Megrim deck help

V

V.L.Sigma

Thanks Darth, this deck looks good. Sorry that I've been away, I'm surrently moving into a new house, and my computer isn't up yet. I have to go to a local library to get online. :rolleyes: Anyway, I'll try that deck. Thanks again.

D

DarthFerret

no prob VL SIG

Oversoul, as I stated, The speed burst provided from the Dark Rits and the Sol Ring was not as neccessary in this deck, plus made it so that not many people would play against it...<SNicker>

Was more fun to let things come out naturally!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm not sure whether that's overconfident or arrogant. I know that I wouldn't cut Dark Rituals out of a deck in order to make it worse...

D

DarthFerret

Actually Oversoul, I think the main reason I am not concerned with the speed is that the people that I have to play against have absolutely no speed whatsoever. Therefore if I come out fast, game is over too quickly and is not as much fun to play. If I ever meet up with you or any other people from here to play against, I would sideboard all the speed back into it.

H

Homestar

maybe splash some blue for 4 wheel and deal, they hurt, a lot. especially if you throw in underworld dreams

H

Homestar

also,another reason for blue could be cephalid broker and cephalid looters and stuff liek that, and again, with underowrld dreams and megrim out, they start to hurt, even though there are better ways, the cephalids are consistent :D

T

Terentius

There's this site called Xerocreative.
There's this guy named Dr. Tom, he referred me here...

He will tell you just how much Megrim sucks, and give you an in depth analysis on why it sucks.

Of course, he's a professional, that's why he's not at the CASUAL Players' Alliance. So to each his own I 'spose... use Megrim if it's your little heart's desire. Just don't expect to beat anyone with some skills in deckmaking.

M

mythosx

megrims alright. but its not a top tier strategy. You almost always need to rely on cephalid brokers to get the job done. Once you rip out some ones hand it becomes much harder to force them to discard, hence the brokers.

And Tsi, not many people have any real skill in deck building. Only the leanest and meanest builds will evade megrim. Besides, its not the deck its how you use it.

T

TheCasualOblivion

I've never had any problem with Megrim. I usually play one of two decks. One is any number of variations on a fast aggro-control deck, I've done them in all colors. Usually I can kill or have the game won before Megrim really matters. The other deck I play is any deck with countermagic, either an aggro-counter or a more control based deck. I have played against Megrim decks many times in my years, and I can honestly say I have never in my life disenchanted one or wasted a counterspell on one.

The card holds no fear for me, I usually lose respect for a deck when I see it played. It has to be the most overrated card in the history of magic.

The last poster summarized things nicely: You need a card like Cephalid Broker to give them more cards to discard. I have news for you, If you've used discard to empty someones hand, and are playing at least a decent deck, you've already won. Megrim is a waste.

T

Terentius

Exactly, CasOblivion.
If you make Megrim your top priority, you've wasted valuable time in which you could be screwing up your opponents initial hand. If you wish to make Megrim your first play, then you've allowed him to set up his threats, and he probably won't care if you discard what's left in his hand.
And if Megrim comes after you've already disrupted your opponents hand, then what good does it do you? A good discard deck shouldn't need Megrim; if it's good at what it does, i.e. discarding, then like CasOblivion said: "...you've already won."

T

TheCasualOblivion

Lets see here-- the word "suck"

Megrim = Dead card which basically has no purpose in a deck. Discard pretty much works by itself. You destroy their hand, beat on them with stuff and they die because they can't stop you because you wrecked their hand. Megrim is 3 mana and one turn wasted that could be better served by doing something to beat on them or discard some more.

Discard -- Works best as an early game strategy to disrupt their deck before it gets started. First turn dark ritual/Hypnotic Specter tends to win games all by itself, since it wrecks you before you even get started. There is also the saying "Hymn Hymn I win" meaning you hit them with a second hymn to tourach(especially with a dark ritual casting two of them on turn 2) and the game is basically over. Megrim is slow and distracts from the flow of killing their hand early, and dropping threats to take advantage of the disruption.

Overrated-- Peoples opinion of a card being far greater than its actual worth. Megrim gives Arcane Denial a run for its money for tops as the most overrated bad card ever.

Its simply a card that doesn't do anything. Discard doesn't need any help. The best the card can do is heap it on unneccesarily. Aside from a few powerful and very specific combos, for example Memory Jar, this is a complete waste of a spell.

R

Reverend Love

Obviously you've never caste Urza's Guilt late game with Megrim in play, nor resolved a Memory Jar to deal 14 points of damage to each player.

Megrim is a clown card in serious tournament play, and only a fool would play it.

However Multiplayer/Casual is a different beast, and the old black staple has proven itself on multiple occasions.

T

TheCasualOblivion

still don't think it would fly around my area. Too many casual aggro decks, thanks to me and those I've taught to play them.

R

Reverend Love

TheCasualOblivion

I agree with your assessment that by the time your actually draw/play the Megrim, your hand destruction should have done it's job and megrim ends up being worthless. However the best multiplayer megrim decks I've seen have simply used Megrim as another combo piece, much like Disciple of the Vault. The combo attempts to force players to draw/dump their hand in one grandiose explosion.

In my experience players who attempt to utilize Megrim with traditional hand destruction (Duress, Hymn To Tourach, etc.) fail utterly.

R

Reverend Love

Thanks dude. I think I tried to edit the original but accidently ended up double posting.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Reverend Love
In my experience players who attempt to utilize Megrim with traditional hand destruction (Duress, Hymn To Tourach, etc.) fail utterly.
That has been my experience as well. It makes Megrim a totally inefficient card. As a discard player, I want to use my Hymns, etc. as soon as possible. If I were to play Megrim, it would only hit after my opponent's hand has already been emptied. The Rack costs two less in mana and is much better at doing damage in such a deck. However, Megrim does have its place in certain other decks. It's especially nice for multiplayer...

M

mythosx

Megrim is not a dueling card. And I see thats where the disagreement lies. It's one of those the more the merrier cards.