Paralyze shot down! UNFAIR! Repeal!Repeal!

T

theorgg

anyone notice that the paralyze/ley druid(or priest of tit) combo doesn't work?

I think we should try to do somthing about this. the combo wasn't that good, but it was a good casual deck.

TO THE VOTING BOOTH!

-theorgg
I'm bigger than I think, I think.

C

CthulhuDragon

And what exactly are we going to do about it? When the waylay errata came out we bitched and moaned, but there was nothing that could be done. When changes like this happen, the best thing to do is to accept and move on. Rather than complain about errata it would be far better to encourage R&D to build solid cards from the beginning. Sometimes cards wordings make it possible to use cards in ways that they were not designed for. Its simply the way of life, things like this happen. Get over it.

Ferret

Staff member
I finally got a look at the wording and I have to say I'm pretty pleased. I don't like cards that can be abused for endless combos - that's not the way the game was meant to be played - even if it was designed by a mathemetician.

I know it'll be impossible for R&D to come up w/ cards that cannot be abused, but at least they're trying to undo previous mistakes before they make it hard on the rest of us...

-ferret

"...and as Casual Players we don't have to follow those rules..."

D

Dune Echo

Hey, looking at the flaming the DCI is getting for the late announcement gives me the idea that this is the perfect time to promote us and casual play.

Baron: How's the letter coming?

Z

Zadok001

Dune is correct. Right now will probably be the last time for quite a while the Pros will be as pissed off as the casuals, which means now is the only time both can be heard with a united voice. If we scream and yell right next to the pros, we have a much better chance of being heard. And by working WITH the pros this once, we will, by relation, be considered worth listening to.

My grasp of human nature may be slightly flawed here, but I really think this is a rare chance to get moving.

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic
CPA Member
"We have more sprouts than they have hands."

C

CthulhuDragon

That is a valid point Zadok001, but at the same time do we want to present ourselves as a group that only complains and whines? Is that how we want people to initially see us? I personally would rather see us as a group who points out what is still fun in magic and how we make it fun in our own groups.

Rather than join the crowd, shouldn't we stand out? Too many people complain about how stale magic is, and how the bannings and errata are unfair. I don't know about you, but I am still having a blast playing magic. Just tonight I played for 5 straight hours, and loved every minute of it. Forget the Dojo decks and the pro-tour metagame, this was just good old fashioned creatures and 70-80 card decks.

We may get more members by associating with the pros, but are those the members that we necessarily want? By standing apart with our different message, we will probably get fewer people, but the quality will be higher.

Just my 2 cents.
Cthulhu Dragon
-=UDIC=-
CPA

Ferret

Staff member
I have to agree w/ CthulhuDragon. I think the view we should present is play the way we want to - if the DCI/R&D/WotC wants to change the cards every couple of weeks why should we care? Most of us don't play in sanctionned events so the decision only affect us if we let them affect us. Most Casual groups have their own House Rules and restricted lists. In all the time I played the only cards we didn't allow were ante cards because we don't play for ante. Since there hasn't been an ante card printed in a couple of years people in my group could use any card they want. If a card becomes abused we can come to a mutual decision to restrict it. This way the game remains fun for everyone...

-ferret

"...too bad my group is on hiatus right now..."

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Zadok001 and Dune Echo, in that this is probably the best time to make our feelings known to WotC about the way they change this game.

Let's be honest. Considering the way WotC has been ignoring our segment of their market for so long now, so they could concentrate on the pros and the newbies, do you guys really think they'll take us seriously at first if the pros disagree with us, or even if they just don't care? I'm not sure that they will.

Guys, I thought we joined up here because we didn't like the direction this game was going. If that means we seem to complain a lot, it's because things haven't gotten any better yet. From what I can tell, WotC still doesn't care what we think of what they're doing to this great game.

In fact, with the way the info network seems to have broken down over the Oracle thing, I'd say someone is asleep at the switch over there big time.

I think we oughta' wake 'em up!

TomB
CPA Member

"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref tutor

D

Dune Echo

Hey, The Orgg! I found a replacement card for you! All you have to do is have a combination of Gaea's Cradle, Tolarian Academy, Rofellos/Priest of Titania, Ley Druid, and/or High Tide. Interested yet, ye casual gamers out there? The replacement card for Paralyze in this kind of combination is simple. It's an early version of Mind Over Matter that appeared in Weatherlight. Any guesses? Here's a hint: I know you don't care.

Okay, enough foolishness. The card is Apathy. Apathy allows you to discard a card to untap the enchanted creature. Now, I'm not sure if it's been errated or anything, but if you can get a Rofellos/Priest with Apathy and a Well of Knowledge in play, not only can you cycle a lot of cards each turn with no real loss to your normal amount of man, you can get a hell of a lot of mana. Just one question, what besides Stroke of Genius can be used to kill your opponent? How many people have four Stroke of Genius? Hell, I don't think I have 1! Actually, if you can make the combo without interruption, then you can literally draw up to the Stroke of Genius. Well, that's the combo. You can also use the combo with the multi-mana lands with Ley Druid or something to untap your lands repeatedly.

Have you noticed that the Apathy/Rofellos/Well of Knowledge combo looks a lot like Cycling? I always wondered where they get these things....

[Edited by Dune Echo (12-07-1999 at 06:35 AM).]

T

theorgg

Thanks for the thought. I've gotten over it now.

I just put that deck in my "decesed" pile. I'm just glad that I didn't put in masticor like I was thinking about doing in my artifact/aether storm deck. oh well... that box seems to be getting fuller by the month. does anyone know if the've erratta'd brass man yet? if he can only be used once, there goes two more decks...

sorry for the ranting...

sic semper,

-theorgg

S

Shadowfire

Well at least they havent change Squee yet. I must say that I think with out errta, he will be one of the most powerful cards to hit magic in quiet sometime. Currently doesnt matter how he hits your graveyard you get him back. Works great with Cores.

I had him, arms dealer, and furiace assualt at the MM pre-release. Man did my deck rock 2 dealers 2 assualts. and a Squee, then here was the 2 timid drakes as well.

I think you can see how it went. But if they change Squee that decks a bust.

just my thoughts

T

theorgg

they won't change squee. too many ways to deal w/ it. for it to work w/ 'bator, it must be in the graveyard for a whole turn. if you discard it to masterbator, squee's upkeep isn't triggered, because all effects go on athe beginng. carrion beetles, phrexian furnace(is it in sixth?) thran gizmo, honor the fallen, even RAISE DEAD can stop him.

-theorgg

S

Spidermage

I agree with Ferret. If there is any one thing that is killing Magic, it is the way some players seem to want nothing more than to find ways to abuse the rules. Richard Garfield designed a game in which cards AND PLAYERS interract, but lately the game has come to resemble double-solitaire, as I have had the misfortune to discover since buying the MIE for online play. When playing among friends, we generally agree to just go with 5th ed. rules and common sense. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how a card was intended to be played, regardless of whatever obscure loopholes may exist allowing that card to be abused. We simply do not allow that abuse when playing amongst ourselves.

Ferret

Staff member
Someone got MIE to work? Cool!

Spidermage, if you get a chance maybe you could give me a hand w/ setting up an online game...I've been dying to try out my Sorrow's Path deck on someone...

-ferret

"Pain for one! Pain for all!"

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Do I sense another 666e dissatisfied customer out there?

Welcome aboard, Spidermage!

TomB
CPA Member

"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref tutor