Gatherer popups in card links

G

Goblin

Hi all,

what would I need to do to get card links to open one of those Gatherer popup windows instead of a whole new browser window?

Thanks

G

Goblin

That's what I called the "whole new browser window". The popup I meant is the one you get when you click on card links on magicthegathering.com.
I realize it doesn't make any functional difference, but I like that smaller popup, that doesn't completely cover up the browser window I'm currently reading, better.

G

Goblin

Exactly that.
Sorry for not making communicating that clearly.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Aren't the basically the same thing? The only difference I see is that the Card of the Day link doesn't have the actual Address or Toolbar on top, which is really just a browser setting, I think.

G

Goblin

They are functionally the same thing, in that they both give you the Gatherer info on the linked card.
However, to me the difference is this: a "new browser window" opens up on top of and completely covering my current browser window, and every card link will open up a seperate "new browser window". The "little popup" on the other hand always tries to open so that as much as possible of my current browser window stays visible, and I can keep in open in such a way that the next card link reuses the existing popup window.

As I said, it's not a big thing, I was just curious if and how I could do that.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the upshot of it is no, you can't use it here. I think it's some underlying code on their website that we don't have here (like when you mouse over the card, you see something like "Shortcut to javascript: autocard(x)"

But I think your browser view settings must be different, because whether I open the "new browser window" or the popup window, neither covers my existing browser window all the way.