4x Tolarian Winds
4x Exhume
4x Reanimate
4x Rites of Refusal
1x Recurring Nightmare
1x Living Death

Creatures

4x Hapless Researcher
8x Recursion Targets (I just slapped-in what I happened to have lying around. 2 Phyrexian Colossus, 1 Rorix Bladewing, 1 Arcanis the Omnipotent, 1 Bringer of the Green Dawn, 1 Living Hive, 1 Kokusho the Evening Star and 1 Sundering Titan. This space is more or less a Choose Your Own Adventure affair).

The gameplan should be pretty self-explanatory (2nd-3rd turn BFG, turn sideways until game is over). This is my weapon of choice for a multiplayer tournament tonight - I'll record the motions and see what happens, perhaps writeup a report. :)

E

Exaulted_Leader

...Wait, wait... change of plans. There will be at least 8 of playing, and not only is this sorft of deck a common sight, it has issues staying afloat. It might knock one or two players out before succumbing to it's own life point payments (not to mention all of the attention it's likely to draw), but it's not likely to take total victory (...and it's hardly sporting to play something that's designed just to make a couple of other people lose, rather than to make yourself win).

I just noticed the CPA article on Mindless Automaton. A card I used to play with a lot, because I loved both the artwork and quirkiness of the card. In fact... yup... I've still got my playset of them. ....And how about that - I've even still got my Sadistic Glee playset, from way back when. There's a few Brawns in here, too... and a lot of other action, come to look at it...

They'll never even see it coming...

Mindless Violence

The Violence

4x Mindless Automaton
4x Living Hive
4x Wild Mongrel
4x Carrion Feeder
2x Brawn
2x Phantom Nishoba

The Mindlessness

4x Sadistic Glee
4x Sakura-Tribe Elder
4x Yavimaya Elder
4x Exhume
4x Reanimate

The Resources

8x Forest
8x Swamp
4x City of Brass

Not even a hint of disruption! UGH!

Oh well. If enough players bring their own explosives to the table, this mightn't be such a problem.

Carrion Feeder is your typical 1st turn drop, while the Wild Mongrel makes for a very nice 2nd turn play (though the Elder is an acceptable substitute every once in a while). The Automaton makes for a very nice turn 3 play (especially if you manage to Exhume or Reanimate him onto the board, leaving enough mana open to hit him with the Sadistic Glee).

From here, your gameplan involves throwing down mana, grabbing recursion spells and using both assets to plop threats onto the board. Brawn should bring you much mirth from it's seat in the graveyard, while the Phantom Nishoba begs and pleads for a Sadistic Glee. Carrion Feeder will munch on all of the insect tokens provided by Living Hive, fueling anyone who's feeling the sadism (not to mention itself).

Someone sweeps the board? No problem. Use your Automaton and recursion spells to get the recovery effort underway.

D

DarthFerret

dont have anything better than the Cities?....they hurt quite a bit if you get a couple in your draw...and slow ya down a lot..

E

Exaulted_Leader

Playtesting has demonstrated that the Elders aren't really necessary... and they tend to get int the way. A lot.

I took them out in favor of Basking Rootwalla and Arrogant Wurm, which seems to be working devilishly.

....Well, I guess I have Llanowar Wastes that could replace the Cities... but why? Granted, the cities can hurt if you mit a handful (though it's not very likely to happen), perhaps even damage your ability to Reanimate - but they're so GOOD. If push comes right down to shove, they even provide me with an outlet to hard cast the Nishoba (though I'd be in pretty dire straights if I was hard casting stuff like him).

D

DarthFerret

Oversoul said:
How would they slow anything down?

What I meant was, and don't laugh, I have had this happen more often than you might think, if you draw two lands on your opening hand, and they both happen to be cities. You will not be casting quite as fast and hard as if you opened up with two non-pain lands. The damage can add up quite quickly in this senario.

If you have not been having this problem with life loss, then by all means keep it. They are very good cards, but also one of those cards that I am allways on the lookout to replace if possible.