Is there still a storyline?

D

DarthFerret

Alright, I started reading the stories from the begining. Arena, Whispering Woods, and Shattered Chains. From there, I lost track of both the game and the storyline. I picked it back up from invasions, and from there found a more contiguous story than the first three conveyed. I am curious if there still is a storyline, is it contiguous, and how in the heck they fit Kamigawa into it. If anyone knows anything, please tell me.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Last I heard, they were still doing like a book for every set. They tend to be of lower quality than some of the older ones (like Arena), or at least that was the impression I received quite strongly from the newer books I read...

D

DarthFerret

In truth I agree, Arena was the best of the bunch as far as I am concerned, although i did enjoy Whisp. Woods and Shatt. Chains. I really got nothing much out of Invasions. Still the question remains, how did they fit Kamigawa into it, and why?

Killer Joe

I used to like to read the little 'booklets' that came with pre-cons. I felt as though I had an inkling of an idea of what was going on.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I read one novel, the one that you could send in (or came with) Nathalni (?) Dragon... (the "baby" Dragon Whelp)

D

DarthFerret

Thanks Spidey. That was a pretty interesting article. Still, it seems that the answer still dodged the actual question asked. I think they might have been feeling the pressure of the fairly recent "Anime Boom". This could be why they are putting an oriental flavor in magic. I am undecided on how I feel about this, as I do enjoy some anime, but still I wonder if Magic really had any place in this genre.

S

Senori

Lately, what they've been doing is somewhat unrelated block storylines, like Odyssey-Onslaught, Mirrodin, and Kamigawa (Odyssey-Onslaught being integrated through... Kamahl's sword, sorta, and Mirrodin being a bit of a continuation of that through the Mirari). Kamigawa is, as far as I can tell, seperated from any really large plot arch such as the Weatherlight Plot Arch (which spanned, what, 12 books?)

This isn't neccessarily a bad thing, as it allows for more variety and creativity (a lot of people complained about the Weatherlight plot line) but some view it as negative.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
Thanks Spidey. That was a pretty interesting article. Still, it seems that the answer still dodged the actual question asked.
Well, you didn't actually ask any questions in your original post. The title says "is there still a storyline?" but that's kind of vague...

Anyway, they seem to really like this whole moving from world to world deal so it will probably keep going for at least a while longer...

I sort of doubt we'll be seeing any story that lasts so long as the old one did, but maybe that's a good thing.

My issue with the "storyline" now is not that they killed the old one. That needed to be done. However, I had not even have imagined that they would kill it in such a horrible way (I mean, it was one bizarre story, and maybe there was no perfect conclusion, but the denoument we got just plain sucked).

So, I agree that it isn't necessarily a bad thing. It looks like it really does allow for more creativity and variety. Maybe after Kamigawa we'll start to see some...

D

DarthFerret

Oversoul, I meant that on that link, the answer that he gave did not seem to really answer the question that was asked. But now I will pose a question. In what horrible way was the old storyline killed? As I have stated, I really have not been able to follow it much.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's true, it didn't really answer the question, but you mentioned reading three novels in the original post and it sounded like you were trying to either "fit them in" or get the storyline based from them and the Ask Wizards was saying that those novels don't really fit in the "general" storyline ala Urza and Weatherlight and whatnot. So far, they're just stories "at a certain point" somewhere that don't fit in but take place in the Magic universe.

So I guess my basic point was not to take the storyline from those novels but from the novels where WOTC is saying the storyline comes from, if you want it to be fairly continuous.

D

DarthFerret

Ok, I was unaware. Did they ever publish anything from the War between Urza and Mishra? I would not mind reading into that some.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea but from the titles of the books in the list, The Brothers War is probably the best bet. Not sure of the ones that don't fit in the timeline.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
Oversoul, I meant that on that link, the answer that he gave did not seem to really answer the question that was asked. But now I will pose a question. In what horrible way was the old storyline killed? As I have stated, I really have not been able to follow it much.
If you REALLY want to know all about it, you could just read all three of the Invasion block's novels (which I did not do--I forget which one I didn't read and I think it was Planeshift, but they aren't good enough for me to want to read all of them). Or just the Apocalypse one could tell you about the end.

There are probably some better descriptions floating around on the internet, but I dug up this easily enough...

http://www.casualplayers.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-7337.html

D

DarthFerret

Thanks, it was an interesting read, but like you, not sure I could actually wade through all of the books. I am already having to face re-reading the Wheel of Time series by October so I am refreshed for the 11th book.