WOTC Announced Price Change

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Here

Shouldn't be a surprise, but I think most packs sell for $3.99 now, so this will probably bump them up .50 or so...

Tag Guard

turgy22

Nothing Special
Price increases are due to inflation. The costs of running the company and producing cards are going to increase over time, so the price of the products needs to increase or else they'd go out of business. It's just like everything else in the world.

This will hardly even effect me. I usually spend about $50 online every time a new set is released. Now, I'll probably spend about $60. Admission to the prereleases will probably rise about $5 per event. And prices for booster boxes will probably go up about $5. So, on average, I'll end up spending about $100 extra a year on Magic cards. That's a much smaller difference than the increases in pay I've gotten over the past 4 years, when the prices last increased.

Tag Guard.

D

dwarven_anarchist

Eh. I usually buy my packs from a store that sells for below MSRP already, so I'm not too worried. I suppose the price increase is relatively minor, it is only $.30 a pack, but I still don't like it.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
turgy22 said:
Price increases are due to inflation. The costs of running the company and producing cards are going to increase over time, so the price of the products needs to increase or else they'd go out of business. It's just like everything else in the world.
Back when I still bought boosters, they were no more than $2.50. I think they were actually cheaper and I cut back when they went up to $2.50, so I'll say they were $2.50 in 1999. And they're $3.99 after more than five years. If I'm not mistaken, they've been in that range for a while too...

If I'd had to guess (before reading the link), I'd actually have thought the price was already above $4 for probably the exact same reasons they're increasing it now.

It's certainly less inflation than another commodity that comes to mind (hint: it's gasoline).

Tag Guard

T

train

global economic pressures...

"Now we can all be full of WOTC's bologna..."

It's already not often I get to play - but still buy plenty...

"Better adjust the budget honey..."

O

orgg

Everything is going up due to the cost of fuel.

Tuna Fish or Salmon in a single-serving pack was about ninty cents a can. Now its a buck fourty.

Magic followed suit. The sad thing is, unlike Tuna, the price won't go down if fuel costs are reduced.

H

HOUTS

turgy22 said:

This will hardly even effect me. I usually spend about $50 online every time a new set is released. Now, I'll probably spend about $60. Admission to the prereleases will probably rise about $5 per event. And prices for booster boxes will probably go up about $5. So, on average, I'll end up spending about $100 extra a year on Magic cards. That's a much smaller difference than the increases in pay I've gotten over the past 4 years, when the prices last increased.

Tag Guard.
Actually price changes ARE NOT due to inflation. Inflation is a slow gradual increase over years. In fact, WOTC has changed their costs twice prior to this, and this outside the norms for any supposed 'inflation' costs. Those remarks are typcially ignorance on part of people. Take ANY major manufacturer or company, and you'll notice their price changes are once every 10 years. And, their hike is VERY casual. This is from 1.79 (1.99) up twice its original costs.
You are wrong, as usual. If you want specific examples, let me know.
The company is charging more because they know the buyer will pay it, and they are making up for their LOSS.
Yes, WOTC is making up for their LOSS.
You can try any logical thought process you want to justify paying x dollars for a pack, but you are completely dumb if you think it doesn't affect the typical high school player (to college) who has X dollars. Please...

Basic math: Buy 2 packs for the price of one: 3.99

Sigh*
Liberal spin. I love it.

HOUTS

O

orgg

Heh. I just realized this'll probably make the local dealer raise his prices for OLDER stuff, but not the newer stuff (so he outsells Wal-Mart). That's kinda entertaining.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
orgg said:
Magic followed suit. The sad thing is, unlike Tuna, the price won't go down if fuel costs are reduced.
When has tuna gone down in price? I haven't noticed it since I've started buying it and making Tuna Helper (which has been for about the past 10-11 years).

Tag Guard

L

Lythand

orgg said:
Everything is going up due to the cost of fuel.

Tuna Fish or Salmon in a single-serving pack was about ninty cents a can. Now its a buck fourty.

Another thing about Magic...unlike tuna..will not stink after it sits around a few days without refrigeration. Just wanted to point that out.

N

Nightstalkers

Lythand said:
Another thing about Magic...unlike tuna..will not stink after it sits around a few days without refrigeration. Just wanted to point that out.
Although, if you leave it in the fridge for a few weeks with an open bottle of rotten milk... they do seem to stink.

L

Lythand

Spiderman said:
But why would you have an open bottle of rotton milk? :eek:

Tag Guard

Aawwww come on...Everyone knows that milk will turn to cottage cheese. Havent you seen that commercial?

N

Nightstalkers

Roomie was doing some sort of experiment with the rotten milk and some sort of disease... Whatever he put into the milk got into everything else in the fridge and that wasn't a great week....