Forum Leaders

J

jorael

You don't need 300+ active posters to have a messageboard that is fun to visit.

Of course more active members would be welcome and an improvement, but seems to me that the current posters enjoy themselves very much.

I

Istanbul

I became displeased with a series of moderator decisions and left.

MTG Salvation has been a great boon to me; I mostly hang out in the card creation and casual sections, with occasional forays into the trading post. And yes, a lot of the other stuff is gibberish...but if you look closely, you can find some real gems in there. I <3 you guys, but once you've spent years and years around the same people, you can pretty much predict what they're going to say before they say it. MTG Salvation is constantly full of new ideas, new people, and new opinions.

Yes, I'm pimping that site. No, I'm not sorry. I mean every word.

E

EricBess

Personally, I find that if a message board gets too many people on it, it becomes cumbersome and nearly imposible to follow interesting threads.

Yeah, we could certainly stand to get more people here than we currently have, but as soon as it gets to the point where everytime I log in there are 1000 new posts I need to go through, I'll probably move on ;)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I agree, EricBess. I'm not much of a Magic player any more. However, I enjoy chatting with the people on this site. I can discuss the few bits that interest me, but mainly I can just not be serious and mess around a bit.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nightstalkers said:
Quite frankly, the CPA is a messageboard that nobody comes to anymore. The life of a messageboard is usually less than a year if it's not successful within the first quarter.

The real question is why do you guys come back?
Overall, I agree. As a Magic website, the CPA is barely holding on. I would say thanks to the "influx" of Limited and jorael in the past year or so, the Magic deck talk and stuff have been kept alive.

Yeah, we post about the new releases and stuff but it's really just reactions to what's been shown. Once the set has been released, hardly anyone talks about what new decks are out there or how they've changed old decks and whatnot.

The main reason for that is by and large, most people here don't play Magic that regularly anymore (except the aforementioned members). The only time I play is on the message boards. I gather it's like that for a lot of people here. So yeah, as a messageboard dedicated to Magic, it's barely pulsing.

But back in the day, this place WAS hoppin' the first year or so, thus assuring its survival. And thanks to the skillz of Ed, it's largely self-sustainable.

I still come because of the comraderie. And like EricBess, I wish this place had more members and talk about Magic, but "serious" talk. I'm at the point in my life where I don't need to see crap either :) I guess because my work schedule allows me to be on a good portion of the day, I wouldn't mind seeing 1000 new posts as long as they were cool, but I could see when you just log in a couple of times a day it can be overwhelming :)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
If I knew of any Magic players around my area, I would send them to this site. However, I have only met 1 player in my time in Tennessee. There really isn't a big scene around here.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Killer Joe

I put my "Nana, nana," headphones on for him aka Ignore List :)

I brought Mooseman recently so I'm good.....

okay, okay, he brought himself waaaay back like four years ago but he started posting regulaly just recently ;)

psst,....any cellos around?

bummmmmm, bum

bummmmmm, bum

bum,bum,bum,bum,bum,bum,......just when you thought it was okay to go back in the sea of the CPA!!!!!

H

HOUTS

Originally Posted by Killer Joe
Too bad Isty couldn't explain more of what he meant by Moderator descisions.

It was what to do about HOUTS a couple months ago.

You mean-with you-as you were a complete idiot.

HOUTS

turgy22

Nothing Special
Spiderman said:
It was what to do about HOUTS a couple months ago.
If you don't mind me asking, what were the choices and what was the decision? I seem to have missed this debate.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It wasn't a public debate.

It was whether to ban him based on his posting. Some of us felt yes and some felt no. As he's still here, you can see the results of the decision.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Don't ban him..... he reminds me of that evil, twisted house elf of the Blacks in the Harry Potter books......

He could be our House Troll....... hahahahahahahahaha

turgy22

Nothing Special
Spiderman said:
It wasn't a public debate.

It was whether to ban him based on his posting. Some of us felt yes and some felt no. As he's still here, you can see the results of the decision.
Wow. That's really weird. In any other message board on the internet, I think the decision would have gone the other way. In fact, I don't think there would have been a discussion at all. Message boards are usually in place to invite open discussion and intelligent debate. When the majority of a particular member's posts only serve to incite other members or turn threads into petty arguments over "he said/she said", moderators should not hesitate to ban or at least suspend that particular member. It's the only way to maintain a level of civility in the forum. There is no doubt in my mind that when a member makes personal attacks in almost every post and says some extremely distasteful things in threads opened for the mourning of lost friends and family members, that that user should be banned instantly.

I guess I just never really noticed that this forum doesn't have any established rules or code of conduct. Perhaps it's time to draft some so at least people know what the boundaries are.

Killer Joe

SEE!?! That's the problem with Democrats (I'm one btw), we allow everyone to have a say whereas the other guys just shoot down opposing opinions and discredit the disenting opinion and quash and/or ban them. THAT's how to do it, if you ask me for my opinion... :p

turgy22

Nothing Special
Killer Joe said:
SEE!?! That's the problem with Democrats (I'm one btw), we allow everyone to have a say whereas the other guys just shoot down opposing opinions and discredit the disenting opinion and quash and/or ban them. THAT's how to do it, if you ask me for my opinion... :p
There's a difference between allowing a person to express a dissenting opinion and allowing a person to throw **** at other people. Clashing opinions aren't the problem, it's the disrespectful manner in which those opinions are presented.

I love dogs, but if someone brings their dog into my house and it craps on my carpet, chews up my furniture and starts humping my leg, it's going outside.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
turgy22 said:
There's a difference between allowing a person to express a dissenting opinion and allowing a person to throw **** at other people. Clashing opinions aren't the problem, it's the disrespectful manner in which those opinions are presented.

I love dogs, but if someone brings their dog into my house and it craps on my carpet, chews up my furniture and starts humping my leg, it's going outside.
LOL ....... You'd wait that long??????
After crapping, that pet would know what a football feels like going through the uprights on a fieldgoal attempt.......

If everyone would put the house troll on their ignore list and just ridicule him for posting at all, he would not get to upset anyone and would post less and less.
Since the whole ignore/ban debate, the HT has posted very little, it's only when others read his posts and comment on the content that he continues to post.

I for one never read anything he writes and I doubt many do, anywhere.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does anyone care if it made a sound?