Saproling Fun(gus)

4EYES

Hi people,

As a newbie on this forum, I thought I'd share a deck build. Probably all of you were thrilled to see Thallids return in Time Spiral, I am sure I was. Here's a deck I made with them. It's a bit restricted by my TS cardpool... Let me know what you think.

Creatures:
3 Savage Thallid
3 Sporesower Thallid
4 Thallid
4 Thallid Devourer
2 Thallid Germinator
1 Thallid Shell-Dweller
3 Thelon of Havenwood
2 Verdeloth the Ancient

Spells/Enchantments/Artifacts:
2 Might of Old Krosa
4 Scatter the Seeds
2 Sprout
4 Night Soil
4 Golgari Signet
2 Weatherseed Totem

Lands:
16 Forest
4 Golgari Rot Farm

Oh, maybe one additional remark: I almost always play in multiplayer games, which probably has affected my deckbuilding... (it makes Night Soil a lot more interesting, for example)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Wow, a deck with a cards I recognize (old cards). That doesn't seem to happen here very often. I'm too rusty to tell how good it might be, though...

Night Soil rules.

T

train

Do you have any Coat of Arms?... Gaea's Cradles?

And there's an enchantment that would allow sac-ing critters for mana if you built enough thallids and needed an X spell...

D

DarthFerret

One of the greatest things about night soil (and overlooked a lot as well) is that it can help get rid of Threshold! I love doing that to people!

Tag Guard

4EYES

DarthFerret said:
One of the greatest things about night soil (and overlooked a lot as well) is that it can help get rid of Threshold! I love doing that to people!
And a lot of other graveyard tricks!

L

Limited

No Deathspore Thallids? They would give you a lot of removal options..
Some landsearching might help smoot out the deck .. perhaps Search for Tomorrow?

Or perhaps a blue splash for Paradox Haze? (I really love that card)

4EYES

You're right, the black thallid would be a good addition. I missed him because I started out with a mono-green version of the deck, and just added black to get the full potential out of Thelon of Havenwood. Landsearching is also a good point...

But what to remove... I guess I could go without Verdeloth the Ancient and the Weatherseed Totem. They are nice, but make me want to make Saproling tokens, which doesn't go well with the Thelon of Havenwood... In those slots, some land searching could be added, or maybe a few copies of Time of Need, to make sure that we get our friend Thelon of Havenwood on the board.

I am not sure about adding blue to the deck, but Paradox Haze would rock in this deck! I don't own any, I believe, but still...

L

Limited

Its probably a good idea to either focus on making Saprolings tokens or accumulate Spore counters.

The first one would, ironically, be Green/Black but would have no need for Thelon of Havenwood. It would pack some mana-accelaration and a way to find Verdeloth, turning all those puny Saprolings into a giant army. This would be a more controllish version of the deck and would really need cards like Death Denied.

The other version would focus more on green, but would need a little bit of black to play Thelon. (This seems to be the way the deck is designed now.) It would need color-fixing, and not mana-acceleration. Something like Terramorphic Expanse would be brilliant. That way, you could also incorporate Paradox Hazes... This version would not require Verdeloth or the Weatherseed Totem. I would put four Might of Old Krosa in a deck like this, because its focuses on combat.

Good luck with updating your deck!