Anyone seen the "Power ninth edition" poster that's been circulating around?

N

Nightstalkers

Having pictures of Duress, Imperial Seal, Rancor, Cataclysm, Mox Diamond, Jester's Cap, Winds of Change, Tradewind Rider, and Brainstorm on it...

I'm scared... I nearly pissed myself with glee when I saw the bit Mox Diamond in the middle of the poster...

Umm... FYI: I collect Mox Diamonds...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
That sounds like a hoax. If it's true, they're going to anger some people, but I will not be one of those people. I will laugh.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, presumably the idea is that it has nine powerful reprints. It seems like actually reprinting those nine cards (even if the rest of the set sucked) would cause an uproar...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The Imperial Seal thing alone made it look like a hoax, but I should have known for sure, just based on the fact that Mox Diamond is on the reserved list. Oh well, I guess that it's because I haven't taken a look at the reserved list for a long time now. I'm not even sure where it can be found these days...

J

jackal_pup

it is a hoax. open the image up in an image viewing program that will let you zoom in. the perspective is all messed up - whoever made the content of the poster messed up the perspective badly so it doesn't match that of the poster. the crease lines on the poster (which cut it in half vert. and horiz.) do not pass through what should be the center of what was edited onto the poster.

J

jorael

The meaning of 'apparently' on www.Dictionary.com:

1. Readily seen; visible.
2. Readily understood; clear or obvious.
3. Appearing as such but not necessarily so; seeming: an apparent advantage.

Synonyms: apparent, clear, clear-cut, distinct, evident, manifest, obvious, patent, plain
These adjectives mean readily seen, perceived, or understood: angry for no apparent reason; a clear danger; clear-cut evidence of tampering; distinct fingerprints; evident hostility; manifest pleasure; obvious errors; patent advantages; making my meaning plain.

Usage Note: Used before a noun, apparent means “seeming”: For all his apparent wealth, Pat had no money to pay the rent. Used after a form of the verb be, however, apparent can mean either “seeming” (as in His virtues are only apparent) or “obvious” (as in The effects of the drought are apparent to anyone who sees the parched fields). One should take care that the intended meaning is clear from the context.

I meant that it's obvious that the poster was a fake, proven by the forum links in my post. According to the dictionary, the word apparently can mean obvious, but also seeming. Looking at the last part, it usually means 'obvious'.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
Thanks.

I would have said "obviously" though since that's what it means here :)
Well, "obviously" could imply that it should be known without the links, since it is so easy to tell that it's a fake. While that was what I suspected, I wasn't absolutely positive that it was a fake, so I don't think it was obvious (or apparent) unless one looked into the matter (which I didn't care to, since I haven't been buying cards for quite some time now).

So when Jorael posted "apparently it's a fake" after providing links, I took it to mean "these links make it apparent." I guess that it would also be possible to interpret it as "these links make it seem like it's a fake." Such a possibility had not occured to me at all until you brought it up...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul said:
I guess that it would also be possible to interpret it as "these links make it seem like it's a fake."
That's what I took it as (since I didn't check out the links either). I thought the links were just part of a discussion that was leaning towards saying it was a fake, but not definite yet.

J

jackal_pup

Well, it's *obviously* fake when you take a close look at it zoomed in with a program that can enhance images such as Photoshop. :)

I

Istanbul

The maker of the fake admitted to it and admitted that it was a fake.

False. Not real. Fraudulent.

Ferret

Staff member
Bogus, unreal, artificial...don't make me get out my Thesaurus...

It would be nice if Wizards were to reprint nine nicely powerful cards like that in a basic set. It might even encourage people to buy the basic set for a change - however, I doubt this will ever happen. The reserved list was created for a reason (I'm not really sure what that reason is), and it would really make them look stupid if they suddenly started going back on it...

-Ferret

"Back for Ninth Edition: Sorrow's Path!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ferret said:
It might even encourage people to buy the basic set for a change
Why is that important? I'm sure the people who are just coming in or missed the original expansions in whose cards are included buy the basic set and the others who already have the cards... don't.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ferret said:
The reserved list was created for a reason (I'm not really sure what that reason is), and it would really make them look stupid if they suddenly started going back on it...
The reason I've always heard is "collectors" and that seems to be a horrible reason. It would make them look stupid if they went back on the reserved list. But if they wanted to not look stupid, why get involved in Magic in the first place? :p