3 INTRUDER ALARM
2 Abduction

1 Caldera Lake
1 Remote Isle
1 Smoldering Crater
4 Shivan Reef
10 Island
5 Mountain

This deck is NASTY. Can I just check that Brass Man can be untapped multiple times in your upkeep? If so then this deck is a serious card-drawing machine gun even before your Tim's become Intruder Alarm powered. It's got tricks with the Crown Of The Ages that really annoy people, bouncing around Abductions, Quicksilver Daggers and Alexi's Cloaks to play with their mind. Goblin Tinkerer wrecks all those annoying Artifact-playing Mofo's around at the moment, chewing up their artifact land and spitting it out again.

Right now this deck suffers most from me not having the right cards. I'd love to pack 4 Razorfin Hunter and maybe a couple of Goblin Sharpshooters - if I did that then probably a Moggcatcher might even find it's way into the deck. Viashino Heretic is an option to replace Tinkerers if my mana curve shifts to leaves a gap at 3cc.

As with my U/G Holistic Wisdom deck I'm not really going all-out for the win. I'm trying to win, sure, but I'm trying to win a certain way... if I wanted to play to win I'd cream everyone I'm meeting at the shop and they wouldn't enjoy the experience one bit, so I'm trying to make good decks that are fun to play with and against.

Thoughts?

D

DarthFerret

Ok, Your question piqued my interest, and also made me wonder, so I looked it up. Here is what I found::

Q: If I have a Brass Man out in play, and it is enchanted by Psonic Gift; could I shoot my opponent and keep on untapping it to shoot him more than once during my upkeep?

A: You can untap Brass Man as many times as you like during your upkeep, as long as you have the mana for it. The ability is a regular activated ability with the restriction that it can only be used in the upkeep.

(NB: this is different from Goblin War Wagon. The War Wagon has a triggered ability (it begins with "at"), which triggers only once per turn. Brass Man has an activated ability (it contains a colon), so you can activate it as many times as you can pay for it.)

Taken straight of the MAGIC: TG website.

This also gives me a new idea to add to my own Tim deck :

4 Prodigal sorcerers (Tim)
4 Pirate Ships (Tim on a ship)
4 Clones
4 Dopplegangers
4 Zuran Spellcasters (a Tim by any other name.....)
4 Brass Men [Just Added]
4 Psionic Gift[Just Added]
4 Counterspells
4 Deflections
4 Spell Blasts
4 Rods of Ruin (Tim on a stick)
20 Islands
4 Icy Manipulators (Just because)

I actually first named the deck the Machine Gun Deck, but then everyone else called it my Timmy Deck.

G

Gizmo

Thanks for all the responses guys. I feel happier about Brass Man now, all last night I was beating people and worrying there was some errata somewhere that should be stopping me. I may end up taking the Brass Men out though for being too good, they really are unfair.

Horseshoe Crab is a bad Brass Man - three times the cost and untaps half as often.

Akki Underminer doesnt work - has to be combat damage.

Cinder Seer was on my list of things to play, but I ended up not having enough red spells to make him worthwhile. Nearly played Opportunist though.

Embermage Goblin fits, but he's competing against stuff like 2cc Razorfin Hunger, or 3cc Sharpshooters.

The Viridian Longbow is interesting, and if it wasnt for the Crown Of The Ages trickery I can pull off, would be better than Hermetic Study. It might actually BE better anyway, I'll have to think it over... but it's the 4cc cast+equip cost against the U1 of Hermetic Study that swings it at the moment.

It occurs to me I might try and track down a Reveka. But that's not gonna be easy.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Half as often? If a deck has an appreciable amount of blue mana, then Horshoe Crab's drawback is probably worth being able to untap outside your upkeep. Then again, it depends on what other cards are in the deck...

R

Reverend Love

Sorry Gizmo, but Brass Man is a bad Horseshoe Crab...

Brass Man
{1}
Artifact Creature
1/3
~this~ doesn't untap during your untap step.
{1}: Untap ~this~. Play this ability only during your upkeep.

Unless your only going to be pinging people during your upkeep.

