Xenophobia - a creature token themed set

N

NoShoes

Xenphobia is a creature token themed set which I recently designed. I consider it in a draft stage right now and have been looking for feedback all over the place (so my apologies if you've seen this on another fantasy card forum) in order to fix problems with it.

The full spoiler for Xenophobia can be found here

Xenophobia
The once great empire of humans is crumbling. Its borders have been worn away by the sieges of many dwarven berserkers, carrying undying fires from their mountain homes. Seeking to escape a plague that consumes them, the ashiri have fled south, but now they only find themselves living in a wasteland, where demons whisper in the darkness and the grey death continues to take lives. As races desperately vie for control in this dying world, old enmities come to the surface. The kiri and their allies under the waves are ever watchful of their enemies and the long-peaceful usari grow defensive and violent as they see the earth being tortured. The old alliances are dead and everyone is preparing for the coming bloodshed. In a time of hopelessness, every man, every bird, every lizard, every dwarf, and every troll must fight. The xenophobia is too great- it is a time of armies, not heroes.

Featured Cards
(some names here have been updated from the spoiler)

Crusader's Speed
2W, Instant, Common
Up to three target creatures gain first strike until end of turn.
Boon [2] ( 2, Remove this card from your graveyard from the game: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.)

Imperial Ambush
4W, Instant, Uncommon
Choose one-- Put four 1/1 white Human Soldier creature tokens into play; or remove target attacking creature from the game.

Secret of Blinding
3W, Enchant Creature, Uncommon
You may play this any time you could play an instant.
Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to an opponent, that player skips his or her next combat phase.

Angelic Fury
3WWW, Sorcery, Rare
Choose one-- Put two 4/4 white Angel creature tokens with flying into play; or destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated.

Kiri Distractions
1UU, Instant, Common
Choose one-- Put two 1/1 blue Bird Wizard creature tokens with flying into play; or counter target spell unless its controller pays 3.

Ritual of Submission
5U, Sorcery, Uncommon
Ritual (If you control an island, you may tap six untapped creatures you control instead of paying this card's mana cost.)
Gain control of target creature. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)

Defenders of Secrets
2UU, Enchantment, Rare
Whenever an opponent draws a card, put a 1/1 blue Bird Wizard creature token with flying into play.

Seaform Vanguard
3UUU, Enchantment, Rare
You may remove an island card and another card in your hand from the game instead of paying this card's mana cost.
Creatures you control can't be the target of spells or abilities controlled by an opponent.

Flesh Storm
BB, Instant, Common
As an additional cost to play Flesh Storm, sacrifice X creatures.
Target player loses X life and you gain X life.

Sufferers' Harvest
B, Instant, Common
As an additional cost to play Sufferers' Harvest, pay X life. X can't be greater than the number of creatures you control.
Add X to your mana pool.

Necromantic Overseer
2BB, Creature - Lizard Shaman 3/3, Uncommon
Tap four untapped creatures you control: Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.

Demon's Mirror
B, Sorcery, Rare
Target opponent discards a card.
You may search your library, reveal a card with the same name as the discarded one, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Preying on the Weak
2B, Enchantment, Rare
At the beginning of your upkeep, if an opponent has no cards in his or her hand, put a 2/2 black Lizard Warrior creature token into play.

Dwarven Fury
1RR, Instant, Common
Up to three target creatures get +2/+0 until end of turn.
Boon [2] ( 2, Remove this card from your graveyard from the game: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.)

Ritual of the Flaming River
XR, Sorcery, Common
Ritual (If you control a mountain, you may tap X+1 untapped creatures you control instead of paying this card's mana cost.)
Ritual of the Flaming River deals X damage to target creature or player.

Dwarven Identity Charms
3R, Sorcery, Uncommon
Choose one-- Put two 2/1 red Dwarf Barbarian creature tokens with haste into play; or untap target creature an opponent controls and gain control of it until end of turn. That creature gains haste until end of turn.

Berserkers' Melee
3RR, Instant, Rare
Creatures you control gain provoke until end of turn.

Ritual of Oak's Strength
2G, Instant, Common
Ritual (If you control a forest, you may tap three untapped creatures you control instead of paying this card's mana cost.)
Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn.

Usari Remembering
3GG, Sorcery, Uncommon
Choose one-- Put two 3/3 green Troll Druid creature tokens into play; or return a card from your graveyard to your hand.

Oak Idol
4GG, Legendary Creature - Idol 4/4, Rare
Tap an untapped creature you control: Put a worship counter on Oak Idol.
If Oak Idol has at least 10 worship counters, it gets +8/+8 and has trample.
Remove 5 worship counters from Oak Idol: Target creature gets +5/+5 until end of turn.

Altar of the Future
5, Artifact, Rare
T, Sacrifice a creature: Search target player's library for one card and remove it from the game. Then that player shuffles his or her library.

Fertile Marshland
Land, Common
Fertile Marshland comes into play tapped.
T: Add B to your mana pool.
1, T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Lap of Mother Mountain
Legendary Land, Rare
When Lap of Mother Mountain comes into play, sacrifice a land.
T: Add R to your mana pool.
2RR, T, Discard a card from your hand: Put two 2/1 red Dwarf Barbarian creature tokens with haste into play.

F

Force of Will Smith

Man.. you pretty much have everything mapped out except for pictures..

You have a lot of cool cards like coral weirding that grabbed my interest..

Boon mechanic is sweet.. ritual is ok but it makes it so you have to tap 3 creatures... which would primarily benefit white or red, and green only if youre playing elves.

The choice spells are pretty cool too..
You even put some vanilla-themed creatures to fill some slots..

I'm impressed.

if you're looking for some art images.. i found a new site www.epilogue.net
its amazing and only has good artists.. unlike elfwood..

oh btw.. side note.. 99.99999% of the cards names sounded cool or "genuine" to wizards.. also very tough to do.

N

NoShoes

All I have to say is I'm glad to see dwarfs as the representative for red
I've never been a huge fan of magic goblins with the recent exception of the Akki. Dwarves deserve more time in the spotlight.

you pretty much have everything mapped out except for pictures..
A number of tweaks will be occuring in the set soon and a couple cards will be replaced. Hopefully artwork will accompany the update (so thanks for website).

coral weirding that grabbed my interest..
I don't know why I haven't been including Coral Weirding when I feature cards. It's one of my favorites.

99.99999% of the cards names sounded cool or "genuine" to wizards
That's certainly higher than what I thought (mainly I don't like the current OR card names). Which would be the remaining fraction of a percent? And any suggestions for them?

Thanks so much for the kind words.

F

Force of Will Smith

No problem..
why not praise for creativity and coolness? :D

Oh btw on the website.. its not oon the opening page.. but if you go under art, fantasy art.. toward the left side you can search for images. Sometimes it helps.. but it goes on what people title the piece.. so a picture of goblins might be "rakhnorg" and wouldnt show in results.