when it doesn't win its a really annoying deck which is fun too. (my friends and I like to build annoying decks from time to time...my one friend has a deck of nothing but counterspells, propoganda and 1 morphling)

N

nanokill

Greel mind raker would be good (legend spellshaper from phrophecy) so would avatars of woe, hymn to tourach, bb target player randomly discrds two cards. unmask would be good along with ravanous rats , mind slash greel's caress and wheel of tortures. these might help

P

Purple_jester

...but I don't restrict myslf to Type 2 when it comes to casual play. Why should you do the same?

Lesee... How much is Wheel of Torture or The Rack in your area? If they're selling cheap (despite their rarity) grab 'em, because they'll be better than Rackling any day of the week.

Now, I don't recommend 4 Ostracize unless your environment is full of decks heavy with creatures. And I don't think that you need to use Rain of Tears as a filler. Creature lands can be killed by Terrors and Snuff Out just as easily as normal creatures (except the black one). If you're going to go that way, you might as well use Befoul.

Alternative creatures include the ever-popular Ravenous Rats and yes, Alley Grifters. The rats are especially annoying. These two cards are even more annoying when they keep coming back to life. I have version of my discard deck with 4 each of the rats and Grifters, plus 4 Haunted Crossroads. I just keep attacking. If the rats die, then I can cast them again for an additional discard. If the Grifters are blocked (and usually die) then they discard a card, and I recast it later to do it all over again. If they're not blocked, then it's still free 1 or 2 damage each. Either way, it's advantage for me. :)

You don't need Greel. He's rare, normally expensive, overrated, and can be shot down with a single Lightning Bolt or Incinerate.

Uhm, Tapper, Hymn to Tourach was never reprinted. It was a common (!!!) card in Fallen Empires. It's possibly the best common ever, and its power in discard decks is legendary. This card is so useful that it saw regular use even outside discard decks. The only other discard card that I see even coming close is Duress.

N

nanokill

thanks purple_jester i thought i had seen hymn to tourach reprinted in sixth edition