Poisonbelly Ogre deck

H

hrothmar

I am a big fan of poison. Some of you may allready know that*, others will now.

So when guildpact was released my eye pretty quickly fell on a card named Poisonbelly Ogre. After the initial shock of recognizing a 3/3 creature for 5 mana with a mediocre ability, my mind began to asses the potential of slow grueling death this guy could deal. I was not alone in my conviction. A deck had to be made fast. And it was. It was pretty slow. Allow me elucidate: I needed a set up of auriok salvagers, the ogre and hunted phantasm. Luckily then came dissension and with the rakdos cult, allowing me to rebuild the deck to its current form, which I wish to share with you. Without much further ado...

4 poisonbelly ogre
4 crypt champion
4 drift of phantasms
4 hunted phantasm
2 wizard mentor
2 gravedigger

4 thunderstaff
4 wail of the nim
4 brainspoil
4 mogg infestation

all that....plus a dimir/rakdos manabase.

The kill: poisonbelly ogre & hunted phantasm/mogg infestation.
Alternate: unblockability!
What about the goblins?: wail of the nim/thunderstaff.

So what is your opinion?

*Based on the obscure combo deck piece I submitted to turgy22.

J

jorael

Very nice idea. There is the chance that your plan backfires, but that probably makes your wins more enjoyable (and humiliating?)

H

hrothmar

Indeed..If it would work every time the deck would be less fun. Also, my opponent(s) now cannot put the blame on the deck saying that its too good, or that it contains too many bomb cards or whatever. I would for all my decks to contain this element, which is captured nicely in agent smith's words: do you hear that.... mr andersson?...... that is the sound of.....inevitability....

L

Limited

Style points for Wizard Mentor! That is such a cool card..

And Mogg Infestation.. very cool.

Do you even need the Thunderstaffs? Wouldn't Tibor & Lumia be a good idea?

H

hrothmar

too much black spells for that I think. However, both Thunderstaff and wail of the nim are transmutable by drift of phantasms. Thats a lot of anti 1/1 goblin measurements. So thunderstaff's slot is open for....what exactly?

Compulsive research?
turn 3 compulsive research, then discard critters, followed by crypt chamion. Sounds neat.

Any suggestions?

L

Limited

Why do even ask us for help? Are you toying with us? :mad:

Anyway, I concur wholeheartedly. Compulsive Research lets you get rid of acces land or fixes your mana and might set up nicely for the Crypt Champion/Gravedigger.

Speaking of transmute: if you add Brainspoil, you'll be able to search for the Poisonbelly Ogre and the Mogg Infestation.. seems like a good thing, right?

H

hrothmar

Limited said:
Why do even ask us for help? Are you toying with us? :mad:
Actually, I wasnt too sure about the wizard mentors and the gravediggers ( I mean they are good cards...but I use them so often) and I wondered if someone had better alternatives for the cards I put in that would fit better with the rest of the deck.

Limited said:
Speaking of transmute: if you add Brainspoil, you'll be able to search for the Poisonbelly Ogre and the Mogg Infestation.. seems like a good thing, right?
right, thats why I put them in the original build (scroll up) ;)

L

Limited

*sigh*

Okay, pay three to transmute my brain and search for an empty can.

Play can.

T

Trick Radio

I too created a poisonbelly deck.

I use hunted phantasm and hissing miasma to keep my oponent at bay with attacks ( go ahead, attack me with those 5 tokens i just gave you ). Peel from reality and boomerang work nicely when i want to put the phantasm back out quickly as well as keep the opponent from doing any real damage.

So, counters, miasma, poisonbelly and the phantasm. A few zombifies and brainspoils mixed in. An occaisional Mourning thrull to take the edge off.

Rock and Roll !

J

jorael

That sounds like a another interesting approach. Could you post your decklist?

And welcome on the boards by the way!

T

Trick Radio

Thanks for the welcome! Please keep in mind I'm somewhat of a newb ( only been playing 3 months) So I dont have all the fancy lands and stuff yet.
Love the game though. Stumbled on this board today while looking to see if anyone else had created a Poisonbelly. Sounds like some nice people here. Anyway, here's my deck, go easy :)

Cheers !

4 Poisonbelly ogre
4 Hunted Phantasm
4 Thoughtpicker Witch ( sack Phantasm and zombify if bommerang or Peel aren't available )
3 Mourning Thrull

4 Boomerang
3 Mana Leak
3 Remand
3 Peel from Reality
3 Zombify
4 Hissing Miasma
2 BrainSpoil

13 Swamp
10 Island

J

jorael

You don't need fancy lands and stuff to make an enjoyable deck. And as long as you aren't playing against tournament killer decks your deck looks like it could win some games.

I usually try to play at least 20 creatures (unless the deck isn't build around creatures). Even with the Poisonbelly Ogres I'd add some creatures: for defense and offense. Drift of Phantasm is a good defender that can transmute for Hunted Phantasm and Hissing Miasma :D. Netherborn Phalanx is a killer with all that token sharing. It can also transmute for any 'random' 6 mana card you add (Hex, for example, can be a life saver). I don't know if you have the U/B common guildland: Dimir Aqueduct. The Karoo's (the nicknames of these common guildlands) are good lands to boost you mana base without adding more lands. In my experience you can easily play 4 of them in a deck (and sometimes even more).

A non-Ravnica block card worth adding is Genesis Chamber. This artifact will give everyone more tokens. You'd lose some life also, then again your deck will punish the opponent even more. For additional lifegain you could add Ribbons of Night.

I think I have mentioned enough card to make this a 100 card deck and that isn't recommended. So I'll stop now. ;)
Good luck with hunting your opponents!

T

Trick Radio

Thanks for the tips ! Netherborn Phalanx could be the kicker for this deck if it weren't so expensive. I try to keep my decks at 5 or less CC. Still, i may throw a couple in. If you hadn't noticed i'm trying to stay type 2 while at the same time Post Kamigawa ( someone told me about forbidden orchard which would have been great for this deck but it's a Kami ). Anyway, the aqueducts are a must so i'll grab those at first chance. thanks for the advice !

Take care.