Breaking news!!!

M

Mr_Pestilence

Despite years of resisting and bad-mouthing, I have joined Magic Online...

(hold for applause)

However, true to form, I have a few complaints:

1. Has anyone calculated how many times I have to click that GD "OK" button in any given match?

2. Is there any way short of Divine intervention to untap a land and not take mana burn?

3. Why does my clock run so fast? I am not a slow player, but I usually have 10 minutes less than my opponent. This is a real pain when there is a series of things on the stack, like responses and triggered abilities.

D

DÛke

Alt+U untaps lands.

Alt+Enter does the "Ok" command.

Welcome to MTGO. Be prepared to encounter lower life forms of all shapes and sizes.

O

orgg

Welcome to Magic Online. join the moderators and support staff room, then type (without the []'s) [/addbuddy "CPAlliance The Orgg"]. I'll then hopefully see you online.

I assume the name is "Mr Pestilence"? I'll give you a guided tour. Also, "F2" is the 'click o.k.' key beyond alt+enter; F4 means "I take everything until the end of the turn, don't bother me." It's currently bugged a bit, though.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Thanks for the tips - I've lost a couple of draft matches already due to not knowing exactly how to make things work.

One more advantage to Online play - since I don't have to actually touch the cards, I may even try out a few Blue spells [ /heresy ].

O

orgg

DUke might have some stories about how the first four decks I played against him were nontraditional blue decks...

So what's your name online, Mister P?

C

Captain Caveman

Alright, another CPA member.

I'm there as well. Captain Caveman, of course. My brother is there too. His MoL name is agentjp. I'm usually online every other Thursday and Friday and some week nights and a few weekday afternoon's. I play Standard, Extended, Vanguard, Pauper, 2HG and 100 card "open" decks(usually just play that with my brother and Online buddy, rat128; ...3 on 3)

Hope to see you online,

:)

C

Chaos Turtle

I'll likely be joining Magic Online sometime this winter. I'm sure my old screen name is still active, so... let the anticipation begin!

Ferret

Staff member
You know, I love MTGO (FerretCPA), but I'm stuck with few problems:

1. I'm forced to use only cards that I buy online. I have already spent a small fortune on cardboard and there's no way I can import them into the digital version. So, just like when I first started playing I'm at the mercy of people with larger bank accounts (or access to Mommy & Daddy's credit cards).

2. Recent set designs seem to be taking the fun out of deckbuilding. It's almost like they're designing what the next dominating deck will be when they create the cardsets. The last three cycles have given decks that any idiot could create. Creativity has been shot out the window. You don't even need to wait for someone to create a net.deck for you if the preconstructed deck you just purchased is only 7-10 rares away from being unstoppable.

3. The people that play with said decks in 2 above. I cannot believe how many times I've faced off against other decks when I see players say "You don't have <X CARD>? Everyone I know has four of them in their decks!" Then I go to the marketplace and check how much said card is going for and it's usually 8-15 tickets. Then, they use annoying jargon that was the reason I stopped playing in sanctionned events - or even gaming stores!

4. On a more personal note, due to being busy with the military I usually don't have the time/money/bandwidth to keep up with the game...I'll see if that changes when I get home later this year...

Still, I think that if WotC wants to bring back some of the fun to the game they need to do a few things to remedy the situations above:

1. Make more older cards available or at least find out if we can do a reverse-redemption thing - or, how about making older sets available and having a strictly Legacy room or something?

2. Bring back variety to the sets. It's possible to have cards that are from the same creature types that actually force you to come up with ways to produce synergy (can we say Fallen Empires?).

3. Nothing can really be done about this situation. People will play to win if they want. I guess the best thing to do is try to find the select peoplet that you'll want to game with avoid everyone else.

4. Make the cards free for me and get me a high speed connection to my current location in Iraq and tell the Insurgency to quit bothering me when I want to play cards. It's like they hate the idea of us playing Magic with each other...

-Ferret

"Such a boring country, you'd think they'd want something fun to do between sandstorms..."

M

Mr_Pestilence

Sorry, Isty, I didn't see you're msg, but thanks anyway, and "Hello", back
atcha!

Ferret: I have the same the same issues w/ WotC -

I am really getting fed up w/ constructed play - there's no room for creativity and every format seems to be dominated by control decks.

I have an idea for solving the real/virtual cardboard dilemma, but the few people I've discussed it with don't seem to think it would work. The concept I have is of an ATM-like machine, which would be available at Magic retailers. For a fee (say, 25 cents/card) you would place your card in the Magic-ATM, the machine would scan it, and you would be credited w/ a virtual copy of that card in your online account.

In the process, your physical card would have to be destroyed, or at least surrendered and returned to WotC. This would prevent a net increase in any given card, thus protecting the market value. Perhaps w/ the "real" cards being returned to WotC, there could be a reversal of the process, exchanging virtual cards for real ones, but the administration of this aspect of the program seems too complicated and expensive to me.

One other issue - keep your @#$$%^$^#$ control decks out of the "casual play" area of Magic online! I think some cards should be banned from casual play, such as counterspells of all types, land destruction cards, and probably discard cards - if you want tournament play or practice, there are other venues available!

Thank You, and good night...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ferret said:
1. I'm forced to use only cards that I buy online. I have already spent a small fortune on cardboard and there's no way I can import them into the digital version. So, just like when I first started playing I'm at the mercy of people with larger bank accounts (or access to Mommy & Daddy's credit cards).
I think for here, if you don't have the monetary means to compete, you gotta find other ways, like trading among buddies (well, trading flat out, I guess). But money is always going to be an issue, whether online or in real life.

I like Mr. P's idea of "redeeming" a physical card for a virtual one though :)

C

Crackdown

Mr_Pestilence said:
Sorry, Isty, I didn't see you're msg, but thanks anyway, and "Hello", back
atcha!

. . .

One other issue - keep your @#$$%^$^#$ control decks out of the "casual play" area of Magic online! I think some cards should be banned from casual play, such as counterspells of all types, land destruction cards, and probably discard cards - if you want tournament play or practice, there are other venues available!

Thank You, and good night...
I'm in this corner almost completely. In particular, I refuse to play against tier 1 or 1.5 decks in the casual deck room and let opponents know early in the game if I see the signs of T & N, Ponza, Aten Rat Control, 5c Gifts Ungiven, etc.

Discard is a bit tougher since Black almost always requires some hand disruption to prevent combinations or unremovable cards from seeing play (artifacts and enchantments). Some hand disruption does not mean a Ravenous Rats discard lock though.

In the end, it's a question of enjoyment. If one doesn't enjoy playing against certain types of decks, then concede and move on.

Ferret

Staff member
Spiderman said:
Hey Ferret (and anyone else), if I'm reading this correctly, you can get in these drafts for free but if you win, can still get some rewards. Not bad.

Magic Online 3rd Birthday Events
It looks nice, but I'm not sure if I'll have a stable internet connection that week - and, if it's anything like their apology for 2.0 celebration it'll be a disaster...

-Ferret

"Of course, I did get a lot of free product during that..."

O

orgg

How funny... There's no participation/login avatar...

...and my computer pops for a few weeks, causing me to miss the celebrations. :roll eyes:

So, Mister Pestilence, how are you liking MOL so far?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ferret said:
It looks nice, but I'm not sure if I'll have a stable internet connection that week - and, if it's anything like their apology for 2.0 celebration it'll be a disaster...
Just wanted to give you a heads up... were you able to do it? And it's always worth a try, what else can you lose besides your time? :)