Voted Most Unlikely To Play Magic:

A

arhar

I'm really sorry if this comes as a surprise for all disgruntled rebellious teenagers here, but Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Backstreet Boys, 'N-Sync, Britney Spears are THE SAME THING. Their music is all about money. They sell millions of records, and all of their albums were commercial (almost all). Ok, maybe that's exaggerating a LITTLE BIT (Korn's first album was ok), but the fact of the matter is, once a band has some success, they immediately sell out and start to write commercial music. That's why rock-rap sickens me to the same degree as Backstreet Boys.

"Now Amorphis and Rhapsody are totally different deal!"

F

FoundationOfRancor

I agree with you on that on ahar, But i enjoy limp bizkit and them selling out. I dont enjoy Backstreet boys and stuff. That simple.

N

nodnarb24

Tag Guard

I know that most muscians play for the money. But there nothing wrong with that because everyone trys to make money. I don't have a probably with they way they make money because they bring entertainment to millions of people around the world and they deserve a for of compensation.

A

Almindhra

Yes, I do judge people by what they listen to...Are you going to tell me that that isn't a reflection of the person themself?...I'm sorry, I don't like people with no talent to be in the spotlight...And people praise them!...Spears mostly doesn't even sing at her own concerts...Live concert people!...And she doesn't sing...Don't blame it all on the dancing, they could tone it down if she wanted to sing...But she doesn't have a voice...Thats so sad!!...Argh!!!...

D

Duel

Finally! Someone with honesty here! Almindhra, I congradulate you. EVERYONE JUDGES EVERYONE ELSE BY WHAT THEY DO, SAY, AND LOOK LIKE. It's a human thing....

So, yes, I do judge people by what they listen to. I just don't let it overrule the possibility of them still being good people, see?

L

Lythand

Of course we judge people by what they do. What they listen too. What they say. But as Duel stated, it doesnt mean they are bad people themselves. I know of a woman in her early 20's. She listens to Gothic rock (Marylin Manson, Type O Negative) But she is a sweetheart and wouldnt hurt anyone. We Judge people and make descisions on a broad assumption af everything they do, say, act, etc..etc..etc..Its A big whole we have to judge people buy. Knda comes down to why we have problems with Rascism still..People judging people buy thier color..race..creed..sexual orientation. I can PROUDLY say I have had quite an onterage of friends from all walks of life. They where all good people. Mabey a little strange..but good people. And too each one, they were my friends. I dont think not one of us that post on this board would like it if we where just judged for playing magic. And if you listen out there..we are at times. We are considered sinners for playing magic. And By reading some of the music list of some of the others..They would also be considered sinners for thier music preferences. But who cares as long as we are all happy people...

Shiney Happy People..

T

TheGuyFromTheOtherPost

good counter point Lythand.

Isn't it wrong to say someone is 'gay' by what the listen to though? Isn't it wrong so say somone is 'something' because they are 'something else'?
It is, and wheather you admit it, or not, I will forever be the Guy from the other post.

T

The Kuzya

On a side note, noone has said that they listen to eminem or red hot chili peppers. I would expect some more people to mention them. Those are my two faves. And its human nature to judge so u cant do anything about it. Just like its human nature to want something that someone else has all the time.

Killer Joe

"Will you kids turn down that crazy music!"
j/k I'm supposed to say that accoriding to my "Guide to being an old fart" manual. You automatically recieve one from the (S)ecret (A)dult (A)gency when you either have a child or turn 34. Failure to comply gets you labeled as an imature grown up who probably will play magic or something out of the NORM!
What was this post about again? (losing memeory; also automatically transmitted to your body from the S.A.A.)

D

Duel

Well, I like pathetic soft rock, mostly. So "Under the Bridge" is my favorite Red Hot Chili Peppers song. But I listen to them.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm... actually, I was thinking about what Almindhra said and I'll have to disagree about judging people by what they listen to, because really, how often is that going to be the first thing you learn about someone? In real life, it's more likely some activity/class you're doing together, and on the internet it's the posts where the "attitude" comes through.

In other words, I'll probably form my opinion based on the posts or how/what they talk than their music likes/dislikes.

