Planet Hurt

E

Exaulted_Leader

This is a 'rental' deck I'm starting to get used to, and am now trying to cobble together to own.

PLANET HURT

Creatures

Terravore x4
Yavimaya Elder x4

Spells

Seismic Assault x4
Journey of Discovery x4
Land Tax x4
Skullclamp x4
Desperate Ritual x4
Sterling Grove x3
Enlightened Tutor x1

Land

Mountain x9
Plains x9
Forest x10

I find it to be more consisten than dedicated Seismic Assault decks, and much more resilient (it's suprising the number of times you wind-up pushing through lethal damage on the backs of your Elders).

Early Game is a tad slow, and should usually revolve around you looking for a Land Tax and Seismic Assault to play shoulder-to-shoulder. This is your main gun, and is something to be used with thought and precision. Wait until your opponent's turn to get a volley off - preferably after you know he isn't going to do something displeasurable during his combat phase. Favor it's use for board control rather than feeding shots to your opponent's dome (but don't hesitate to go for the kill when you've got a clear shot).

Through the Mid-to-late Game, you should be looking to escalate the threat range of your Seismic Assault by placing multiple Land Taxes. Terravore should be a huge monster at this point if you get the opportunity to play him, and one successful swing with him should mean that someone's eating dirt. Yavimaya Elder should be hanging-around to dish-out some beats rather than putting on a Skullclamp at this stage.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It looks fun, if a bit slow. You could really be hurting if your Land Tax gets hit by a removal spell...

E

Exaulted_Leader

Indeed. It would be akin to running out of bullets at an inopportune moment.

Protecting them with the Groves isn't necessarily difficult - but it is a real pain when they catch you off-guard with removal.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe add a Regrowth then? (I'm guessing you don't want to add any of the white creatures who might be able to retrieve the Land Tax from the graveyard)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Regrowth might work, although with the percentage of cards in this deck that are permanents, it's likely a dead card if you draw it early game and don't get hit by removal...

What white creatures did you have in mind? Something like Monk Idealist?

J

jorael

I don't believe land tax is unrestricted according to any tournament type, so playing 4 is kind of lame, IMO.

You could also make a R/G seismic assault deck based on a spirit/arcane engine with Elder Pine of Jukai. I did and it played ok, it was more of a beatdown deck with a good late game effect, but it's fun to play.

kami kaze
24 lands

4 Frostling
4 Blademane Baku
4 Hearth Kami
4 Elder Pine of Jukai
4 Pain Kami
4 Kami of the Tended Garden
4 Forked-Branch Garami

4 Kodama's Reach
4 Seismic Assault

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Land Tax is unrestricted in Vintage (I think it happened within the past year). Still banned in Legacy.

Oversoul said:
Regrowth might work, although with the percentage of cards in this deck that are permanents, it's likely a dead card if you draw it early game and don't get hit by removal...

What white creatures did you have in mind? Something like Monk Idealist?
Well, it's only one card so I'd be willing to take that chance. And no one plays removal in Vintage? Again, I'd like to think the chances of that happening are low too (especially since he has Sterling Groves in there, which means he comes up against removal most of the time) (unless it's for the tutoring ability).

I couldn't remember the white creatures off-hand and didn't want to search. So if Monk Idealist gets back an enchantment from the graveyard, that would have been one.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
Land Tax is unrestricted in Vintage (I think it happened within the past year). Still banned in Legacy.
I think your memory is fuzzy there, Spidey. I'm pretty sure Land Tax has been unrestricted for much more than a year...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul said:
I think your memory is fuzzy there, Spidey. I'm pretty sure Land Tax has been unrestricted for much more than a year...
<shrug> Could be. That's why I said "I think".

F

Force of Will Smith

as an alternate win, you might be able to run barrel down sozokan and a mogg maniac,

5 mountains, maniac, barrel for 10 to mogg, discard 5 to seismic for 10 more damage to an opponent.

J

jorael

Lol, that has been my plan too. Make it a goblin deck for style points (akki underling is fun too with barrel down sokenzan).