how many decks can one man have??

L

Limited

I always have had a hard time pulling a deck apart after I'm done with it, so this has led to me buying an rather large amount of sleeves and land.

I just finished modifying some decks and decided to count them.

How do you guys handle your deckstock?

Y

YoungBeard

Hmm... I don't have a problem pulling apart decks that I've outgrown. At any given time I probably have about a dozen, plus one or two works in progress.

D

DarthFerret

I usually end up with about 20 decks (or parts of them that I robbed out of) until I finally get sick of it every 5-6 months and reorganize my cards (usually a 3 day event). I know exactly how you feel, even if I do not have that many decks...lol

N

Nightstalkers

Well, I have only around 5-10 decks actually made, but they're usually thrown together from what I've playtested and liked. I've pulled cards from older decks to create what I usually have on hand, so I'm limited to what I've got.

If you counted all the decks I have in "storage" (i.e. electronically stored and saved for future reconstruction) I would have around 60-80 decks ready.

Killer Joe

about a dozen at one given time.

Not too much anymore but for about the last 5 years I've always had a competetive deck from each feasable format built just in case I would have the opportunity to play in a sanctioned tourney.

Currently I have on stand-by:
~Kamigawa Block: None
~Standard: UG Crystal Witness
~Extended: UG Madness
~Legacy: ATS
~Vintage: UR Fish

Multiplayer (Large Group 5+):
~RGW Seinfeld Deck
~BGr "The Rock"
~UBW Draw-Go
~UGW The Justice League

Multiplayer (Small Group 4 or less):
~RGW Astral Slide
~UGW Counter Sliver
~RWU Miss America
~UBR Spirit-Go

You know, I just noticed something, I like three-colored decks. :rolleyes: huh.

Recently torn apart decks:
~Ravager-less Affinity
~UB Harpy-Rats Deck
~Elf Ball 2K4
~BW Cleric-Life Deck

I bought a "Journal" book (blank pages with lines) that had the shields of the four houses from the Harry Potter School (Akzabar?). It was a Buck for for like a 100 page journal and had a wizards hat on the top of each page. Well I took a black sharpie to the Harry Potter logos and left the shields and I use the book to record all of my favorite decks dating back to 1998. I used to keep my favorite deck lists on scattered index cards so I had to reorganize them and re-write them for my journal.

I do believe, however, that I remember having 18 working decks with no proxy's in them at one time.

That's a whole hellluva lot of Counterspell's! :D :p :) :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :(

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Killer Joe said:
That's a whole hellluva lot of Counterspell's!
Yeah. I remember when I only had eight Dark Rituals and could only have two black decks at a time unless I wanted to use proxies. That was annoying. Now I have that same situation, but with Force of Will...

O

orgg

Online, I've got a bit ove a MEG of decks. Find out the average deck size, then do some math...

Offline, I have at least close to a hundred different decks. I keep them in boxes. Sometimes I'll lose them, and be overjoyed when I finally find them later. Heh.

J

jorael

I usually have about 12 decks ready to play with. After a few times I deconstruct them and make new decks.

When I rebuild a deck I already played I look at the idea again and determine what cards to use. Sometimes it becomes the exact deck played before, sometimes it becomes a very different deck.

I never write decks down, so sometimes it's a bit of a puzzle to rebuild a deck. But I like it, gives me new ideas.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I have about 3 full decks and maybe 6 partial decks that were cannibalized to make the 3 full ones. I used to write down deck contents but stopped playing regularly enough to warrant it now...

D

Dark_Tira

Online I currently have 478 decks, IRL since I don't play much anymore I only maintain 3.

H

Homestar

i usually keep about 5 decks, give or take 1 or 2, and i always have some completely retarded deck that no one should play for any reason, at one time i had an ALL land, but 4 fireball, 4 blaze, 4 fanning flames, 4 rolling thunder. but then, yeah, 5-7 decks at atime

Ferret

Staff member
Despite the fact that I haven't created a RL deck in ages, I still have about 19 of them still constructed and in nice little boxes (some as old as Revised, and some boxes as "New" as Tempest). The reason for this was I would play insanely long sessions w/ my friends every Wed nights and if everyone just used the same decks over and over it would get really old fast, so each of us had about 8-12 decks. Now, you might be saying that 12 is less than 18. Well, I had to create six new decks after the release of one of my favourite cards: Coat of Arms. Even w/o all of the cool tribal stuff from Onslaught Block you could still make some pretty cool theme decks w/ Merfolk, Wizards (old school B/U), Spikes, and Thallids (that's right: Thallids). I also made the necessary Goblin deck and a black and white Knight deck.

Now, on MTGO, I have only one deck that I used regularly that was modified three ways (Emperor strong flank, Emperor weak flank, and straight duel). Since I can't afford an extensive collection of online cards, this probably won't change anytime soon - which suits me fine since I'm not expecting to have a decent connection until next month and even then, I shouldn't have the time to dedicate to serious casual online play.

-Ferret

"Serious Casual?"

H

Homestar

i dont play MTGO much anymore because my parents dont allow me to buy cards for it.. i have a decent collection but its not fun enough, so when i DO go on, i go around begging for cards and i have a friend that has like 30000 cards and will donate to me a lot.

F

Force of Will Smith

I have all mine in a thick cardboard box.. sleeved,etc...
High-Five Limited.. I got 57!!!