The Devil made me do it .dec

Killer Joe

Two days ago I got a call about attending a funeral on Friday. Friday I usually play Magic at BSG, but I want to be at the viewing (somethings are more important than Magic and that's comming from an OCD on Magic candidate). So Mr. Nice Guy Games, a place I used to haunt back in my DCI rating-days, is currently having Extended tournaments on Wednesday Nights for the local pro's to practice and they're always in need of a supply of "Randoms" like me (I define "Random" as someone who has the potential to be good but is inconsistent at their game play). Anyway, I negotiate with my significant other to go last night (Wed. 11/9/05) and play. But I have NO deck to compete with.

So I get on-line and find this horrible looking UGb thing that looks like UG Madness but had Gifts and Psychatog in it (Yuck!). However, I have all the cards needed for it and I slap it together with the suggested sideboard and off I go without even "Goldfishing" it. I get to the shop, pay the fee ($5), get paired, and shuffle.

My first match is against a local pro-tour guy playing, of all things, Affinity. I thought that that deck was smashed, but that's in Standard and that was BEFORE it rotated out. [Note: I am waaaaaay out of touch with the tournament world].

It took me about two games before I figured out how to abuse the Dredge ability in Life from the Loam and Darkblast which fuels Psychatog and puts Wonder in my graveyard. This isn't a tournament report but more like a, "Hey guys, I went to visit Tourneyland and boy, was I ever in for a surprise!"

I went 2 - 2 and came in 8th out of 14. I beat two other "Randoms", lost to the local PT guy and a rising star PT guy (as descibed by himself-I don't miss THAT part about tournament life :rolleyes: ). I got randomly picked to recieve the Foil DCI card Skyknight Legionnaire (it goes directly into my RW Boros Weenie Deck ;) )

Anyway, here's the list and I forgot who played it at PT LA, sorry :( .

UGb Madness Tog - Extended

Lands (21)
4 Yavimaya Coast
1 Cephalid Coliseum
2 Island
3 Forest
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Watery Grave
1 Swamp
1 Lonely Sandbar
2 Bloodstained Mire
3 Polluted Delta

Creatures (20)
4 Wild Mongrel
4 Arrogant Wurm
4 Basking Rootwalla
3 Psychatog
3 Aquamoeba
1 Thought Courier
1 Wonder

Spells (19)
1 Life from the Loam
4 Careful Study
4 Circular Logic
2 Gifts Ungiven
3 Chrome Mox
2 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Darkblast
2 Deep Analysis

SB://
3 Engineered Plague
4 Smother
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Oxidize

F

Fabyfakid

It's always fun to get tooled by the "pros". I remember being a newbie with a stock Apocalypse deck playing against a "pro" with an angel-themed deck. I remember I was getting pwned like crazy, but I promised myself that I had to hold up for 9 turns. I ended up holding for 10 turns and taking the win. he was pumping up and angel with first strike and couple of other goodies, I whip up the right card yugioh-style, and guess what, it was a Yavimaya's Embrace (5GUU - "You control enchanted creature.Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has trample."). So I went ahead and crowned his angel, slashed him back and won; against a "pro"!!! Good times, good times...

N

nwadams

i pwned a pro once but i was playing ww and they were playing control/combo or something and i used charge across the araba on turn 5 to win

Killer Joe

"Owned" :rolleyes:

I went 1-2 against the "Rising Star" guy and he was none too happy that I beat him game one against his Extended version of RWb Boros Weenie (The black was for Dark Confidant). Come to think of it, I was by far the oldest in the crowd by some 15 years and I know the guys I did beat had underestimated me and so did "Rising Star Guy" but the PT Player I played in round one knew me and didn't give me an inch to breathe becuase I've beaten him once or twice in the distant past, HIM, I liked :).

Against the RWb Boros Deck I should've sided in Engineered Plague but I would'nt know what to have named. He had Hounds, Spirits (Frostling), Soldiers. It ended up that I saw the Frostlings way more than anything else, oh well :( .

Killer Joe

Killer Joe said:
Two days ago I got a call about attending a funeral on Friday. Friday I usually play Magic at BSG, but I want to be at the viewing (somethings are more important than Magic and that's comming from an OCD on Magic candidate). So Mr. Nice Guy Games, a place I used to haunt back in my DCI rating-days, is currently having Extended tournaments on Wednesday Nights for the local pro's to practice and they're always in need of a supply of "Randoms" like me...
Last night (11/18) I was the 'caller' for my children's PTA sponsored Holiday BINGO and so another 'casual' night of game play was miseed by me. I knew a few weeks ago that I would miss what's supposed to be my weekly Friday Magic Events at Blue Star Games but sometimes I just have to do it for my kids sake.

But not all was lost, I now know about the Wednesday night extended tournaments held at MNNG (as mentioned above) and though I'll more likely judge the extended events comming up instead of playing in them I don't really prefer to go to them, but I did this past Wednesday, again :rolleyes:

I played Billy Moreno's UGb Madness Tog deck and this time I had the right list, the above list should've had 4 Polluted Deltas (no swamp) and a Centaur Garden (no 3rd Forest).

I went 2-2 but no like you might think:
4 rounds of swiss
RD. 1 vs ~BYE~ (2-0 / 1-0)
RD. 2 vs Ryan playing The Rock (2-2 / 1-1)
RD. 3 vs Wizards Scepter Chant with Arcane Laboratoy (2-4 / 1-2)
RD. 4 vs Anthony left in disgust I never get to play, I win (4-4 / 2-2)

What a sucky night for me, the two guys I did play were no "Randoms" (as described above) they are the two of the stores PT Lackeys. They "pwned" in both matches. But to make me feel better the store owner (Real Thing from seveal years ago on this sight) had me play the Round 4 ~BYE~ who was, you guessed it, a "Random" :D

He's playing UB Dimir discard with no creatures and minmum removal. I win with ease two game although some of the credit goes to him as he Glimpsed me twice and then I slap down Psychatog! IN BOTH GAMES!!!!!! :D :D

After the tournament my friend "KING" (another "Random" who's about my age and we get along great) and I played with our tournament decks since he and I didn't get paired. He's playing straight burn with no creatures. I win both games. I never even sideboarded against either of them.

I felt just a little better but I think I've come to an epiphany <sp?> I am among the very best of players in the area among "Random" types and I'm okay with that. It's doubtful that I'll return to those tournaments as I have much more FUN losing at Multiplayer at BSG or GASP :D

I wonder what my rating is now? I haven't checked it in so long, I'll bet I'm at least in 1300's :confused:

M

mythosx

perhaps you would have checked the boros guy with more darkblasts...those things go a long ways.

Killer Joe

mythosx said:
perhaps you would have checked the boros guy with more darkblasts...those things go a long ways.
You're right :(

He was kind of a "jerk" during our game-play, at one time he declared attackers, I waited, he motioned for me to go on and I declared blockers and he said he wasn't ready for me to declare blockers and defended his hand swing as a random act, nice.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's when you specifically have to start saying "You have priority" or "Are you passing priority", etc.

Killer Joe

Spiderman said:
That's when you specifically have to start saying "You have priority" or "Are you passing priority", etc.
Again, correct!

I sometimes have this "Deer eyes in headlights" syndrome where I'm so astonished by what's going on that I tend to not react instead of stopping the ordeal and correct it. :rolleyes:

My schedule won't have me going back there for awhile but I did walk away with some of that old "tournament" feeling and it has already affected my casual game-play. :eek: