Harry Potter

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

Never read the books. My grandmother loved them. My cousins, who live, with her didn't. I just didn't have the time for a book that wasn't something I thought I would like.

Also for duel: I started reading tolken when I was 12, and watched the cartoons when I was like 10. Not every1 is a late bloomer like you:)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
since I always tell people to search for old stuff when it's been mentioned before... :)

I just started reading these over the holidays and man, I can't believe I missed them the first time around. These books are great! My wife and I fought over who was going to read them first... we're on the last one but the first three were excellent. I can see what the hype was all about.

F

fuzzy510

If they did make spells such as Avada Kedavra or any of the other Unforgiveable Curses, they'd probably be very rare.

Z

Zhaneel

I read the Potter books a while ago... several times... I think they're good books

she'll slap me for it, but i think ErinPuff's brother looks like Harry Potter on occasion

C

Cateran Emperor

Personally I prefer Dragonlance when it comes to fantasy books.

Anyone else out there reading the First Dragonarmy Draconian Engineers Regiment (Kang's Regiment) saga? Now that is good reading. Makes you feel sorry for poor Kang, who has WAY too much pressure on him...

C

Crackdown

Harr Potter books are wonderful. I'll admit that they are not a Tolkien Trilogy or Asimov's Foundation series, but they have a universal appeal that grabs kids and adults alike.

My kids read them. I read them. Many of my friends read them.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, when it comes to fantasy, I like lots of things too (Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Midkemia, Belgariad) and the Potter books are no exception. Funny and surprising, they just grab you (well, me) and make me love the heros and hate the enemy (those Durselys! AAARG!)

T

terzarima

Hello everybody!

I finished the first, second and fourth harry potter book in 3 days (woud've been 2 days but I had a 6 hour bottle drive to do) I really like the books, and to make a comparison between this and Tolkein is comparing apples and oranges, honestly (except book wise) so they can't be justified.

And Tom clancy is predictable, same stuff over and over and over again, I personally don't like his stuff...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I've read most of his books but I missed those between Without Remorse and The Bear and the Dragon. I just read the latter while waiting for my wife to finish the Potter books and was slightly disappointed. It was all buildup and short on action (which I love).

Red Storm Rising was the best book so far that I've read by him, though since I read TBATD I want to try Rainbow Six (since there were references to them).

C

Cateran Emperor

Gah, ademis is ALIVE???

Why wasn't I informed? I have to get back to being puzzled by his poetry and beating him silly whenever he gets too clever :cool:

T

terzarima

Yes Cat I am alive, and I'll take adavntage of one of my favorite poems right now;

I hate you with a necessary hate.
First, I sought patience: passionate was she:
My patience turned in very scorn of me,
That I should dare forgive a sin so great,
As this, through which I sit disconsolate;
Mourning for that live soul, I used to see;
Soul of a saint, whose friend I used to be:
Till you came by! a cold, corrupting, fate.

Why come you now? You, whom I cannot cease
With pure and perfect hate to hate? Go, ring
The death-bell with a deep, triumphant toll!
Say you, my friend sits by me still? Ah, peace!
Call you this thing my friend? this nameless thing?
This living body, hiding its dead soul?

P.S This isn't really spam, but kind of yes, so don't bother me!!!

M

Multani

I've read The Bear and the Dragon, and was sickened by it after the first 300 pages. After that, I couldn't read more than a dozen pages at a time without wanting to blow up the entire U.S. because of it. Actually I didn't finish it(It was due before I had the chance.), but the ending is predictable.

U.S.+ Russian Army smash Chinese Army. China launches Ballistic Missiles. A U.S. missile "magically" :rolleyes: blocks it.
Add the unreal aspect and one-sidedness of it, plus the racism, and it makes a horrible book.
I'm surprised some Chinese people haven't sued him for being racist.

Z

Zhaneel

DragonLance books are great... My favorite author is Mercedes Lackey... anybody heard of her?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Multani: Ummm... I agree that it might have been sterotypical of the Chinese, but how do you know it wasn't "racist"? In other words, how do you know that the leaders COULDN'T have thought that way? (not the real-life leaders, just in general)

As a side-note, did you see that news item a couple weeks back about releasing confidential notes about T. Square and how it looks like/might have been a power struggle in the Politburo? It sounds *slightly similar...

Zhaneel: I've read the original Dragonlance books but gave up after they started churning out small stories and sequels. So I haven't heard of your author. ;)

Y

yawnmoth

That's what's scary - that LotR is not even selling for that much, despite the fact that the quantity avialable today is probably substantially less than the quantity of Harry Potter books avuialable today...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think people are more conscious of "collectible" items today than they were back then, so they're more active in seeking out what is currently "hot". However, probably most people who are interested in Tolkien have already read or have his books and are not as concerned about having a first-print edition.

In other words, Tolkien is "old news" while Potter is "new news".