G

Gizmo

Yeah, only during upkeep. But a 1/3 blocker ont he first turn? A second turn active pinger with Hermetic Study or third turn active with a Quicksilver dagger? And which untaps for any mana? MUCH better than Horseshoe Crab. If Horseshoe Crab cost U to cast, we might be having a real discussion about which is better... but it doesnt, so we arent.

I played this deck again tonight - having 2nd/3rd turn active pingers, and pingers which dont get pinged by other pingers... makes this deck a dozen times better than other pinger decks. It sets up faster and is harder to disrupt, and much of that is down to Brass Man.

In fact Brass Man is so good that I'm going to take this deck apart because it's unfair.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Gizmo
If Horseshoe Crab cost U to cast, we might be having a real discussion about which is better... but it doesnt, so we arent.
Except that Reverend Love is dead on.

I like the idea of taking it out because it's too good. That was my excuse for getting rid of Snowfall in my High Tide deck... :rolleyes:

G

Gizmo

No, Horseshoe Crab is WORSE than Brass Man in this deck. MUCH worse.

Want to compare DCI rankings and Pro Tour points to decide which of us is more likely to be right?

R

Reverend Love

Originally posted by Gizmo
No, Horseshoe Crab is WORSE than Brass Man in this deck. MUCH worse.

Want to compare DCI rankings and Pro Tour points to decide which of us is more likely to be right?
Sure. Let's compare oink size in this pissing contest as well.

F

f-6

Easy, guys! You are both right. Which is better depends on style of play and opponent. Brass man can only be used during your upkeep forcing you to make decisions before your draw while the crab can be used at end of opponents turn or when his creatures untap. And I have more DCI points AND larger private parts then both of you! :D

D

DarthFerret

Bravo f-6, and verily i dub you "peacemaker" (as long as you come out on top...lol)

Anyway, I agree, both are correct. It is kinda the same thing as ... which is better, the Serra Angel, The Shivan Dragon, or the Doppelganger?

And I will not argue about OINK size, seeing as I would prolly come out on the short end of the stick.....:rolleyes:

F

f-6

Thanks, DarthFerret. I humbly accept the dubbing and promise to always come out on top! :D

D

DarthFerret

No problem, and as for DCI points, is there a way to check and see how many you have. I have a few, but not sure how many...

G

Gizmo

Intruder Alarm in play. Tap my four creatures to do you three damage and draw two cards. Play Brass Man. Tap my four creatures to do you three damage and draw two cards. Play Hammerhead Shark. Tap my four creatures to do you three damage and draw two cards. Play Brass Man I just drew. Tap my four creatures to do you three damage and draw two cards. Play Goblin Tinkerer. Tap my four creatures to you three damage and draw two cards.

Mana spent... 6. Damage done... 15. Cards drawn... 10.

Intruder Alarm in play. Tap my four creatures to do you three damage and draw two cards. Play Horseshoe Crab. Tap my four creatures to do you three damage and draw two cards. Play Hammerhead Shark. Tap my four creatures to do you three damage and draw two cards. Oh damn, I'm holding another Horseshoe Crab but don't have the mana to cast it. Er... your turn.

Mana spent... 5. Damage done... 9. Cards drawn... 6.

My case... resting on a beach, in the Caribbean. You're playing a deck that combos damage off casting cheap creatures... and you want to take out the 1cc creature and replace with a 3cc effectively carbon copy?

C

Chaos Turtle

Go Here: DCI Personal Information Center

If you've never logged in before, there's a link the text above the login box that takes you to the place to do that.

On-topic. I just love Horseshoe Crab, but I should think it obvious that Brass Man is better in this deck. That 2 mana discount makes all the difference in the world.

F

Force of Will Smith

plus the crab is predictable. I like how this deck maindecks 4 brass man..

One suggestion would be to replace the hammerhead shark with an unlikely contender. Giant Tortoise!!

Assuming you're going on mainly defense, the tortoise has 1 more toughness, 1 less power but, he can actually attack regardless.. .plus he's funny :D.

Cmon' you KNOW you wanna run the turtle!!

Hammerhead shark 1U
2/3 Island Home

Giant Tortoise 1U
1/1 becomes 1/4 when untapped

You should also find a way to run curiosity in your deck to draw that many more cards.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You should also find a way to run curiosity in your deck to draw that many more cards. [/B]

Well, if red mana is accessable, Quicksilver Dagger totally beats out Curiosity.