The Dumbest thing thing happened...

L

Lythand

This is just to hear some of the dumbest things you may have ever done to loose a game..or the dumbest thing you opponant did to let you win a game.

Oh..and one thing. Dont be ashamed of posting them. We have all done them at one time or another. And thats how we learn to become better :)

I have done quite a few dumb things to cost me a game, but one of the most recent things I can think of..well it didnt cost me a game. but it did cost me to waste a spell...

I was Playing Trinity green. After siding in Perish, it was the second round. My opponant cast Thran lense to make all permants colorless. I then cast Perish, not realizing what the lense did. And all I can say is DUH!?!?!?

I can also remember my opponant playing fecundity green. the object is to cycle thru your deck making creatures (Saporling Burst), sacing them to the ashnods altar , then drawing a card cause a creature went to your grave yard(Fecundity). Well with Fecundity, you MAY draw a card. What he did was, he drew all the way down to the last card. He saced a creature to the ashnods altar, recieved two mana. Used one mana to discard a card to saporling burst to make a creature. He now has a creature in play, about 56 mana in his pool. He sacs the creauter to the altar...and decides not to draw a card. Now that he hasnt drawn a card, he doesnt have it to discard to make another creature, wich he can sac to the Altar, and draw another card. He therefor broke his combo, and could not complete in killing me. He even had a Thran Foundry to sac and reshuffle his Graveyard into his Library. I promptly killed him the next turn playing a Bargain deck.

Z

Zadok001

I am with G/r aggro deck from the age of Tempest block and Mirage. My opponent, Sakurai, is the absolute best player I have ever known, and is with his W/r Mogg Maniac/Martyrdom deck (a true beating). The only other player left was finished last turn when a bunch of damage was Martyrdomed through Sakurai's Maniac. Sakurai finished his turn by using Angelic Renewal to get his Maniac back and then played it again.

My turn. I have five creatures on the board, totally 15 damage even if he blocks with the Maniac. He is at 10. I am at 1. If I attack, and he Martyrdoms, I die. I know this. He knows this.

Sakurai sits across the table, with a very smug expression on his face. There is no way I can do this by halves, I can either stay put, or I can go all out. If I do attack, current rules say that (assuming he had no Martyrdom) he would die first, so I would win.

I stay put.

There are two problems with that descision. First of all, if he attacks me, I die no matter what! If I block, the Maniac gets me. If I don't... The Maniac gets me. The second problem? Well, with me being so afraid of the Instant of Doom (aka Martyrdom), I forgot to notice one _TINY_ little detail.

Sakurai had no cards in his hand.

Yes, I am a collosal dumbass.

----------------

I with black, Corrupts, Skirges, Masticores, the whole Control Black deal of early Saga block. My opponent, once again, is Sakurai, with a G/w oddball stalling deck. He's barely kept himself alive the past few turns. My Masticore has completely owned the board, but can't seem to break through Sakurai's last lines of defense. I am stuck with only two cards in my hand due to the 'Core.

During my upkeep, I discard some random card leaving myself another random useless card. I draw... CORRUPT! Whoo-hoo! I have 6 Swamps, Sakurai is at 7. So close... I decide to use my mana this turn to kill a few more blockers with the 'Core. Next turn, I tell myself, I will discard this random card in my hand, draw, and then play Corrupt, and hopefully attack with my 'Core for the win! Score!

My next turn rolls around. I discard the random card. I draw my card, and immedietely tap out for the Corrupt, dropping Sakurai to one.

See the mistake?

At this point, I look down at my Masticore, and realize I'll be feeding him the Swamp I just drew during my next upkeep. Oops. God, I suck at this game...

(Actually, I did win that one, Masticore broke through a few turns later. But still!)

"... I've made worse errors, but they're too embarrassing..."

D

Duel

I remember that game!

Here's one that's not me. I won't use the real name.

Player 1: I cast thorn elemental.

Players 2: I counterspell. (He pays 2 green and puts a fog from his hand into the graveyard)

Player 1: Damn! Okay, go.

