Representing CPA at a tournemant.

B

Baron Sengir

Uh, let me think about this ...

Heck no, I don't have a problem! That sounds cool beyond belief! Of course, the other members have to okay it first but so far consider me your first supporter.

I remain
The Baron
A CPA magic team in England? This thing is bigger than I ever imagined ...

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Nope, no problem with it--as long as you don't play Bargain.
Thieves' Auction is quite alright.

-mike

Ferret

Staff member
That would be kinda' cool. It seems to contradict quite a bit what I thought we stood for, but it could get us lots of publicity and I know lots of Casual Players go to these kind of things...

-ferret

"...if everyone signed, 'CPA' after all of their names we'd be like an internation team!"

N

Novastorm1

I realise that the terms 'casual' and 'tournemant' are almost opposite, but would it be okay if a team I am starting out in England shares your team name...calling itself Team CPA?
The team consists of two of my friends and I. We are all college students and will just use it as an excuse to play more magic :)

Our members have won plenty of small time tournemants and between us we came 4th, 17th, and 25th at the urzas destiny prerelease at the nationals in England. We don't wish to 'break' cards and refuse to spend time play testing combo decks unless we discover secret 'tech'. We would post our recent tourny results up each time we attend and wouldn't disregard your name or make fools of ourselves (much). In the near future we are attending a professional magic tournemant are are choosing to play theives auction decks :), entitled Urzas Auction (tm). Anyways the question again:

Would you object if we called ourselves Team CPA and represented you guys?

Thank you.

Z

Zadok001

Sounds cool, actually! I've been looking for an excuse to play a really scrubby deck recently, Team CPA would be a perfect way to confuse all the other players even more!

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic
CPA Member
"We have more sprouts than they have hands."

N

Novastorm1

Here is the deck we will be playing:

Urzas Auction.dec V 2.1
2 x Claws of Gix
3 x Thieves Auction
2 x Crater Hellion
2 x Lightning Dragon
3 x Wake of Destruction
4 x Avalanche rider
2 x Gamble
1 x Mishras Helix
2 x Masticore
3 x Ring of Gix
3 x Thran Dynamo
4 x Fire Diamond
4 x Voltaic Key
4 x Grim Monolith
4 x Sandstone Needle
2 x Crystal Vein
2 x Rishaden Port
1 x Phyrexian Tower
14 x Mountain

B

Baron Sengir

Looks like a pretty brutal landkill deck, man. Child of Gaea and I will be attending States here in South Dakota on the 27th. Maybe I'll play something along these lines.Landkill is the tool of the devil, as far as I'm concerned. Nothing is worse than being manascrewed and decks that do it to you on purpose are evil. In a tourney however ... I'd like to see a pro player flounder over not having enough mana. What do you suggest for a sideboard?

Plus, we can spread the word about us.

BTW, what's holding up the site? Or is it up and I'm just completely out of the loop?

I remain
The Baron
Still Brutal after all these years

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
I'll keep it simple: it's up.
http://www.casualplayers.org OR
http://www.magic-singles.com/cpa/

-mike

N

Novastorm1

Sideboarding is always difficult, and to be honest I sometimes find it harder to build a sideboard than a deck. With the loss of the amazing bottle gnomes, which were staple to all my sideboards, I think it is very hard to sideboard. So lets take a look at the best sideboard cards available to red:

Scald -best vs blue
Meltdown -good vs artifacts but in this deck...jeez do I even need to explain why :)
Rivalry -An excellent sideboard card, wrecking a lot of different decks.
Boil- Another good card against blue that no one cares about because apparently blue is 'dead'. However, this deck tends to be very suceptable to a single counterspell at the right moment, wrecking the strategy, though the echo creatures are impossible to steal, which is convenient. Anyone would think I designed the deck that way to work with Theives Auction :)
Anyway it may be good to sideboard heavily vs blue because it tends to be the nightmare matchup.
Thran Foundry- Good vs control black with yawg will (The only reason this card isn't banned is because it is a 'late game' card and apparently wizards want a 'late game'...whatever. Also good vs replenish and any form of recursion.
Thran Lens- Best defence vs pro red creatures and only way to deal with worship.
Rack And Ruin- Almost missed this out...best option in the mirror matchup or vs other mono brown decks.
Powder Keg- Yeah I know its trash. But its the best we have verses weenies. You might even wanna try these main deck.
Disorder- Surpisingly effective vs white weenie of the new environment due to the removal of the quality pro red creatures.
Spellshock- This is the card to play vs combo....absolutely WRECKS bargain.

So heres a revised version of the deck:

Urzas Auction.dec V 2.2
2 x Claws of Gix
3 x Thieves Auction
1 x Wildfire
1 x Crater Hellion
2 x Lightning Dragon
3 x Wake of Destruction
4 x Avalanche rider
2 x Gamble
1 x Mishras Helix
2 x Masticore
3 x Ring of Gix
3 x Thran Dynamo
4 x Fire Diamond
4 x Voltaic Key
4 x Grim Monolith
4 x Sandstone Needle
2 x Crystal Vein
2 x Rishaden Port
1 x Phyrexian Tower
14 x Mountain

Only a few minor adjustments but I've found the one wildfire is nice and is sometimes better than playing the Auction. The deck is still being tweaked and I could use any suggestions and comments.

Thank you.