White Flyers - Almost T2, Extended

C

Crackdown

I've been tinkering with a White Deck that I originally built to deal with my son's elf deck. Now I want to tune it a bit more. I don't expect to win any tournaments with it, in fact, I don't play in tournaments. This is just a casual play deck that might see some T2 or extended action at a local card shop from time to time.

Angel White Cake

4 Lantern Kami/Suntail Hawk
4 Leonin Skyhunter
4 Leonin Den-Guard
4 Mother of Runes (she's really a homemaker, just look at her)
4 Blinding Angel
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 Radiant, Archangel
1 Reya Dawnbringer

4 Whispersilk Cloak
4 Final Judgment (or 3FJ/1 Catastrophe; 2 Wrath of God, 2 FJ, etc.)
4 Glorious Anthem
4 Umezawa Jitte

21 Plains

In one build I substituted 4 Skyhunter Skirmisher for the Leonin Den-Guard. Echantment and artifact removal could be added as needed I suppose. Samurai of the Pale Curtain and Yosei are additional possibilities, as is a Bushi Tenderfoot. The Reya and Akroma are a tad slow, but they are fun cards.

Others: Arrest, Cage of Hands, Heart of Light . . .

What say you all?

J

jorael

Cool. Looks like fun bashing!

Whispersilk Cloak looks a bit passive in contrast with the rest of the deck. Why not something like the B/W or R/U swords or just traditional bonesplitter? It might be a lock with Blinding Angel, but that are only 4 creatures in the deck...

I'd try different types of equipment. Maybe 4 Jitte's are required because they get removed a lot, but if you keep getting several at the same time, the legendary thing will be a bit unfortunate. Perhaps you could drop one.

F

f-6

Might as well cut Reya and Akroma. It will take FOREVER for this deck to get to nine mana. Also, a plains or two more might be a good idea. Wrath is a better choise unless you go up against Tooth and Nail a lot.

C

Crackdown

Lots of playing, mostly casual, and some changes:

Plains - 22

Creatures - 22
4x Lantern Kami
4x Leonin Skyhunter
4x Skyhunter Skirmisher
4x Blinding Angel
4x Leonin Den-Guard
2x Pristine Angel

Spells - 16

3x Wrath of God
1x Final Judgment
4x Glorious Anthem
4x Arrest

Equipment - 4 (Possible additions in place of Skirmisher)

3x Umezawa's Jitte
1x Lightning Greaves

One concern I have with this build is the lack of cheap spells to use to untap the Pristine Angel should it be necessary to call upon her. She isn't really a necessary win alternative, but has come in handy. The Lightning Greaves on the BA does indeed work well, and the thought is that it might be worth having more of them or even some Bonespitters or Loxodon Warhammers.

What do you think? Is the Pristine Angel just another pretty face?

M

Mikeymike

Do you have any Exalted Angels you can run in place of the Pristine Angels? Their more aggressive nature seems a better fit in here.

Also, if you do want to stick with the Pristine, Shelter is a great card to team up with it, since it gives you two largely invulnerable blockers in a very sneaky manner. Other quality instants include Swords to Plowshares, Exile, Awe Strike, and Test of Faith.

I was just about to suggest the Warhammer. Another great help would be Mask of Memory, since it is low-costing and provides card-advantage which you currently lack.

Also, I would consider any kind of artifact-based mana acceleration. The deck is fairly aggressive, so speeding up your bigguns by a turn or two would come in handy.

C

Crackdown

Thanks, Mikey. I indeed have Exalted Angels and they were in the deck during a few testings, but kept getting shocked while face down. Because I don't have any other morphed cards, the opponents knew what was there and blasted it! Also, I wanted to change it from Extended (casual) to a Standard deck. MoR also came out.

I would so like mana acceleration. Check my cards for trade. I'd like a playset of Chrome Mox and Birds of Paradise please. :) I have this foil Masticore and a Morphling . . .

What other forms of mana acceleration would be available to this deck?

If I include the Warhammer, how many would you run and what comes out? I really like three equipment cards in this deck: Lightning Greaves for the BA, Warhammers for everything that attacks and the Jitte because it's awesome. But something has to give. The Jitte and a double strike flyer would be so nice, but 60 cards is going to be the max (maybe 61).

M

Mikeymike

No sweat dude.

I understand the desire to stay Type 2.

Regarding trades, I unfortunately can't help on the Chrome Mox (don't own any) or Birds (run them in 3 or 4 decks). But for Type 2 mana acceleration some stuff that could help might be...
Extraplanar Lens
Guardian Idol (I really like this one)
Star Compass (Just as good as the Mirage Diamonds, very good for two-color decks)
Any of the Mirrodin W-Talismans

AEther Vial could be useful as well, and would be an alternative to artifact mana.

For the Warhammers, I'm not sure what number would be correct, but I likely wouldn't start with more than two. While a great card, they are very mana intensive and too many could screw up your curve. See if you can afford it first.

J

jorael

If you want to you could add more morphs. Whipcorder is an excellent choice for white weenie.

C

Crackdown

jorael said:
If you want to you could add more morphs. Whipcorder is an excellent choice for white weenie.
I guess the problem I'm having with this deck is that I haven't decided if it is White Weenie T2 or White Control T2. I see elements of both in it and that's probably the main weakness.

I'm more of a aggro-control type player in general as I enjoy U/W decks and would splash blue here if I could figure out how to use it in the mana curve. However, if I were headed towards White Weenie, the Whipcorders would be in (probably Chrome Mox also ... have to buy those .... ouch) while the Wraths and Arrests would be out and 8-1/2 Tails would be in. I still like the BAs, but Yosei would be a possibility as well, especially with the legend rule causing a ten taps and two untap steps missed.

The more I think about it, the more I'd have to say that the problem lies with having divided ambitions for the deck. So, I'm going to go over two choices at hand:

White Weenie Standard

1 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
4 Lantern Kami
4 Kami of Ancient Law
4 Samurai of the Pale Curtain
4 Leonin Skyhunter
2 Eight-and-a-Half Tails
4 Blinding Angel
3 Savannah Lions

4 Glorious Anthem
2 Konda's Banner
4 Reciprocate (or 4 Wraths for resets)
4 Shining Shoal

20 Plains

I'm not quite sure Konda's Banner applies here and the BA takes 5 mana, so 20 Plains may be a little light. I'd probably replace the KB's with 2 more Plains. The deck has no artifact removal and only Kami of Ancient Law to deal with enchantments. OTOH, it has 8-1/2 for protection. I don't often play against artifact decks, so I'm not quite sure how this would work.

White Angel Beating

4 Savannah Lions
4 Samurai of the Pale Curtain
4 Leonin Skyhunter
4 Blinding Angel
2 Pristine Angel
2 Yosei, the Morning Star
2 Skyhunter Skirmisher

2 Wrath of God
2 Final Judgment
4 Glorious Anthem
4 Reciprocate

2 Umezawa Jitte
2 Loxodon Warhammer

22 Plains

I like the combination of Angel beats with some control and early creatures. The Jitte will be a target, but if it manages even one turn with two counters, it could be a winner. The Warhammer could easily be replaced by a Bonesplitter, Lightning Greaves or Whispersilk Cloak. Again, no enchantment or artifact removal in main deck.

The mana curve tops out at 6 and I'm a little concerned about protecting the Pristine Angels should they be called upon to attack. A Lightning Greaves would work, but so would Otherworldly Journey.