Saviors of Kamigawa Preview

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Spiderman said:
Measure of Wickedness
This is basically a Magic equivalent of Hot Potato. Interesting, at the least. I don't think it's that good outside of R/B, though.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It's so easy to pass this to your opponent that it's likely to bounce around forever or until someone gets unlucky. Now if someone can create a deck that, in addition to being competitive without Measure of Wickedness, can easily pass it back to an opponent on that opponent's turn, that would be something...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about Standard, but in other formats, you have that artifact where you can sac stuff to it, so if you do get caught with MoW, you can take care of it...

As one possibility.

Y

YoungBeard

Another deck idea for this card: lots of "Words of..." or other draw-replacement enchantments. After all, you don't really need to draw any more, since you can't play spells after playing the epic one.

Casual Deck Idea: Enduring Ideal.. get Psychic Vortex... get your favorite Words enchantments.. muahahaha

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
I don't know about Standard, but in other formats, you have that artifact where you can sac stuff to it, so if you do get caught with MoW, you can take care of it...

As one possibility.
Not sure which artifact you mean. Claws of Gix is pretty cheap and easy to pitch stuff to. There might be a better one...

C

Captain Caveman

Limited said:
I'm not sure i understand you.. The copies you get during all the following upkeeps are part of the spell; you have to play them to get the copies.

I see, of course. I just didn't get it. I thought that maybe it was some kind of static ability that worked from your graveyard. Would it remember being played, if you put it back into you deck, somehow. I know another silly comment but I'm always looking for some way around things.

:D

N

Nightstalkers

Good lord... and it's an uncommon... (talking about Measure of Wickedness)

This set looks like it's going to be full of the magic equivalent of CS's shotgun, unwieldy and humiliating to lose to.

O

orgg

Another little thing-- you can let the trigger go on the stack their turn, then somehow get a card to go to their graveyard. They give back the enchantment so it isn't sacrificed, but they STILL lose eight life.

F

f-6

Well, lets see what we have... Story circle and Worship for starters. Tribe elders and Reaches from green for mana acceleration and perhaps some Trolls. Confiscate to snatch stuff. Also there are Genjus, especially Genju of the realm. Living terrain is sort of nice. Even Call of the wild might be usefull. I think it is good, but I'm not sure how good...

L

Limited

@Youngbeard: I like the idea of Words of .. with Enduring Ideal. I'm just wondering if EI/Genju could be a Standard deck. White prevent deck with green mana accel, ended with an epic EI for Genju of the Realms?

@Spiderman: Despotic Scepter is the Ice Age card you mean... but it taps so its ability isn't going to cut it.. how about Rats of Rath to combine with Measure of Wickedness?

@Orgg: Bouncing the Measure of Wickedness would be.. wicked actually. Gottlieb already refers to the trix deck.. Boomerang is in 8th right?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
orgg: Is there an instant spell or ability to make a card go to your opponent's graveyard? I can just think of sorcery effects that affect both players... the bounce idea seems like it would work better.

Limited: Thanks, yeah, that's the card I mean. But looking at it, Claws of Gix is probably better for the purpose.

O

orgg

Spidy... Why not kill a creature? That's easy enough. Or perhaps the Necrogen Spellbomb?

L

Limited

orgg said:
Spidy... Why not kill a creature? That's easy enough. Or perhaps the Necrogen Spellbomb?
Spellbombs wouldn't work. Pay cost, MofW triggers, resolves, opponents get MofW, his creatures dies, you get MofW back :(

J

jorael

You could always 'cycle' the spellbomb. The ability of the white and blue one can be used without getting Measure of Wickedness back, as is the red one if you just burn an opponent.

The Kirin creatures look interesting. I wonder what the others will do and if there will be non-rare ones. Adrian Sullivan mentions some good ideas in his article.

Side note: Why does Adrian Sullivan do the same topic as me when I write something?! First the Jitte and now his article is full of non-kamigawa spirits just when I decided to do a non-kamigawa spirit review.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
An Air Elemental with a potential milling ability. It could be great in casual play if players can make that ability do something...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
jorael said:
Side note: Why does Adrian Sullivan do the same topic as me when I write something?! First the Jitte and now his article is full of non-kamigawa spirits just when I decided to do a non-kamigawa spirit review.
Maybe he's your Magic twin :p