Show and Tell

S

Striking Dragon

Show and Tell seems like a fundementally bad card, you spend a hefty 2U and a card so that you and your opponent can both put the best permanent they have into play; the best permanent your opponent can muster *gasp*! Well, my opponents don't seem to be playing too many silver bullets, well one's that are creatures/enchantments/artifacts anyway. In this situation show and tell can be freaking amazing, especially with the bad boy known as Darksteel Collossus. So here's the start:

4 Darksteel Collossus
2 Morphling
4 Show and Tell

Now add some consistancy

4 Mystical Tutor
4 Merchant Scroll
2 Lim-dul's vault
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor

Draw!
4 Brainstorm
4 Impulse

Can't let them keep their threats can we?
4 Boomerang
4 Echoing Truth

M4N4
4 Dark Ritual
4 Polluted Delta
4 Underground Sea
4 City of Brass
4 Island
4 Crystal Vein

Have I gone mad? or is this sort of good?

I may make a multiplayer urzatron deck with the show splashed in later.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Striking Dragon said:
Show and Tell seems like a fundementally bad card, you spend a hefty 2U and a card so that you and your opponent can both put the best permanent they have into play; the best permanent your opponent can muster *gasp*!
I think most people have tried to avoid that kind of logic ever since InQuest famously applied it to Dream Halls...

What was it they said? Something like, if you pitch Llanowar Elves to play Verdant Force, your opponent will just do the same?

F

f-6

Well, there are two points on this argument. First, how good is their best card compared to my best card (and can they keep it in play) and second, will they have killed me before I "go off" plus the two turns it takes for the Collossus to kill them.

I would actually drop the Morphlings I think. Since you are going for some form of speedy combo kill you will not have enough mana to do any relevant Morphling tricks really. Options to put in... Evacuation is too pricy, but what about Wash out or perhaps Wall of tears or Man-o-war if up against creature-heavy enviorment? Propaganda?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
f-6 said:
Well, there are two points on this argument. First, how good is their best card compared to my best card (and can they keep it in play) and second, will they have killed me before I "go off" plus the two turns it takes for the Collossus to kill them.
If you pick a permanent that will have them dead before they get a turn, most opponents won't benefit from Show and Tell at all. Of course, an 11/11 isn't going to do that...

F

f-6

If you pick a permanent that will have them dead before they get a turn, most opponents won't benefit from Show and Tell at all.
True, but what card will?

S

Striking Dragon

The morphling was supposed to be to combat decks with targeted non damaging removal, like StP, Pacifism, and Control Magic.

Phage could possibly do it, need something like shadow rift to get her through...

F

f-6

Well, if you Show and tell Phage into play you need Stifle or you will lose the game...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
f-6 said:
True, but what card will?
No card will by itself. Certain cards will do it if the rest of the deck has synergy with them (Yawgmoth's Bargain comes to mind, although it would probably be easier to Dark Ritual that into play).

Show and Tell decks I've seen don't rely on necessarily killing the opponent right after casting Show and Tell, so much as they can deal with whatever the opponent can drop from the Show and Tell (Boomerang is good for this) and take advantage of being able to play highly costed permanents without having all the mana they would normally take...

F

f-6

@oversoul: Well, that is essentially what Striking dragons deck does. The Collossus will kill the opponent within a couple of turns.

@Striking dragon: Well, the deck idea with Phage is not so good, but your original deck idea still seems nice to me. It will lose to most of the tier one extended decks though. You could add Isochron scepter and Chrome moxes for lock style imprinting Boomerang. Another option may be to add Eye of nowhere to try to break there tempo by bouncing lands as much as possible. There are many ways to go. But if it was really good one of the pros would have found it allready! :D

T

train

My question on the original deck list is, what if your critters get dealt with, what is your alternate kill...

"Always have an alternate..."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Morphling is untargetable (if you have the blue mana necessary to keep it that way, which you do). Darksteel Collossus is indestructable. I guess they can play Evacuation or something, but then you can always drop Morphling again...

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Striking Dragon said:
Show and Tell seems like a fundementally bad card
Isn't SaT a sideboard card for reanimator decks? If you want to make a deck with it, that sounds a good way to go. With SaT "backup" you can get by any graveyard hate. The threat count should go up though. Try gilded drake or similar effects.

In the end it's about the same as trying to get hunted wumpus or tempting wurm to work.

F

Force of Will Smith

slightly different.. tempting wurm gives you numerous obstacles to overcome. and the wumpus kicks ass..

Its a good idea for a deck

if you want to create some mayhem try using some card denial like
Zur's Wierding or wand of denial+telepathy.. but lets just keep it simple..

colossus is gold..
mystical tutor is good as well.. and merchant scroll is good if show and tell is a sorcery.

A deck with a slight bit of counter magic.
board sweepers
bounce
and your fatty combo
would work very nice..

picture this.. your opponent lays out a leonin.. you lay a land
he tosses out another, you wait a couple turns..
all of a sudden he can deal a sweet 17 damage if unblocked..

during your last turn, you played a spire golem for 1, leaving you 2 slots for echoing bounce. Say you attack for 2 which he takes, laughing that hes gonna kill you. during his turn, you return 2 islands to cast a free ensnare.. nothing happens..

then its your turn.. cast reins of power and attack for the kill.

Bounce decks are good no matter what.. a creature bounce usually means a turn or 2 was wasted if it was big enough.. and when you bounce a couple creatures, opponents think you always have an answer--or they become machines and just do the same thing over again, avoiding any strategy simply because youre aggravating them..

so yes..
I'd recommend

Counterspell
Mana Leak
Spire Golem
Echoing Truth
Boomerang/Undo

Show and Tell
Xfatty that is potentially castable
Xfatty that is potentially castable
Mystical tutor

Ensnare
Wash Out
Evacuation
Reins of Power

if you put too many tutors in the deck, it wont be any fun at all..
and if someone has countermagic, you're screwed.

S

Striking Dragon

Remix#1

4 Darksteel Collossus
4 Show and Tell
1 Tinker

4 Mystical Tutor
4 Merchant Scroll
2 Lim-dul's vault
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor

4 Brainstorm
4 Impulse

4 Echoing Truth

4 Force of Will
4 Misdirection

4 Dark Ritual
4 Polluted Delta
4 Underground Sea
4 City of Brass
4 Seat of Synod
2 Vault of Whispers
2 Crystal Vein

FoW/Mis-D should be enough to keep the collossus alive long enough to do his dirty work.

F

Force of Will Smith

it might work, ive found that it's not usually very fun to play a deck with only 9 cards to let you win. Plus counters destroy decks like that..
Otherwise you have like 4-5 turns and then its game.

I have a Hanna deck ive been working with that has 2-3 ways to get infinite turns but its all tutors, funny the first time but people destroy all my not so threating threats after they see what happens.