Did or do you people play.........

S

smurfturd

You guys & gals ever play any other CCG than magic?
When my friends and I got burned out on magic we tried other games, such as wyvern "yuck", and Rage.
When Rage came out we all bought a ton of cards, tried to play, but where were never sure if we were playing it right,
no one else around here played it, so we didnt have any one to ask if we were playing it correct, so we just packed them all up. I do have to say that they were the best looking CCG cards ive seen yet, to bad no one plays it.
I have orderd some Dragonball z starters to see if its any good, i do love anime.
Any way just wanted to know if youve ever played anything besides magic.

N

nodnarb24

Tag Guard

The only ccg game that i play is Magic because that is the only one in this area that is available and played besides pokemon, which i will never play.

G

Gumby Khan

The only other CCG I have tried and luckily I enjoy, is Pokemon. You can stop booing now. I can't help it, it is really well rounded and simple, which gives me a break from the intensity of Magic. Plus, my oldest likes to play and we can have a good time of it. I tried to teach him Magic, but it's way too complicated for him. He still tries to play enchant creatures when there are no creatures in play. ;) For all you die-hard Pokemon haters, just one question. Have you tried to enjoy the game? Most of my non-Magic friends think Magic is a wussy-geek game and swear they'll never try it, because they can't see themselves enjoying it. Couple of them have and actually enjoyed it. Imagine that. Open your mind and you may find another reason to smile. Just my 2 cents, if you want to send hate mail, please send it here;

http://www.imaclosedmindnitwit.com

S

smurfturd

I have played pokmemon, Ive allways said it was a fun game , good all around, just to kiddie. Tkae off the kiddie pics and put on dragon pics and such, it would rule.

S

smurfturd

Hey Duke is it any good? Im thinking about picking up a box.

D

DÛke

It depends on who you are.
The game is kind of random since it uses a dies to play, but it's hell of fun. There are three different type of skills(like colors in Magic), there's Energy, Fighting, and X-Factor.

Fighting is like RED in Magic, it focuses on damage and attacking, it also has the ability to draw a lot of cards.

X-Factor is a mix of BLUE and WHITE in Magic, it focuses on preventing damage and trickery, it also has the ability to reroll the dies.

Energy can't be compared to anything in Magic. It focuses on getting exactly the die roll you need to win.

The game is really easy to learn and really FUN to play, but there's still the 'double random' factor of playing, the dies, and the cards you draw.

If you like X-Men you'll love the game. If you love startegy, this game doesn't have much YET.

I have been playing it now for a while, and the boosters are coming out of this month, so I can really experience the game.

THE BEST part about the game is the collecting.
THE WHOLE game is not that great, but if you're tired of Magic, which I AM(YES believe it) then X-MEN is for you. It's more like a fun game.

I think in the future, when new sets are released this game would seriously be great. But now, with about 140 cards, it's not that deep.

I think you should buy it, and try it. They give you 2 decks made of 30 cards that you can play right away. They also give you a comic book, a foil X-Men card called Reality Shift, a rule book, and a playmat. Try it, you might like it...It's fun :)

A

Almindhra

I play Pokemon and Wheel of Time...To anyone out there, if you can, learn Wheel of Time...

Its rising up in the top 10 of CCGs purchased...And I'll tell you a little bit about it...Its based on the WoT book series by Robert Jordan, fantasy based...You either play a light or dark deck...For your starting hand you can choose what cards you want...Four cards: One is your starting character, the other can be anything as long as they're not the same type...And after the turns (both players kind of play at the same time) you draw 2 cards for the next turn...

Anyways...So you rotate (tap) your character to generate a resource pool (like a mana pool)...There are 4 ability types, politics, intrigue, the One Power, and combat...On the left side they have how many dice they can roll (yes, its a game of chance, but that makes it fun, and more lifelike as you can't always count on things happening)...Then you play troops and characters and what not...

Everyone starts with 3 pattern tokens I think...And you can win by either killing a taver'en (light side, the starting character Rand, or his other two friends, Mat and Perrin), or the starting forsaken character...And at the end of every turn you battle for a pattern token with your troops and characters...

When there are 20 pattern tokens (either owned by you, opponent, or are neutral tokens) the last battle begins...Everyone fights then and you try to beat your opponent in several different ways...

There are different types of cards other than troops and characters...Events (instants), limited events (sorcerys), advantages (enchanments), and challenges...Which you battle for also when you innitiate a challenge...

Its a really different game than Magic...And the cards are really nice too...So anyone looking into finding a new ccg, heres the one to play...

Go visit here: http://www.dragonmount.com/ccg

C

Chaos Turtle

Currently, I play...

