Wizards Sues Rancored_Elf From MTGSalvation!!!

L

Lythand

I think a couple of Mediocur cards on a spoiler arent bad. But the whole list isnt a really good idea.

L

Larcen26

The probelm with the lawsuit as I see it is the slightly contradictory (or at the very least divergent) reasons that Maro has put forth for it.

On one hand, you have the suing because confidential information was obtained and "distributed"...Nice solid legal case. And this is where it should have stopped.

But then came argument 2, this is the aregument where he says that people work long and hard deciding how to reveal sets, and when someone comes along and screws with that, it makes them angry.

This is a much weaker argument, and unfortinately makes it look like they sued RE out of spite, instead of simply to take legal action to protect their "property"

This is really the problem that I have seen all along...especially whenever Maro starts talking about spoilers...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If you read the article more closely, "argument 2" is under his "personal feelings" half and has nothing to do with the legal argument.

Mark Rosewater said:
Instead of talking about this topic as a figurehead of the company, let me take a moment to talk about my personal feelings.

Z

Zigathon

Well, obviously, the lawsuit hasn't stemmed the tide of spoilers coming out. Although they are not completed as soon. Perhaps thats an inside promotion thing or something.
Or maybe it will take until after Time Spiral until they stop completely.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I have read a lot of this and I believe that the suit stemmed from the publication of cards in developement, not from cards finished. Somewhere I read that there were 4 cards for future sets that were published by RE. These cards were not just "spoilers", but pre-finished ideas.
Once the cards are sent to the printers, WoTC is putting out spoilers ASAP.

L

Larcen26

Spiderman said:
If you read the article more closely, "argument 2" is under his "personal feelings" half and has nothing to do with the legal argument.
No I get that, and I did read that. But it really seems like he is using his personal feelings as some sort of extra justification. Which then implies, to me at least, that they would not be so up in arms about it if it were just a legal issue...but it also hurts their feelings, so that is why they took the extra steps.

I know that they are his feelings, but I bet they are shared throughout the company. And I highly doubt that they were not a factor in the decision.

It just seems whiny to me. If you are going to sue a guy for a legitimate legal reason, then go and do it and don't try to sugar coat it with "But this guy and all of you people like him really make us sad...so don't be mad at us OK?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
<shrug> Well, we each have our own opinion then...

Personally, I think that if he's using his personal feelings as justification AND pushed it through the company (or the feeling was shared throughout), they would have put a stop to it long ago.

L

Lythand

Just my 2 cents. I think legally he could use his feelings as legal justification. I mean look at divorcees sueing for verbal abuse, emotional distress. This results in negative feelings. Which can be upheld in a court of law.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Because copyright laws don't work that way at all. Mark Rosewater was not married to the guy. It's a non-issue. Legally, he could be absolutely heartbroken and it wouldn't have any relevance to the case.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You gotta remember that though Mark Rosewater has been a public face of WOTC and is very open, I don't think anyone knows how much influence he could have on this issue.

He could have lots, he could have none. I think people are once again mixing up his personal feelings with corporate policy, similiar to his voting and reasons for Mike Long for the Hall of Fame.

T

train

I can understand splitting the business and personal...

What I'm looking at is that WoTC did begin using this to find the leaks, but I haven't seen any reports or charges filed of it...

Do we know of any - or anyone in the Washington area hear of any locally?