Mercenary deck (monocolor black)

K

KingAlanI

This deck is one of my better ones, I think, and is also the one I use when I feel like being evil. :)
Anyway, here's the decklist (91 cards total):

Lands (28)
27 Swamp
1 Peat Bog

Creatures (22)
4 Highway Robber
3 Skulking Fugitive
3 Cateran Kidnappers
3 Thoughtpicker Witch
2 Ravenous Skirge
2 Blood Celebrant
2 Strongarm Thug
1 Soul Scourge
1 Demon's Jester
1 Cateran Enforcer

Sorcery (17)
3 Mind Peel
2 Drain Life
1 Consume Spirit
1 Eradicate
1 Syphon Soul
1 Stir the Grave
1 Brainspoil
1 Infernal Harvest
1 Unburden
1 Raise Dead
1 Kaervek's Hex
1 Hymn to Tourach
1 Dirge of Dread
1 Cateran Summons

Enchantment (5)
1 Sicken
1 Enfeeblement
1 Intimidation
1 Scavenged Weaponry
1 Feast of the Unicorn

Instant (12)
2 Terror
2 Slay
1 Death Denied
1 Dark Triumph
1 Echoing Decay
1 Expunge
1 Pull Under
1 Cremate
1 Shred Memory
1 Breach

Artifact (7)
1 Unerring Sling
1 Fellwar Stone
1 Malachtite Talisman
1 Geth's Grimoire
1 Zuran Orb
1 Ashnod's Transmogrifant
1 Fountain of Youth

Suggestions?
I'm thinkign of Aphetto Dredging and perhaps more Cateran Enforcers.

Killer Joe

Oracle text: 2, Tap: Add B to your mana pool for each Swamp you control.

It's an uncommon from Torment, I think it'd do good in your deck since you are a little land shy.

Also, I'd add a tad bit more focus on your utilities like 4x Consume Spirits, 4x Syphon Soul (especially in multiplayer) and 4x Eradicates. Otherwise it's okay.

How well does it do in 2 player and then in multiplayer?

K

KingAlanI

I haven't kept track of how well it plays against other decks, and the records of me playing it against my own decks are based on out-of-date versions of those decks.

I might retest all of mine sometime in the near future.
As for Eradicate, removing the target creature from the game keeps it from being regenerated, right?

Additional mana from Cabal Coffers could be useful, especially if I used some effect to return cards to my hand/draw , the mana enabling me to get those cards right back on the field.

BTW, did you know that the cycle including Eradicate is a reprint of a cycle from Urza's Destiny?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
KingAlanI said:
BTW, did you know that the cycle including Eradicate is a reprint of a cycle from Urza's Destiny?
Heh. I hadn't known they were reprinted. The cycle was sort of unbalanced with Eradicate and Quash seeing a lot of play compared to the others...

So your deck appears to be missing Dark Ritual. Any monoblack deck that doesn't have a very, very good excuse (like being a Nether Void deck or needing to be Standard legal) should include a full set of Dark Rituals. It's probably the coolest card ever.

Tag Guard

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
KingAlanI said:
As for Eradicate, removing the target creature from the game keeps it from being regenerated, right?
Yes. Regeneration helps when your creature is going to recieve lethal damage. Remove from game effects are not lethal damage effects.

J

jorael

A card like Attrition might be interesting. With this enchantmen you can use the fetched mercenaries to take out creatures.