Mixed Up Magic

I

Ishans Shade

Okay, quick poll. If WotC was to make a set out of certain magic cards, kinda like all the editions, only there is one catch(<-?) all of the colors are mixed around. Such as Black now has a version of blue's counterspell, Blue has red's fireball, and so on. My Question to you is this: If WotC made this set, what cards would you have in it and what color would you put them in(It can't be their original color).

T

theorgg

GREEN ANCESTRIAL! whate, already done.

A GREEN BOLT... whate... bee sting...

A GREEN JACKLE PUP! THAT'S IT! 2/1 FOR 1. IN GREEN. THAT WORKS. YAAAAAAy

-theorgg
I'm bigger than I think, I think.

B

Baron Sengir

I wouldn't mind seeing a black disenchant or a white terror. Of course, these kinds of cards would make certain colors reeeeeallly broken

I remain
The Baron
Remember when saying something was broken meant it was bad?

Ferret

Staff member
I'd have to say that this would be a terrible idea. Each colour is supposed to have a weakness. If you give them the abilities of other colours then you might as well forget the idea of multicoloured decks ever being popular - and hand the trophies to anyone that likes to play Blue.

-ferret

"...Blue is supposed to be a slow colour - remember Tolarian Academy?"

D

Dune Echo

Ferret, I think that Ihsan's Shade is just trying to make a joke set. Basically, countermagic would be another color's specialty. The best creatures would go to blue, Armageddon and Wrath of God would be red cards, Disenchant would be black, Terror would be white... Wait white already has Swords to Plowshares. Ihsan's Shade is just trying to make a joke set, that's all. Nothing Inquest hasn't done, Issue 39 I believe. I could be wrong.

------------------
Dune Echo

... and no, the Waylay ruling and Thawing Glaciers ruling don't have a damn thing in common. A lot more people like me whined in favor of Waylay!

K

king of all

i think if you gave white the countermagic, it'd be nigh unstoppable (control, at least).

let's see... counter that, hmm.. disenchant that, stp that...

-koa
"you are /NOT/ a beautiful and unique snowflake!"

Ferret

Staff member
Maybe, but I could see WotC taking the idea seriously...looking back each colour actually has had a counterspell - with limitations or severe drawbacks.

Black had a card that required a payment of two life to counter a summon spell (in Mirage, I believe)

White had a card to couner artifacts or enchangements (in Mirage, also I think)

Red had Red Elemental Blast and it's Icy cousin Pyroblast

and Green had Avoid Fate - made incredibly powerful by VIth Edition rules.

I see nothing wrong w/ theme crossings - as long as there's a big penalty to using them.

Some examples are already in print:

Green has some direct damage, but it's very ineffecient.

Black & Red have some fast critters, but mostly have drawbacks that make them less playable than Green's

Blue has some fat, but have things like Islandhome or the need to feed them land to keep going

White has land and critter removal - but it's all or nothing.

Green has enchantment removal, but again it's all or nothing.

They're all more-or-less balanced. It should stay that way.

-ferret

"...I personaly like Green's Crumblestorm!"

I

Ishans Shade

Dune is right it would kinda be like a second unglued. All I wanted to see what you guys would like to see if such a set was ever made, and I have seen a few issues of InQuest that have had ideas like this in it. Infact where do you think I got the idea.

Ferret-The Black sucky counter is Withering Boon. Your probally right about one thing, some dork in R&D would take this set seriously.

I would Personally like to see blue and white have red's fireball. I would also like to see these two cards called waterball, and snowball. I also think that this set would help improve multi-colored decks, imagine 4 Fireballs, 4 Waterballs, 4 Snowballs, 4 Twigballs, and 4 Deathballs.

Ferret

Staff member
Twigball? That's good.

Actually, many of the colours have X kill spells.

Blue has Stroke of Genius - which seems to be able to kill faster than Fireball

Black Has (Had?) Drain Life

Green has Hurricane

and White has...okay, White doesn't have one - but, Snowball?!?! How about Lightball or Goodball or Angelball? Or maybe not...

-ferret

"...Withering Boon...right. Thanks..."

I

Ishans Shade

Ok, I know that all of the colours have a bit of everything in them, and then there own great majority bit, but I was talking about taking all of the cards that are the best at what they do, and sharing them with the other colours. I know that black has Drain Life, and that green has Hurricane, but there is just something about the Fireball that makes it stick out in the mind as one, if not the X-burn spell there is.

Change of gears, if any of you have any suggestions for hte names of the cards in there new colour, then go ahead, and say them! You might inspire more names, such as Ferret's Angelball, how is this: Divne Projectile.

Could always make some artifacts have colours, but that probally wouldn't work.

And if there are any cards that you would like to see made that just make sense to you go right on and post 'em here. Here's one

Yithmot(Timothy Backwards, and mixed around)
Yithmot, Prodigal Sorcerrer 2UU
You may use Yithmot's ability only once per turn.
(Tap)
eal 1 damage to...Blah blah blah, we know the drill. Here is the kicker
(Untap)
revent 1 damage to target creature or player.

Commentary on the above post is very much welcomed.

B

Baron Sengir

There already are colored artifacts. They're called enchantments ...

I remain
The Baron
Ihsan, check out the Revised Dagobah thing at Decipher. It looks kick-ass!

I

Ishans Shade

I don't know any Ihsan, but I'll check it out source of all my pain.

Your monkey brother
Ishan's Shade

T

theorgg

Oh MY! you have your name misspelt! now THAT's funny.

-theorgg
I'm bigger than I think, I think.

D

Dune Echo

Man, I never even really noticed. LOL Man, we really need spell check on all computer systems. Ihsan's Shade... Can you edit your profile to fix that?

I

Ishans Shade

I have no idea. I hope so, but if it is not posible I could always delete, and reregister. Is it possible Ed?

[Edited by Ishans Shade (12-09-1999 at 10:30 AM).]

I

Ishans Shade

Good, please do get rid of the first "s" mike.

Very gratful, and embaressed
Fishan's Shade

C

Child of Gaea

IHSAN IHSAN IHSAN IHSAN IHSAN IHSAN IHSAN IHSAN There is the correct spelling!!!!

I

Ihsans Shade

Ihsan, right. I think I got it. Seeing how I got the card yesterday.

I'm too sexy for this post

S

Shadowfire

Sounds like a good idea for fun any way. I would have to say Dark ritual to red. Oh baby 3 red mana for one heck yeah.

Ferret the card you thinking of from black is
2b 1 colorless, its called whithering boon, you pay 3 life to counter target summon spell and yes its out of Mirage.

Ihsan could it be that Fireball (with enough mana) can be made to target multi. tagets not just one like drain life, or can target just one unlike hurricane

[Edited by Shadowfire (12-15-1999 at 04:33 PM).]

just my thoughts