G/R Big Brothers

W

WiseGreen

Rao!

This is a deck I've built on Magic Online... It has performed very well until the moment, but I'd like to gather some suggestions about it. The main idea is playing a lot of cheap critters to a) enable a large Scion of Wild/Ulasht, or b) summon a big nasty guy from my library with Chord of Calling.

4 Llanowar Elves
4 Utopia Sprawl
4 Seal of Fire
4 Scab-Clan Mauler
4 Fists of Ironwood
1 Gruul Guildmage
4 Scion of Wild
3 Ulasht, the Hate Seed
2 Greater Good
1 Indrik Stomphowler
1 Silklash Spider
1 Stalking Vengeance
1 Verdant Force
4 Chord of Calling
1 Skarrg, the Rage Pits
3 Gruul Turf
5 Mountain
13 Forest

L

Limited

Seems like a solid deck with a clear plan: curve nicely from elves into fatties with the Chord of Calling-toolbox backup.

Have you tried replacing the Utopia Sprawl with Borael Druid? Colorless mana might not be what you need, but using an enchantment to accelerate into either the Scion or the Ulasht would be kinda useless. Wild Cantor might also do the trick.
I would pick both of them over the Sprawl just to have a chance that you can play a turn two blood-thirsted Scab-Clan Mauler.

I am also a big fan of the Gruul Guildmage; is a deck with lots of small creatures, its a great backup for combat.

Which brings me to my next question. Do you really need four Chord of Calling? I figure that you only get to play it late game, when an opponent has survived your early onslaught and has thrown some big blockers on the table. Then, you can use the Chord to get the appropriate fattie. In most other cases, you are better of just attacking.

I am also not really sure how helpfull the Greater Good is, but for now I'll just suggest swapping the Utopia Sprawl with Wild Cantor and dropping two Chord of Calling for two more Gruul Guildmages.

Good luck! (and welcome to the boards)

W

WiseGreen

Nice suggestions... I like the boreal druid (or maybe Wall of Roots, once Time SPiral is online) nore than the cantor. Also, I started to use the Guildmages, and they're ALWAYS good. Think I'm gonna try some red rusalkas too!

L

Limited

Perhaps you could even put a couple of Cloudstone Curios. They combo nicely with the Fists of Ironwood and Ulasht.

T

train

What about running wood elves, or fetchers to thin out the deck and assist with drawing into the needed cards?... (A critter and a land never hurts, and bypasses the one per turn for the lands...)

I ran a G/W deck with the woodies and got Akromas in play all the time... that also ran with creature-mana...