Magic: the Gathering.

In the past, I've played...

[*]Star Trek CCG (aka double-solitaire)
[*]Star Wars CCG (intricate, too many "magic bullets")
[*]X-Files CCG (aka Clue)
[*]Overpower (but never found other people to play it with)
[*]Pokémon ( big fun, try it before you jump on the hate bandwagon)
[*]Young Jedi (makes Pokémon look like chess)

I own cards from, but have never played...

Legend of the Five Rings, Legend of the Burning Sands, Mythos, SimCity, Jyhad (became Vampire: TES), Spellfire, Rage, Blood Wars, and a couple of others I can't think of.

M

mogg bomber

I have played the x-files CCG and the Star Wars CCG in the past. I still have all my x-files cards and some of my star wars cards(I traded most of the better cards off for magic cards). I really liked the x-files CCG, but since the game was discontinued it's impossible to find anyone to play against. It should be really easy and cheap to get now, so if you haven't played this game and are looking for something new it's worth a try. The real problem of buying new games though is finding someone to play against.

K

krichaiushii

I used to play Battletech (actually fun, but missiles win the day), and have tried Mutant Chronicles (noone else wanted to play). I have lots of Call of Chthulu cards (forget the exact game name) and the few times I've played it, it was a blast.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Battletech was terrific until Arsenal came out :(. I haven't bought a pack since...

:DSHADOWFIST IS COMING BACK!!!:D

Shadowfist is excellent. Great for duels - excellent for multi-player - and you can do both with the same deck! I am breathlessly anticipating Throne Wars!

I own quite a few Star Wars cards, but I never got into it enough to compete. I haven't played it for a while, though I think I may end up dragging it back out a few years from now, when the kids get a little older.

Speaking of them, we play Pokemon, and I own most of our better cards. It's actually a fun little game, as long as you don't try to compare it to Magic, and it makes for a real good middle ground on which to relate to them.

I'm steadfastly refusing them the latest Pokemon rip-off, Digimon, though. From what I understand it's just a horrible game to play :p.

N

nellyfan

i played tomb raider
to gumby kahn i am a die hard pokemon hater and i played it
some of the most popular kids around here play magic and most of the rest that don't think its pretty cool

R

rkoelsch

My favorite was Guardians you want to talk about art that game had some art. and it was tactical as there were spaces you were trying to control more so than Magic. But it died and the cards were really cheap so I bought boxes and got a friend at work to play. Then he left I just traded all my cards for some magic. It was about 5 boxes worth for 2 Tropical Islands 2 Reflecting pools 3 dustbowls and some other cards
I have also played Jyhad, Overpower, LOFR, Middle earth Wizards, Shadowfist, Battletech and some others.

G

galtwish

Spellfire would be decent if there were different formats. It's kind of like playing Highlander T1 with no banned cards. It's a little degenerate, but my playgroup doesn't want to spend the money for the ultra rares, so it's pretty balanced. If you like D&D, you'll probably like Spellfire.

Shadowfist is a great game, probably better than Magic for enjoyability and group mechanics. We'll see how well it's comeback turns out.

Mutant Chronicles had great art, cool mechanics, and an interesting storyline, but I coulnd never get anyone to play.

Doomtown was too broken. Playtest people! Lots of non-interactive turn one or two wins.

Star Trek (TOS) card game is fun, but a little weird. Maybe I should actually play it, I have 11 boxes of the stuff (ahhh, eBay)...Kirk!

Milk & Cookies is really fun (non-ccg), and Revolution is pretty decent as well.

Wow, I game entirely too much...

Erik

T

theorgg

NON-magic? does that include Portal? :)

Currently, the only one that I've actually played is Doomtown. a really good game untill they relesed the expantions beond the "flock" episode. then they just got broken.

When some mad scientists can sit at home and win the second day, it sucks.

When you're the sherrif and step out of the bar that went across the street and shootout with someone, it's cool. Five fives, BABY! 40 "5's" in a deck, 54 cards w/jokers.
it's fun... for me.
untill it broke...

As for cards that I've never played, I've got Xxxenophile(;)) and Guardians for the collectable angle.
I've got random cards from just about every other game, too--and that's pretty cool.

Anyone want an UNOPENED Guardians Revised box? I've got on... $25 if anyone is interested..
that game has the BEST art that doesn't have phill phogio or Ian Miller.

H

Hetemti

The only other CCG cards I have are a slab of Rage cards I got for free from some guy who was cleaning out his closet.

I haven't a clue how to play but I did get some foils.

S

smurfturd

Rage foils were worth around $25-$35, back in the brief hey-day, you mite get some decent cash for them on Ebay, people still buy them.