Genju of the Spires deck--Multiplayer advice wanted

• Thread starter TheCasualOblivion
  • Start date
T

TheCasualOblivion

This is a deck I just threw together. It started out just as a deck I could play Jokulhaups in, but kind of grew from there. I pretty much built this as a two player deck, but I'm kind of curious if it is capable of more than that.

I have three questions for the board:

1. I have a feeling this deck is a little too cruel for casual play. This deck has a fairly antisocial attitude, which isn't exactly how I like to play. I mostly play against new/bad/multiplayer players, and I have a feeling this deck is a little too cruel for them. Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. How do you guys think this would fare in multiplayer? Its largely based on mass kill, and I have a feeling this deck could do well in multiplayer.

3. Any other suggestions? I know Rukh Egg should be in here for sure, but I don't have any at the moment.

The deck:

Creatures---(12)

4 Viashino Sanscout
3 Dragon Whelp
3 Roc of Kher Ridges
2 Orgg

Spells---(23)
4 Genju of the Spires
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Fire/Ice
2 Incinerate
4 Pyroclasm
4 Flamebreak
3 Jokulhaups

Land---(25)
4 Mishra's Factory
21 Mountains

R

Reverend Love

Toss in cards to play around it. Like Earthquake, Inferno and other big booms spells.

M

Mikeymike

If Haups is the lynchpin of the deck, I feel like you want a tad more enchantments in here that survive the Haups. Keep in mind that although you get your Genju back, they can't be used for at least another two turns after the Haups.

Would you consider Eladamri's Vineyard? It does help your opponents (which might lessen the "anti-social" aspect of Haups), but it also survives the Haups and allows you to activate your Genju on the next turn.

Some green would also allow you to maindeck a little enchantment hate just in case something nasty is left behind from your opponents.

T

TheCasualOblivion

Haups really isn't the lynchpin of the deck anymore I've found. Its just a card that wipes the board and tends to affect my deck less than my opponents. The keys to the deck are flamebreak and pyroclasm.

C

Crackdown

The race to 7 is going to be interesting.

In our multiplayer, someone is always resetting to 7. Your deck isn't really that cruel, no more so than a White Heat deck with Akroma's Vengence or other board reset. Unless I'm missing something . . .

T

Troll

I used to play a multi-player deck based on the 'Haups which had Penumbra creatures, the creatures that leave a number of 1/1 saps = its power and Ruhk Egg. Hope this helps.

T

TheCasualOblivion

Jokulhaups isn't really the deck anymore. Its more of a Genju/Mishra's Factory deck with Flamebreak and Pyroclasm. Jokulhaups still works decent since the deck plays 25 land and has a few cards that evade Jokulhaups somewhat such as the Genju and the Viashino. Jokulhaups is to turn the tide when the deck starts to go wrong instead of the focus of the deck, especially if I can stall a few turns and entice them to put more into play before I hit the nuke button.

That being said, I think Rukh Egg would be great in this deck, and I'm considering getting some.

D

DarthFerret

With the amount of mana you have in the deck, would it be a bad thing to put in a couple of beat down creatures. Possible Shivan Dragons or such ilk?

T

TheCasualOblivion

I think you have a point. For true multiplayer, this deck should have Shivan Dragons or the like. The deck really doesn't have any means for dealing with the really big fatties aside from Jokulhaups. The simplest way to deal with that in this deck is to pack my own fatties. I kind of capped my big hitters at 4cc with the Roc and the Whelp for being easier to cast after Jokulhaups. I'm not sure if those are enough, or if the big ones would help. I need to play the deck more.