Nominations for The Dark Casual Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have a card list so...

Post your nominations and reasons here! Nominations will close Monday 5/8 by 7:00 AM EST.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I nominate Fellwar Stone. In a set with some of the worst cards ever printed, Fellwar Stone rises above mediocrity without being a total tournament bomb or filling only a niche role. It's no Sol Ring and no Birds of Paradise, but Fellwar Stone does its job well. It's fast artifact mana without being banned or restricted anywhere and without having some sort of ridiculous drawback.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I do believe this is the complete list, but feel free to edit my mistakes

White
Angry Mob
Blood of the Martyr
Brainwash
Cleansing
Dust to Dust
Exorcist
Fasting
Festival
Fire and Brimstone
Holy Light
Knights of Thorn
Martyr's Cry
Miracle Worker
Morale
Pikemen
Preacher
Squire
Tivadar's Crusade
Witch Hunter

Blue
Amnesia
Apprentice Wizard
Dance of Many
Deep Water
Drowned
Electric Eel
Erosion
Flood
Ghost Ship
Giant Shark
Leviathan
Mana Vortex
Merfolk Assassin
Mind Bomb
Psychic Allergy
Riptide
Sunken City
Tangle Kelp
Water Wurm

Black
Ashes to Ashes
Banshee
Bog Imp
Bog Rats
Curse Artifact
Eater of the Dead
Frankenstein's Monster
Grave Robbers
Inquisition
Marsh Gas
Murk Dwellers
Nameless Race
Rag Man
Season of the Witch
The Fallen
Uncle Istvan
Word of Binding
Worms of the Earth

Red
Ball Lightning
Blood Moon
Brothers of Fire
Cave People
Eternal Flame
Fire Drake
Fissure
Goblin Caves
Goblin Digging Team
Goblin Hero
Goblin Rock Sled
Goblin Shrine
Goblin Wizard
Goblins of the Flarg
Inferno
Mana Clash
Orc General
Sisters of the Flame

Green
Carnivorous Plant
Elves of Deep Shadow
Gaea's Touch
Hidden Path
Land Leeches
Lurker
Marsh Viper
Niall Silvain
People of the Woods
Savaen Elves
Scarwood Bandits
Scarwood Hag
Scavenger Folk
Spitting Slug
Tracker
Venom
Whippoorwill
Wormwood Treefolk

Artifacts
Barl's Cage
Bone Flute
Book of Rass
Coal Golem
Dark Sphere
Diabolic Machine
Fellwar Stone
Fountain of Youth
Living Armor
Necropolis
Reflecting Mirror
Runesword
Scarecrow
Skull of Orm
Standing Stones
Stone Calendar
Tormod's Crypt
Tower of Coireall
Wand of Ith
War Barge

Land
City of Shadows
Maze of Ith
Safe Haven
Sorrow's Path

Gold
Dark Heart of the Wood
Marsh Goblins
Scarwood Goblins

G

Gizmo

I think it's got to be either Skull Of Orm or Witch Hunter.

L

Limited

I agree that the Witch Hunter is a great and versatile card, but I feel that it is actually a blue card. Though there is nothing wrong with being an ill-colored card, I don't want it representing the set.

(btw, why can it target all creatures an opponent controls? Shouldn't it be limited to targetting witches?)

I lingered on Wormwood Treefolk, because of the kick-ass art and amusing abilities..

But I had to go for Preacher. A quirky effect that gives people a lot of opportunities for politics..

(PS Savaen Elves is savage anti-Genju tech!)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Gizmo, if you had to choose between your two, which would it be?

So you decided to come back, Isty?

There's a lot of quirky cards, but I'll nominate Festival. A "one-shot" (if you only have one) attempt to stop your opponent from attacking you, at the time, it also combo'd well with Siren's Call to act as a creature-sweeper. And the card name just invokes "fun times" :)

G

Gizmo

Preacher was my third choice... (although how Witch Hunter's bounce can be discarded for being 'out of colour' but Preacher's Control Magic effect is fine I kinda don't understand). The trouble with putting my vote on Skull Of Orm is that at the time it was the only card that could do what it does - now there's a few competitors that can recur enchantments and that devalues it (Dowsing Shaman, for one).

I'm going to lump for Witch Hunter - the bounce is targetable and therefore more useful than the Preacher's "gain control of target Saproling Token" ability. But if Preacher winds up representing The Dark I wouldn't complain - it's a worthy spell.

L

Limited

Gizmo said:
(although how Witch Hunter's bounce can be discarded for being 'out of colour' but Preacher's Control Magic effect is fine I kinda don't understand)
Ah. Allow me to elaborate.
Witch Hunter has two abilities, both of which are almost exclusively blue. Preacher's ability is also kinda blue (stealing creatures is either blue or red) but has a very important distinction: Opponents choice.
Usually, this means getting a Saproling token, but in Multiplayer this might not always be the case. You could imagine using the Preacher when you are attacked and someone giving you a creature that can actually kill one of the attackers, just because they want to get rid of that attacker. Now you have a choice in actually using it to block, or keep it for yourself..
Option to cooperate and backstab a plenty! Hippolictics!

D

DarthFerret

My Vote: Ball Lightning.

Reasons:

Well, this card is one of the most sought after cards out of this set. It has spawned a wholed different subset of cards (Blistering Firecat, the Viashinos Skizzik, etc...) in which a creature hits an opponent one time hard and fast, and then is no more... The perfect creature for a red deck. Once again I call on everyone to think of the amount of Groans that Ball Lightning gets when it hits the board (although it is gone before the groans are over...)

B

BigBlue

C'mon.... The Eater of the Dead.... sung to "Leader of the Pack"....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nominations so far:

Oversoul: Fellwar Stone
Limited: Preacher
Istanbul: Psychic Allergy
Spiderman: Festival
Gizmo: Witch Hunter
Killer Joe: Uncle Istvan
DarthFerret: Ball Lightning
BigBlue: Eater of the Dead
TomB: Mana Clash

A

Apollo

Tivadar's Crusade is one of my all-time favorite cards, because I once had a friend that played this all-Goblin (no burn except Goblin Grenade) deck for fun. It was the deck that we would run our silly decks against, so it generally did pretty well. So one time I fished a bunch of Tivadar's Crusades out of a common bin at my local shop, then built an (intentionally) terrible white deck. We played multiplayer, and I pretty much got ignored because I was playing Tundra Wolves and the like. Finally it was just the two of us, I dropped a Tivadar's Crusade (he had never heard of it), and I swarmed over with a bunch of Pikemen and Ication Infantry for the ridiculous win.

That said, I doubt it's the defining card for the set. Any of the current options sound good, though Ball Lightning isn't very casual, and Festival is a slightly different Fog.

...Of course, you haven't lived till you've built an Erosion deck...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Nominating is closed. The nominees are

Oversoul: Fellwar Stone
Limited: Preacher
Istanbul: Psychic Allergy
Spiderman: Festival
Gizmo: Witch Hunter
Killer Joe: Uncle Istvan
DarthFerret: Ball Lightning
BigBlue: Eater of the Dead
TomB: Mana Clash
Apollo: Tivadar's Crusade

Orgg, Mooseman, and I shall deliberate. Would someone close this thread?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Status
Not open for further replies.