D

DÛke

...what I have been saying. Good point Spidy. Music is just another activity, lik Magic, eating, video gaming, and the rest. Would you judge people by what the look like, Almindhra? Would you not play Magic with me if you see me because I'm Mexican-looking (again, I'm not Mexican, but I'm overly tanned)? Why should you judge me by what I listen to? Does music make the person or does the person make the music? I think, when I listen to something, I listen to it because of my mood, and sometimes, because of the way I am. Music doesn't reflect anyone's personality, and it will never will.

If you'd like to judge people by the music they listen to than you are wrong, because evey person that listens to punk bands would be a punk and an a$$hole. Every person that listens to pop would be gay or lesbian. Ever person that liesten to R&B and/or Trance would be gothic, and so on...

Do you think 'everyone' that listens to punk bands is a punk; and a$$hole that is mad? No. People listen to stuff because they like what they 'hear' not because 'that's the way they are.

[Edited by TomB on August 19th, 2000 at 06:22 AM]

D

Duel

It's still something you use to judge them. Now honestly, people, if you walked up to a guy and heard "Hit me baby" coming out of his headphones, would you be more or less likely to talk to him than if he had a GOOD song?

E

Elrond

I just want to add that people make far too many snap judgements based on superficial characteristics, like music, and label people too quickly.

Now that I've said that...I listen to a wide variety of music centered around Metallica. Here's just a few of the CDs I own: Limp Bizkit, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Korn, Rammstein, Eminem, Godsmack, Rage Against the Machine, Days of the New, Phantom of the Opera, Pure Moods, Adiemus(pretty cool, but hard to find), The soundtrack to the Holy Grail by Monty Python, and the Lion King soundtrack.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Enigma.

[Edited by Elrond on August 19th, 2000 at 11:14 AM]

D

DÛke

...Elrond is right. Yes, he is.

Duel, if I walk up to someone with headphones, and hear them listening to "Hit Me Baby One More Time..." why should that stop me from talking to them? Why? Because of the song? So you are saying that you wouldn't talk to someone because they 'listen' to a song? How lame.

If I walk up to someone listening to a song, I wouldn't even bother "listening" to what they are listening, I would just go ahead and continue what I was about to do: talk to them or whatever, I wouldn't "rething" my talking to them because "they mmight be different" or whatever you want to call them.

How would you like me to judge you by your looks? Would that be fair? Or never mind, how about by the way you dress? Or the way you eat? Or by the way you judge people? Would you like me to judge you as a "bad" person right now because you judge people too quickly? Ofcourse you don't.

What is judgement? Define judgement? If it's the thing you go around and call people "gay" or "stupid" or "untalented", than judgement is just simpley a misunderstanding between to opposite groups, that's it.

If you wouldn't talk to me because of what I listen to, than you are not a person worth talking to in the first place.

D

Duel

Not "gay" or "stupid" isty. But if they like that type of song, I find that they tend to have less in common with me than people who listen to music I like. It wouldn't stop me from talking to them if I wanted to. Niether would the right music make me. But it is a factor. Not a insult, just a factor. You have the right to like different music than me.

D

DÛke

...that was well said Duel.

That's my whole point. Music is just a factor nothing more and nothing less. You see a person listening to something you don't like; that should just tell you that they are different than you, and that's it. It shouldn't tell you anything else.

I listen to everything out there, except country, that doesn't mean I'm not going to like people who do listen to country.

First impression judgements are wrong, anyway. If someone was bad, mean, or just a fool in the past, that doesn't mean they haven't or doens't have the ability to change. It just means that they like the way they are. That's it.

The truth is, there is no 'good' or 'gay' or 'bad' or 'stupid' or 'untalented' music. Everyone thinks different. If you think someone is stupid, that doesn't mean 'they' are stupid, it just means that 'you' think they are stupid. What's good for you, might be bad for me. What's good for me, might be good for you. That's just the way it is. It's just a matter of different opinions.

If you like what you listen to, than good.
But you can't say what you listen to is the best, because that's only what 'you' think.

Everyone hates something, and everyone likes something. It's not a judgement, it's a factor.

D

Duel

"irst impression judgements are wrong" Goes right besides "All general statements are false" but otherwise I agree.