Types of decks?

D

dax

What kind of decks exist? i mean controle and fast decks, but i have encountered decks i don't know like fade decks and many other. What is the target of these decks?

Thanks

D

Duel

Sorry, there are alot of deck types out there. Here are some:

5 color
5 color green
5 color recurrence
5 color donais
5 color rector
Accelerated blue
Anti swarm
Anti stall
Anti rec
Big (This one's fun)
Blackjack
Black control
Blasto-smurf
Blue speed
Blue control
Cycling deck (Fluctuator and ........)
Decking deck (Also known as omish deck. Uses millstones)
Denial (counterspell)
Donate
Enduring renewal
Graveyard deck (Also known as recurrence)
Life Gain
Living Death
Mercenary
Pandemonium
Rebel
Recurrence
Red Wins 2000
Red Control
Repercussion
Rogue
Secret Force
Sligh
Stasis
Suicide Black
Tradewind Cradle
Tradewind Geddon
Trix
Underworld dreams
White weenie

And I haven't even named a quarter of them....

C

Cateran Overlord

A deck exists if someone makes it, so there's a nearly bottomless pit of decks out there.

D

Duel

Oh, BTW, I gave those in alphebetical order. How cool is that?

Please, do not answer that question. I cherish my delusions...

D

dax

Ok, i maybe was to vague, but i didn't mean colors (blue speed, blue control) i meant types without colors (speed, control,...). But anyway, thanks. I'll try to be more precice with my next questions.

G

Gizmo

Well basically all decks are either control or fast - there is no other way to play Magic. The dividing line is how you choose to gain card advantage with your deck (it`s ALL about card advantage).

Fast decks gain card advantage by trying to end the game before their opponent can play his cards out.
This is a relevent theory article I wrote for the Dojo Forums:
http://members.tripod.co.uk/candiman/strategy1.htm

Control decks gain card advantage either by use of 2-1 card swaps (Wrathing two monsters with one card, or Stuporing two cards from your opponen`ts hand) or by combining 1-1 card swaps with card-drawing effects.
This is similar article to the last, focusing on control decks:
http://members.tripod.co.uk/candiman/strategy3.htm

Hope that helps - Magic strategic theory is my life.
It`s not much of a life, I know, but it`s all I`ve got.
;)

K

K1

Pretty much everything to be said has been.

As far as I know, all decks fall into 3 categories:

Combo
Control
Weenie Rush

or a combination of the three.

D

Duel

A couple types:
Control
Counterspell
Lockdown
Stompy
Burn
Discard
Creature beatdown

Z

Zadok001

There's gotta be more to it than that, guys! Gizmo, where does Secret Force fit? A deck using both tactics, focusing on the 3-5 casting cost slot, and generally played as being modal, shifting from LD to control to rush to clocker? Everything at once kind of things. Do they fit in somewhere? Necro-Drain? The True Sligh decks? Where do they fit in?

(Aside: K1, the last category is probably better titles 'Speed,' since flat-out Burn doesn't have weenies.)

Or am I talking gibberish as usual?

G

Gizmo

Okay, so I forgot combo. Although they are also usually divided into speed (CadBloom, Bargain) and control types (Stasis, Prison).

Secret Force - Secret Force is hard to define, decks with strong search engines can be modal as you say, although most choose to find one strategy and stick to it (as Living Death did). Hmm.. a third turn Force is certainly a clock, but I think that the spirit of the deck is more control-based (Feeders and Weavers, wasn`t it?) and the Force was often about the card advantage generated by the Verdant than it was about the 7/7 guy himself laying the smackdown. The game rarely ended before turn 5 therefore you gave your opponent plenty of time to use his strategy and I think that makes it Control. It can move fast, but a second turn Skittering Skirge could be a fast kill (turn six with Corrupt backing) but that doesn`t make Black control a beatdown deck - it just makes it a control deck that attacks early.

Classic Sligh - Control. A very beautiful deck, but certainly control every time.

Necro-Drain - Control. 1-1 swaps combined with huge draw effects.

Hard and Fast rule: Unless you are laying down a reliable 5-turn clock then your deck is control.