MBC Merc Deck

P

Plaguelord

This is my first post so here goes... This is my merc deck, any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Just so y'all know if you use the conquest magazine message boards, I'm PhyrexianPriest.

Here's the deck...

3 Ascendant Evincar(a 3/3 flier w/ glorious anthem and engineered plague built in)
3 Avatar of Woe(the strongest creature out of mercadian block)
4 Cateran Enforcer(Fear is good...highway robbers are better)
4 Highway Robber(combos well with Enforcer and Haunted Crossroads)
4 Cateran Kidnappers(I never got in the habit of searching with the Rathi Assassin)
4 Skulking Fugitive(if someone targets it, it will probably die anyway...)
4 Cateran Persuader(Get me one mana drops, also really nice with the evincar)
4 Rampart Crawler(every deck needs one mana drops)
4 Dark Ritual(a black mage w/o rituals is probably losing)
3 Snuff Out(Until the Avatar comes out)
3 Haunted Crossroads(Bring it all back again)

Thanx for your tips in advance.

P

plaguelord2000

hi this deck looks preity good. i saw a few things that you might want to consider. first mercinary's never were to good at searching, so maby you want to loose the psuders. they arnt that great. next try taking away 2 crawlers, 1 avator of woe.
3 avators are to much and the alternative paying cost is rediculess. you have 7 free spots to add stuff i would say 2 dark triums the card that makes all your creatures +2+0 until end of turn. anouther haunted crossroads. 2 catariun slavers the 5/5 beat stick for black, a third if you remove anouther kidnapper and 2 death pit offerings and a highway robber.this is what your deck looks like now.

cretures 25
3 acident evincicar
2 avator of woe
3 caterain slaver
4 caterain enforcer
4 highway robbers
3 caterain kidnappers
4 skulking fugitive
2 rampart crawlers

other 16
4 haunted crossroads
2 death pit offerings
2 dark trimuph
4 snuff out
4 dark rituals

lands 20
17 swamps
3 highmarkets

the reason i added the highmarkets is becouse theres a combo in this deck with it. its highway robber+ haunted crossroads+ highmarket. this alows you to get 3 life every turn and your apponent to loose 2 life.i hope the deck is beter i think i could be. until later fellow magic player

N

nanokill

just to tell u avatar of woe comes from prophecy
and
terrors would be a nice addition along with or without the snuffouts

rystic tutors would held get out the avatars and evincars
and cateran summons would bring the merc bad boys to your hand
also could use some cheap fliers ,some misshapen fiends or
molting harpies would be good

C

Cateran Overlord

Actually, the Persuader is one of the best searchers. I have a pretty viable merc deck posted somewhere around here.

T

The Magic Jackal

There are two basic strategys in MBC w/ mercenary. Merc rush, and Merc burn. I perfer the former, It is really fast and can overwhelm just about any deck given the right hand.

Merc Rush

Land:
22 swamps

Creatures
4 rampart crawler
4 molting harpy
4 catearen pursueder
1 agent of shauku
4 rathi intimidator
2 rathi assassin
4 delraich

Spells
4 dark ritual
4 dark triumph
4 snuff out
3 haunted crossroads

I'm trying to post this deck from memory, so I may be missing a few cards. I playtested a lot with this deck before the ptq and was almost about to play it. The main strategy is to play lots of fast critters, then either finish them off with a dark triumph or a delraich. Either way works well, and the haunted crossroads can easily replenish any guys who get killed.

Merc Burn

land:
20 swamp
4 peat bog

Creatures:
4 catearen enforcer
4 rathi fiend
4 highway robber
4 rathi intimidator
4 thrashing wumpus

Spells:
4 Rhystic tutor/catearen summons
4 haunted crossroads
4 dark ritual
4 massacre

Once again, this deck is from memory. Although it is slower than Mercenary rush, Merc burn can be a lot more powerful. The strategy here is to Play an enforcer and then bring in all the robbers and fiends, thus "burning them to death.
It's man problem is decks like rebel that play a lot of quick creatures. That is why there are 4 wumpus and massacre maindeck. They can also be used to kill your robbers/fiends to be brought back for extra burn if needed.

I hope this helps you.