RWU Rebel Yell!

Killer Joe

I love Red, White & Blue decks. For a long while I was trying to get my Miss America deck to work but it failed time and again. I think I tried to have too many answers and not enough OOMPH!

So I was thinking about the Rebels and I slapped together this:
4x Ramosian Sergeant
4x Defiant Falcon
4x Steadfast Guard
3x Defiant Vanguard
3x Revielle Squad

4x Counterspell
4x Mana Leak

4x Fire // Ice
4x Incinerate

4x Glorious Anthem

22 Appropiate land mix.

In case anyone forgot here's the Rebel cards and no I don't have what's-her-name:

Ramosian Sergeant - W
Creature - Rebel
3,tap: Search your library for a Rebel card with converted mana cost 2 or less and put that card into play. Then shuffle your library.
1/1

Defiant Falcon - 1W
Creature - Rebel Bird
4,tap: Search your library for a Rebel card with converted mana cost 3 or less and put that card into play. Then shuffle your library.
1/1

Steadfast Guard - WW
Creature - Rebel
Vigilance
2/2

Defiant Vanguard - 2W
Creature - Rebel
When Defiant Vanguard blocks, at end of turncombat, destroy it and all creatures it blocked this turn.
5,tap: Search your library for a Rebel card with converted mana cost 4 or less and put that card into play. Then shuffle your library.
2/2

Reveille Squad - 2WW
Creature - Rebel
Whenever you're attacked, if Rebel Squad is untapped, you may untap all creatures you control.

Anyone ever build something like this before? What worked for you?

F

f-6

I have played some decks fairly similar to this one, allthough quite long ago.

If you have fetchlands and duals it is not so much of a problem, but otherwise it might be a bit tricky to get UU for counterspell.

Whenever I have the Falcon or Lieutenant I always play at least one Nightwind and one Termal glider to mess a little with mono-black and mono-red decks.

Is this deck meant to be extended legal? Swords to plowshares and Lightning bolts are pretty good, I hear... :D

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Killer Joe said:
In case anyone forgot here's the Rebel cards and no I don't have what's-her-name:
I bet I have what's-her-name, the rebel that fetches? ;)
And I might even be able to find the card...... :D

H

Hetemti

Swords and Bolts are good, but what do they replace? (I've been playing the "I need slots, and I can't cut anything without killing the theme" deckbuilding game so much, lately...) Feu et Glace is pretty potent. Sure, bolt's big, but sometimes you need to whack two weenies, and the tap/cantrip is power against stuff that can't be dealt with, otherwise.

Have you considered Arcane Denial instead of Counterspell? It does give your opponent cards, but it's a single-U hard counter, and since you recruit a lot, you should have card advantage to burn. You don't want to see a Wrath come down while you're sitting on a Counterspell, Plains, and Adarkar Waste.

Is there a hardcounter at 2U that you could use? I vaguely remember seeing something like that Mirrodin-era in a draft. I know I saw a 2U boomerang along the way...

I really hate post-was-edited annotations, since I usually post once and revise four times afterward. Go away, edit annotation, you're not wanted here...SHOO!

Killer Joe

McMoose - I still owe you for the Cabal Coffers! But A "Lin Sivvi" would be nice :)

Hetemti - Vex for 2U Counter target spell that spells controller draws a card. I thought about Arcane Denial and I DO have four copies. Maybe it could go in.

f - 6 - I do have a full compliment of 'fetch lands' and I have a couple of the duals needed i.e. Plateau (2), Tundra (1) and Volcanic Island (1). The Nightwing and Thermal Gliders are nice touches and I'll add some in.

As with many of my decks they are mostly built with the multiplayer format in mind. This would be for small MP games like 3 to 4 players or "Team" play. And no restrictions. :D

F

f-6

Ok, some more feedback after a good nights rest.

Rebels in multiplayer does not work that well in my experience, at least not standard builds like yours. The rebel deck is good at dealing 20 consistenly, but dealing 40, 60 or more is difficult. I think you need another method.

But first a minor tweak. Mana leak is often a dead card late game. Miscalculation does just about the same thing, but you can cycle it late.

With fetch lands and some duals, mana should be manageble so you can keep the Counterspell I think.

To "up" the rebel engine, I would suggest:
-3 Reville squad
-4 Steadfast guard

+3 Whipcorder
+1 Ramosian Captain
+1 Ramosian Commander
+2 Ramosian Sky Marshal
+1 Jhovall Queen

This would give the deck a bit more power. However, an up of the land count to 24 would be a good idea as well.

Also, I would cut red alltogether.
-4 Incinirate
-4 Fire/Ice

+4 StP
+2 Land
+1 Termal glider
+1 Nightwind glider

The last thing to think about is the fact that you have no way of dealing with stuff like Worship, Ensnaring bridge and so on. Some form of artifact and enchantment control should go in. Somewhere...

H

Hetemti

Speaking of dead cards, and Mercadian, (and now, in pre-post review I read previous posts and see "Some form of artifact and enchantment control should go in. Somewhere...") what about Devout Witness? Despite her awful dreds and hideous Jolie lips, extra lands and less-useful Mana Leaks can turn to Disenchants that make people think twice about drawing your ire, and can clear evil enchantments and gamebreaker artifacts (except pitas like Damping Matrix or Cursed Totem, of course) that would like to ruin everyone's day.

C

Cat Quinten

I'm knew around here but just had to ask why you don't run Lin-Sivvi in your deck. She's a must for my rebel deck.