Fake Card: Shivan Serpent; Too cheesy??

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
J

jorael

The card is already good enough without the returning ability, which isn't very red I think.

L

Limited

Return to your hand when you lose the flip!
Actually, the returning makes the card worse; if it survives combat (or you have found some way to give it first strike) you have to return it to your hand. If you used mana to boost its power, you probably can't even play it.

F

Force of Will Smith

There's no coin flipping on this card... which is really wierd you say that cause i am working on the 6 armed temple guardian which would go along with what you said... hmmrm... you been browsing my computer again huh?

bouncing your own creatures is totally a red ability... thinking back to the
viashino cutthroat, viashino sandswimmer, and the cards where if you flip incorrectly they bounce to your hand...

i was also thinking about the striking of a snake.,..

mabe i could make it so you can play as an instant...

L

Limited

Who me?

I think bouncing it is a red ability, but it should involve the flipping of a coin.
Moreover, he has only one power so he is never going to survive combat without help. I would make it something like: "Whenever ~this becomes blocked, flip a coin. If you win the flip, destroy the blocking creature. If you lose the flip, return ~this to owner's hand"
This seems more of a red kinda card..

F

Force of Will Smith

True.. with the wording i did make it so he's a 3/1.. ehh.. i guess it makes it fair.. he originally was meant to jump in... get big... kill an attacker and bounce back... which is a little cheesy..

F

Force of Will Smith

I didnt realize it.. but this is sort of a tribute to the first deck i ever played against..

it was around mirage block/5th edition..

it had like

4 Shivan Dragon
4 Ball Lightning
4 Viashino Sandstalker
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Incinerate
4 Thunderbolt

2 Urborg Stalker
4 Terror
4 Fallen Askari
4 Sengir Vampire
2 Fallen Angel

so i guess this would bridge the gap between the viashino and the dragon..
sorta

E

evan d

Isnt the serpent/basilisk ability green?

I like the card though.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Now that you mention it, yeah. Maybe it should be a gold card with a G in the casting cost, replacing one of the Rs...

C

Cardatog

How about dropping the Pump ability for RR and letting the serpent be played any time you could play an instant?

With a 1 toughness, it's going to get smoked as a from-hand blocker, but a great creature removal card! With the RR2 casting cost, that's still fair.

E

evan d

heres my thought:

If it had the vaishino return to hand at end of turn, would that make it more like the serpent is striking out and biting and then it recoils to do it again?

F

Force of Will Smith

its funny u say that cause that was the original idea...

it pops in, strikes, and leaves...
hmm well..

Yeah i could drop the pumpability cause it's kind of needless unless he's unblocked..

Shivan Serpent 2RR 1/3
Haste
Shivan Serpent may be played as an instant.
Whenever Shivan Serpent deals combat damage to a creature,
destroy that creature at end of combat and return shivan serpent to owner's
hand

with all the viashino, they have good offense.. this guy serves only to kill creatures... kind of like a red terror for 2RR... if you wanted to however, you could attack with him.. maybe i could even drop his cost to 1RR if i made him weaker.. If i made him too inexpensive then he shouldnt bounce back and he'd be like a bland bone-shredder for red..

I think i gave him the firebreathing because of the association with shivan dragon.. but after looking through all the shivan creatures... there are plenty without that ability.

snakes range in p/t from 1/1 to 3/3 excluding the new beefy snakes from betrayers..

D

DarthFerret

In response to the gold card idea, let me put this one forth to you to be shot down or appreciated; disected or desecrated!

Shivan Serpent 2RG 1/3
Haste
RR: +1/+0
GG: If Shivan Serpent damages an opponent, opponent gets a poison counter. If opponent ever has ten or more poison counters, opponent loses game.
Return Shivan Serpent to owners hand at end of turn.

Combines the typical Shivan ability with a green serpents poison counter ability.

Maybe it is too cheesy, but what the heck, why not?

F

Force of Will Smith

hmmm.....sweet idea..
Since he doesnt kill creatures outright, his cost is entirely too much and he could me much tougher, and his poison ability should be free..
cause then bouncing becomes a detriment.

sooooo maybe.,

Shivan Serpent 2RG 1/3
Haste/First Strike
R: +1/+0
G: +0/+1
If Shivan Serpent damages an opponent, opponent gets a poison counter.
OR

First Strike
RG:+1/+0 since customizable first strike is amazing.
poison ability

this way he seems alittle over costed.. but he has good def... can get bigger.. and he's pumpable

sweet idea.. a shivan naf's asp!!

D

DarthFerret

Glad you liked it. I know it took you in a different direction than what you originally had, but I am happy to have helped. I like the first one, btw. I love a pumpable toughness. And with the First Strike, and the Haste. Makes for a good creature, possibly a rare, but not broken.

F

Force of Will Smith

here's a thought.. how about this variant..
its only RG.. but its a 1/2 with first strike
and to pump him it costs RG.. so its a little steep.. that and he can be killed
with burn easy, as a real snake could..
since most every snake that gives poison you can do something cheesy with say fire whip, or hermetic study.. from changing it to 1-2 poison counters.. im also going to make it so it has to be unblocked.. that way you actually get rewarded for first-striking or burning creatures out of the way... instead of
being a punk and pinging them to death..

RG Snake 1/2
RG:+1/+0 until end of turn.
If [This] deals combat damage to an opponent, they get 2 poison counters..

Man, if i had easy access to my computer at home i'd have posted some revisions by now...ah well

E

evan d

My favorite version so far...
"""""""Shivan Serpent 2RG 1/3
Haste/First Strike
R: +1/+0
G: +0/+1
If Shivan Serpent damages an opponent, opponent gets a poison counter."""""""

Wasnt the point fo it being green is so that it could basilisk?

At this form is it even good enough to be played commonly by people?

Who plays a creature in a green thats 2 or less mana that dosnt make mana or another effect?

4 is a good cost for power levels. Two mana seems weak. Lots of power comes at 4 mana (wrat, sisay, might)