[Too bad he had to go and try to use an Elf as a Dark Ritual on the next turn... He might have gotten away with it! :) --Zadok001]

Another one:

My counterspell deck is facing off against a bargain/drain deck of my brother's. I have palinchron, indentured djinn, and two mishra's workshops (The lving land one?) in play. He's at 9 and has a nether spirit in play.
I know he has a rhystic syphon in his hand. He knows I he has a rhystic syphon in his hand. I have 4 mana, not counting the workshops. I do not, I repeat, do not attack with both workshops. I want to keep enough mana open to stop his syphon.....

And a third:

I'm playing red/green pademonium/sneak attack. I have a greater good out, and a sneak, and a pandemonium. I'm playing a 5 player game. I sneak out a skyshroud behemoth. I sac it to greater good. I draw two thorns, I cast them and sac them to greater good. Then I cast a avatar of might and do the same. Pity my deck only had 30 cards left...

Finally, the end:

Demonic consultation, naming cateran enforcer. looking through my deck, and remembering taking out the enforcer that morning. Ouch.

A

Apollo

This one isn't me. I'm playing in the Prophecy prerelease. The winner of this match will win a prize. My opponent and I are still on our first game, and we are in to our 5 turns. On his 2nd turn, I have two cards left in my deck and know I am going to lose. He's at 4, but has that Sac a Land Healer out that will keep him alive easily. All he has to do is draw and say go for a couple turns. He draws and plays Snuff Out on a random creature. Yippee.

In another similar example, I'm playing a W/U control mage with my red weenie/burn deck. It's the 3rd game of our match, playing in the finals. I get our an early Havoc and do some quick damage, but the only white cards in his deck is 4 Wraths and a couple Swords. He gets control when he Wraths, taking him down to two, and has plenty of counters to stop my burn. I get out a Flunky, which isn't going to do me any good. On my opponent's turn, he draws, giving him 8 cards. To avoid discarding, he Wraths just to get rid of my Flunky. I love Havoc. I win a bunch of packs. :)

In yet another example, I'm playing my weird Pande-Burst-Oath deck against another U/W control deck. It's the third game of the finals of the winner's bracket. I lost my Turnabouts, so my deck has no chance vs. control. I only won the 1st game thanks to mana screw. In the 3rd, I have a Pandemonium in play, but he's countering every chance to get the Burst. He has his Outpost in play, and is killing me. I half-heartedly play a last chance Replenish, which he Forbids, discarding 2 Counterspells for the buyback, leaving him one card in his hand. I'm sure it's a counter, but I Force the Forbid anyway. He smiles and reaches for the counter. He then realizes it's only a Mana Leak and he discarded the real counters. I win the tournament.

I'm a lucky shmuck, and proud of it. :D

W

Whimsical

Way too many to count. And that's limiting it to M:TG. ^_^

The dumbest thing I can remember off the top of my head is...

I was playing a Classic Control Freak Miller Blue/White deck vs. a Green Stompy deck ... the guy's deck was down to 14 cards (he had 38 life and I had 3 btw), but I'd already set down a decent lock with Meekstone, a Spirit-Linked Serra, a Blinky in play (and in my hand all too often) and a pair of Millstones.

I began my turn, drew Time Twister ... gave an evil grin at my opponent ... and proceeded to cast it. I spent the rest of the afternoon kicking myself...

Then there was the time I cast Mana Flare with Candelabra in play ... but only three lands available ... and against a Type I Blue/White.

Other booboos include sideboarding in Anarchies in a Red Sligh only to find out my White/Red foe chucked his CoP: Reds and put in Reverse Damages ... but that's a minor thing.

At least I've never ever gone ...

"First turn. Swamp. Dark Rit, Dark Rit, Dark Rit ... burn for one ... I've got a Demonic Hordes in play! You're dead, fool! Oh, waitjustagodforsakenminute..."

S

superguy

..I cant remember them all, but i remember this one. I was playing with my version of trinity against replenish. My opponent had a tonn of enchantments in his graveyard, and about 6 lands. Oh yeah and a seal of cleansing. :( Anyway I have a priest of titania, a blastoderm and a tangle wire with 4 counters, and one in hand, that u could've cast. Afte r I attacked my opponent was at 4 life i think. Anyway, I didnt even erealize he had that seal there, so he sacked it at the end of turn and destroyed my tangle wire.... then cast replenish :(
"And that's the story behind my hatred toward replenish."

