Selecting 10th Edition

O

orgg

So you want the cards with a small and difficult to read "10" on 'em? Good luck getting the 75%.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
orgg said:
I hope they don't make two symbols as similar as they did 8th/9th's. I'll take a nice "X," though I'd prefer it in the 7e style, not the 6e style.
Yeah, I think I'd prefer a fancy "X" to a 6th Edition-style block letter "X." But either one would be better than the number "10" inside a hand of tiny cards...

Tag Guard

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
How do you know it will be small and difficult to read? :)

But I don't want to have to think whether one expansion uses Roman numerals and another doesn't. Just make them all consistent one way or the other.

Tag Guard

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
But I don't want to have to think whether one expansion uses Roman numerals and another doesn't. Just make them all consistent one way or the other.
Spidey, thinking is good for you.

Also, it seems pretty easy so far. I can recall, without even thinking, the expansion symbol for any core set (or other characteristics, if there was no expansion symbol). And I've hardly even touched 7th/8th Edition cards (and never touched a 9th Edition card).

Anyway, I think sticking to one format would be boring. I want my symbols to be all fancy and creative. If they aren't, they might as well just be plain, sans serif numbers for the core sets and words for the expansion sets.

Then no one would have to go to the trouble of remembering that a cloud is Tempest. They could just read the word printed where an expansion symbol used to be...

Tag Guard

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm too old to think :)

I agree it's still easy, I'm just looking for consistency. That's not a lot to ask, right? ;)

Tag Guard

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
No, it really seems like a reasonable idea. But it's a little late to make them consistent now, don't you think?

They could be consistent from now on, I suppose, but being that I dislike the style used for 8th/9th Edition, I wouldn't want it to continue being consistent from there...

Tag Guard

turgy22

Nothing Special
Oversoul said:
No, it really seems like a reasonable idea. But it's a little late to make them consistent now, don't you think?
I disagree. I voted for 10 over X, specifically because I'd like to see a consistency established as early as possible in as many areas as possible for Magic. Similar to the consolidation of creature types, the addition of humans, the removal of interrupts and everything else that will ultimately bog the game down in the long run.

The core sets are supposed to be simple and easy for beginners to jump into. There's no reason for flashy expansion symbols. I was encouraged by 9th edition that the core set symbol would end up staying the same throughout the remaining print runs. I don't really like it or dislike it. But I like consistency and simplicity.

Tag Guard

D

dwarven_anarchist

I just wish we could see the symbols before voting. They both could look good, but I wish I knew what I was voting for.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
turgy22 said:
But I like consistency and simplicity.
Inconsistent > ugly. :p

I'm not sure how it bogs things down, though. I can totally understand wanting it to be consistent, but it doesn't actually make the game harder for beginners or anyone else. Beginners are going to have questions about what set a card is from no matter what, but that's usually going to be the expansion sets. They'll learn quickly enough that core sets since 6th Edition have had numbers for their symbols (and no expansion sets have numbers for symbols). The number being inside a hand of cards or not isn't going to change anything.

And if they're too stupid to understand Roman numerals, just kill them or something. I know that's what I do...

Tag Guard

N

Nightstalkers

So long as they ditch the Vizzerdrix (who in their right mind wants frankenbunny anywho?) and make it so that you don't have to memorize copyright years to distinguish between sets... I'm happy.

N

Nightstalkers

Umm... >.>

The orgg seems cute... but... it needs trample.

O

orgg

He'll only be in the starter deck, just like Vizzy.

Why is blue the color of big, dumb creatures? I've adjusted to the boarders; why not bring back another Orgg?

N

Nightstalkers

Well that's the thing... Black should have big, hard to keep out creatures; Green should have big, overcosting creatures; White should have big, self preserving creatures; Red should have big dumb creatures; and Blue should have big convoluted creatures.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul said:

They could be consistent from now on, I suppose, but being that I dislike the style used for 8th/9th Edition, I wouldn't want it to continue being consistent from there...
Like turgy22 said, it's never too late. I'm not really against the X, but just I'd like from this time forward to remain consistent, either stay with the Roman numerals (if X is chosen) or the 10. I don't want to see the same vote when 11th ed. comes out, for example.

Tag Guard

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
And last but not least, the last week of Selecting 10th

Platinum Angel in, "X" Symbol in, and Incinerate Sketch A in.

I want more..... and cooler cards.... dammit.

Ransac, cpa trash man