Mono Black Control

S

Striking Dragon

Hello all, I'm trying to throw together a mbc deck that will basically face random aggro, and a few aggro-control decks errr blue. This is what I came up with in 5 minutes, looking for help to mod it:

4 Hymn
4 Duress
2 Distress

4 Mutilate
4 Bane of the living
4 Barter in Blood
4 Infest
4 Rend Flesh/Smother/Diabolic edict

3 Greater Harvester/Grinning Demon/Visara
3 Genju of the fens

4 Dark Ritual
18 Swamp
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Volrath's Stronghold

The main problem I see is that my opponent's creature control will be focused on my limited amount of creatures, hopefully running the genju and volrath's stronghold I'll be able to slip around most of it. The worst possible scenario is having a Harverster control magic'd and have it slam me before I can barter (counterspells would be a problem in that case too)

Any help greatly appreciated.

M

Mikeymike

+1 Coffers
+1 Swamp

You need a bit more mana (if not another 2 Swamps on top of this), including the Coffers explosiveness.

Do you have Demonic Tutor to run?

I'm not sure about Genju of the Fens as creature kill, but its a new card so I can dig it.

You need some card drawing in here as well. You can go with pure card draw (Necro, or artifact card draw that doesn't cost life), and then you can also combine some creature kill with card draw - Decree of Pain or Dregs of Sorrow maybe.

Also, I'd drop (or split) some of the 4CC sweepers for a few Nevinnyral's Disks for the art/ench kill.

Lastly, if you know you'll be running into counterspell, you could also try to supplant them with Mirari or Bosium Strip.

J

jorael

I'd drop the infests. Seems to me you pack enough mass removal already. That way you could make space for more mana-sources.

Cards in mbc I like to use occasionally: undead gladiator, twisted abomination, wayfarer's bauble, visara/avatar of woe, corrupt, consume spirit (great with the coffers!).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Some cards that might be really awesome if you can get them/fit them in...

Necropotence
Mind Twist
Demonic Tutor
Hypnotic Specter
Nevinyrral's Disk
Spinning Darkness
Contagion
Masticore
Lake of the Dead
Corrupt/Drain Life/that new version of Drain Life, the name of which escapes me.

I'm not sure exactly what route you want to take here. There are sundry ways to make monoblack work...

S

Striking Dragon

Ok, sorry, haven't had much time to reply, is this a little better?

4 Hymn
4 Duress

4 Mutilate
4 Bane of the living
4 Barter in Blood
2 Rend Flesh
2 Diabolic edict

1 Mirari
1 Demonic Tutor
4 Phyrexian Arena

3 Greater Harvester/Grinning Demon/Visara
2 Genju of the Fens

4 Dark Ritual
20 Swamp
2 Cabal Coffers
1 Volrath's Stronghold

I was thinking Phage might be playable in here, maybe I'm just thinking crazy thought....

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You seem to be using a lot of creature kill. I know you said aggro and aggro-control, but do you really hate creatures that much? Also, I am not sure about Bane of the Living (I've never played with or against it, but it just doesn't look very good)...

You are using a single Demonic Tutor, which leads me to believe that you are either using the Type I restricted list for a deck that has no business with Type I at all (like Spidey and apparently a lot of people) or that you don't have any restrictions at all (but only happen to have one Demonic Tutor). In either case, you should consider Necropotence (WAY better than Phyrexian Arena), Mind Twist (great discard), and Yawgmoth's Bargain (even better than Necropotence, but expensive to cast, which shouldn't be a problem for your deck).

I am not sure how well the Coffers run in your deck, but I must point out that Lake of the Dead can provide a better mana boost early on (but has other drawbacks) in the game.

Genju of the Fens looks pretty much inferior to Nantuko Shade or even Looming Shade.

Nevinyrral's Disk is very good. Oh, and why Mirari anyway?