E

Elrond

This guy I was playing against had just gotten a plague winds and really wanted to use it, so his first turn goes: swamp, ritual, ritual, ritual, ritual, plague wind. He went first.

T

theorgg

Originally posted by Elrond
This guy I was playing against had just gotten a plague winds and really wanted to use it, so his first turn goes: swamp, ritual, ritual, ritual, ritual, plague wind. He went first.
What a maroon!

A

arhar

This happened just yesterday (thankfully, outside the tournament)

My friend is at 5 and has an Avatar of Woe in play. I have Morphling in play, plenty of mana, and it's my turn.

Me: Attack with the Morphling.

Him: Umm..... BLOCK

Me: DOHHHHH!!! All I needed to do was give the Morphling FLYING!

Arrrrrgh

T

The Kuzya

i have done a lot of dumb things, but i dont remember a lot of them. The dumbest one is something my friend did though. I was at 4 life, he was at like 10. He had about 5 creatures in play while i had 2. Mine were a Python and a Fresh Volunteers. His Included glittering lion and ribbon snake, not to mention blinding angel. I had a rhystic syphon in play but the game was very long and he had like 15 lands out so it would be useless. He could attack and finish me but instead he lets the game drag on. Soon i draw avatar of woe and ko his flyers and then attack for the win.

T

The Magic Jackal

I'm a very careful player, so I don't have that many stupid stories.

I guess my stupidest play happened shortly after 6th editon was released. I was playing a sligh deck against a stompy type deck. My opponent had a river boa and llanowar elf down and was all tapped out. He attacked w/ the boa and I blocked w/ a jackal pup or something. He regenerated the boa w/ the elf and I shocked in response. I thought that i was getting 2 for 1 because I really didn't understand the stack too well. He called over a judge and I lost my pup, and the boa lived :(

L

Lythand

Arhar,
I can remember quite a few times where I didnt give Superman(Morphling) flying before attacking. Whats even worse I can remeber countless times I would tap out and not be able to give it "untargetability"
And of course I didnt know you could tap to make the Morphling a 5/1, put the damage on the stack then tap it to a 1/5 so it can not be killed by a 4/4 creature.

G

Gumby Khan

Playing a casual game with my black beatdown deck against Terry's rebel deck. I get a turn one dread of night (second game) and turn four Engineered plague (rebels). I proceed to drop some creatures and beat for awhile, but his Repelling Scouts and Longbow Archer's are keeping from the kill, not to mention that blasted Kor Haven. Then I draw an Evincar and had to sac a blood pet, but well worth it, I think. Bye bye Archers and now my Evincar will produce some beats! I also have a spawning pool, blood pet and Carrion Beetle that can pound away with Evincar's help. I had dropped him down to 2 and I draw a Thran Lens. He has Two repelling Scouts and Kor Haven to stop my Evincar, pet, and beetle, but I have a spawning pool and enough mana to activate it. After counting, I realize I have two mana left even if I regenerate pool, so I use it to drop my Thran Lens. This way the repelling scouts can't pro:black and they will die! "Mwhaaa, ha, ha!" I say. Terry starts laughing and pointing to at my Lens. "What?" I say looking around the table and trying to see what he is cracking up about. Terry calls over about five of my friends to witness the epitome of stupidity.
Terry-"Chris, your Evincar gives all non-black creatures -1/-1."
Me-"Yeah, and..."
Terry-"Your Dread of Night only affects white creatures."
Me-Looking at my Lens, looking at him, then it hit me. "Oh God, I didn't. Somebody please get me a beer, this is gonna be a bad night for me..." all my 1/1 creatures died, Terry's white creatures are now full strength, and that turned the game around. Of course my black deck doesn't have any artifact removal and Terry wouldn't disenchant the Lens or Dread of Night, he did get rid of the Plague and his rebels just rolled over me. What is worse, is that if I had just attacked first, before dropping the Lens, I would have won! Imagine that. One of many dumb plays by me, but this one kinda stuck out and my buddies still tease me about it. :)

L

Lythand

That was an interesting story. Just reading the story and know what each card does myself I never would of relized it and probably done the same move..ehehhehe