Affinity for...

F

f-6

Do you guys have a special affinity for (I know I am opening up a huge can of bad pun opportunities here...) a special card? Some card that you like for no apparent reason?

Here is a part of my list:
Fissure - I started playing when 4e was new and hot. Instant speed removal with a possibility to hit a land once in a while has a nice feel to it.
Shambering strider - Green, fairly big, cool art and nice flavor text. What’s not to like?
Soltari emissary - The first single I bought from the states. Pretty decent card. 2/1 for 1W and good evasion for W.
Benalish emissary - I have NO idea why I like this so much. I think I have about 50 of these.
Expunge/Hush/Smash (and Darkwatch elves) - I really like old cycling cards. For 1 extra mana from Terror/Tranquility/Shatter (and Grizzly bears) you get some (poor) card draw. Decent solution for dead cards.
Benalish lancer - A 2/2 for 3 or a 4/4 first strike for 6. Good? No. But I like it nonetheless.

I have more, but now it is your turn!

//F

F

f-6

Spiderman said:
Is this the same as your favorite card?
Well, kind of but no. I am not asking for good cards. I am asking for cards that have a special meaning for you. To go on a little, Lord of the pit was the biggest, baddest monster of all time when I started playing. Every time I see the card I get flashbacks of joy.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, "favorite card" doesn't have to be "good". In fact, you saying "cards that have special meaning" seem to be "favorite", just said another way.

I'm just asking because there's already a Favorite Card thread in the Classic Questions forum.

D

DarthFerret

A few of my favorite cards: (some are pretty good, some stink, but all are fun for me.)

The whole set of: Prodigal Sorcerer, Zuran Spellcaster, Pirate Ship....and all the new blue creatures that tap to do a point of damage.

Mana Barbs (it started my intrest in my favorite deck: all global enchantment, artifacts, and non-basic lands. Nothing else...[no creatures, instants, sorceries, enchant object, etc...])

Any card that changes card text: Magical hack, Slight of Mind, Mind Bend...etc.

Killer Joe

Tradewind Rider has a 'special' meaning'. It was the worst card I ever came across and it frustrated me to no end. Then, I started to appreciate it and then liked it alot. One of my 'first love' decks are 5CG (circa 1998). It had some other 'special meaning' cards in it such as:
~Derelor
~Tradewind Rider
~Birds of Paradise
~Incinerate
~Armageddon
~Quirion Ranger
~River Boa
~Man-'o-War
&
~City of Brass
:)

Y

YoungBeard

Fungusaur - first rare from the first pack I ever bought. Have loved it ever since. I own about 30 of them.

Someday I'll post my Fungusaur/Splintering Wind/En-Kor deck list.

O

orgg

The first is Abbey Gargoyles from Homelands. The first pack I opened to keep the cards from had that guy stariing back at me. I LOVED that card for about a year until I realized that by cutting the two that were in my four-color deck, the deck would become MUCH better.

The second card I feel a special affinity for is the original Fallen Empires Orgg card. I identify with it in many different ways.

D

DarthFerret

Shoot, if we are talking about our first packs, mine was a Starter (Beta) that had the Forcefield, and Icy Manipulator, and a Pearl Mox (Betas had 3 rares in each Starter)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Icy Manipulator was rare in Beta? I'm glad they got toned down to uncommon in Ice Age :)

My first Magic cards was a Starter of Revised and I remember getting Sol Ring (not a rare) and Granite Gargoyle. I thought they were the coolest cards :)

Let's see... a card that has special meaning... well, though my favorite is also Manabarbs, a special card would be Serra Angel. Because when I first played, my friends and I played for ante and had a limited number of cards. And I started after my friends, so they had Alpha/Beta, Unlimited, and Arabian Nights. So I remember this Serra Angel kept bouncing between the group as for some reason it (or several) kept coming up for ante...

J

jorael

I loved War Mammoth because it was so cool with tricks like Giant Strenght... :\

Fissure was the best! 4th edition red had a lot of burn, but this card could take care of any creature targetable no matter how big its toughness.

I

Istanbul

Well, let's see now...

I adore Expunge. Always have, always will.
I collect Kezzerdrix. Last count was 119 of the little critters.
Quite fond of Verdant Force. I have a deck that can hard-cast it on turn 3.
Dauthi Marauder, one of the less popular shadow creatures, gets nasty in a hurry. Shadow + Firebreathing = gross.

D

DÛke

Unmask - for the art, for the name, and for what it does. There is no card more perfect in Magic, as far as I'm concerned.

Cateran Overlord - wow. I have never played him successfully, not that I tried, but I've sold almost all my cards and he is one of the few monsters I kept. There is something about the creature that I can't pin point - it's just enchanting to view...

Fact or Fiction - I remember how I drooled when I first saw it on the spoiler list. I had a deck (With Unmask, even) that makes use of both the graveyard and the hand, so it made the card such a win-win condition; the deck was near unstoppable in casual one-on-one due to is indifference to the opponent: it does what it wants to do and you die as the consquence, period. It's heart and soul were Careful Study and...of course Fact or Ficition.

D

DarthFerret

Almost forgot, any card by Quinton Hoover, or Larry Elmore, my two favorite Magic Artists...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
As far as favorites go, mine changes all the time. But I am partial to several cards...

Dark Ritual: I like having fast mana. Since this card has been so useful in almost every black deck I've ever made, I've grown particularly fond of it.

Sliver Queen: My introduction to the game was Portal I (which some people find odd, since they hate Portal so much). By the time I was learning how to play the real thing, the slivers were out. This huge creature impressed me a lot with her ability to make tokens without tapping. I still have my four Queens and they'll always be special to me.

Pursuit of Knowledge: One of my favorite enchantments, even though it kind of sucks. The premise of skipping three cards, only to draw seven is quite powerful. And it can save you from being decked.

Necropotence: This was one of black's ultimate weapons. Then Yawgmoth's Bargain partially replaced it, and then it became impossible to use four copies of Necropotence in any of the popular tournament formats. Nowadays, the only mentions of it are as an example of broken card-drawing or occasionally regarding its inclusion in some Vintage decks as a one-of. It can never return to its former glory, but anyone who used Necro decks extensively will know why I love this card.

Snowfall: I used to have at least 40 of these, and gave most of them away. Now I'm in the process of trying to acquire more again. The card has had some significance to me for some reason. It's such a parasite. Its function is to help pay for itself.

Fork: I don't use Fork for anything anymore really. But it seems like such great utility. It can copy your Fireblast or your opponent's Force of Will. It's one of the most versatile cards in the game. I admire versatility.

Eon Hub: I have never, ever used or even owned this card. I think it's incredibly cool though, and wish they'd sliced some mana off its cost.

Lim-Dul's Vault: It's both of my favorite colors. It's instant speed. It can find anything.

Groundskeeper: I didn't use him for a very long time, but when used with his buddy, Zuran Orb, he was so much fun.

Saprazzan Heir: Another one that I don't own. But I'm obsessed with the idea of cracking my opponent's skull with this weakling.

Academy Rector: It grabs an enchantment out of your library and puts it INTO PLAY. I never even particularly liked Pattern of Rebirth, but just using this creature was fun. Anybody want to attack me? Yeah, you might want to have some sort of evasion...

Cabal Therapy: I like this card simply because of what it did for my precious Academy Rector.

Nevinyrral's Disk: I have played my share of casual games, sometimes with large groups, but I am no expert on multiplayer. However, I do have a playset of Disks, which I am not afraid to use. It doesn't matter what color your deck is, the Disk will love you anyway. It doesn't matter if you happen to have a nice board position. The Disk can sit there, waiting to help you blow up the world. Every casual player with $10 or so to spare (they're about $2 around here, but I'm assuming that they're more elsewhere) should hunt down a playset of Disks.

Zur's Weirding: I like lockdowns.

E

evan d

Fyndhorn elf and Skyshroud claim(double natures lore as i like to call it) for me.

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

I've always been partial to Pandemonium and Rites of Initiation, even holding on to decks built around them for years..

A

Almindhra

Dark Ritual of course...

Sneak Attack....Oh how I love you...

Negator...I hardly know her!...

Drain Life...Why did those evil Wizards-types get rid of my black cards...Grr...