Beginer's Artifact deck

S

slurpbro

It pains me to call myself a beginner... I only use the term because I don't have a large knoweledge of cards. I'm still new to the site, though

My artifact deck is simple, I built it on paper using cards I had and Mirrodin cards.

4x Frogmite
3x Juggernaut
1x Living Wall
2x Lodestone Myr
2x Phyrexian Walker
2x Clockwork Dragon
1x Darksteel Colosus
3x Myr Enforcer
3x Ornithopter
3x Steel Wall

4x Welding Jar
2x Tooth of Chiss-Goria
2x Scale of Chiss-Goria
2x Tower of Fortunes
2x Tower of Champions
2x Loxodon Warhammer
2x Serum Tank

4x Urza's Power Plant
4x Urza's Mine
4x Urza's Tower
4x Cloudpost
4x Stalking Stones

This deck is only on paper. When I first created it, I realized that with Urzatron, affinity, and cloudpost, not to mention the fact that virtualy everything in the origional deck was under four mana, (minus affinity) I had liitle use for mana after the third turn. Most of my decks don't proceed to late game until the seventh turn. So I put in the collosus, dragons, juggernauts, towers, etc. for use of mana. Then i put in Serum tank and Tower of fortunes to draw more stuff to play. You'll notice that this deck is colorless, having only artifacts and land. Any help or advice would be appreciated, as I intend to build this deck as one of my primary decks. Thanks.

S

slurpbro

No. Thats just all I have access to. Darksteel, Fifth Dawn, and Kamigawa are out, but I don't have a spoiler for them and currently don't own any of their cards. I was hoping you could help me there, as well as deck mechanics. I'm no beginner, though. I've been plyaying magic for six years now, and I learn strategy games (especially card-based ones) fast. I know the rules, at least, inside and out. I don't know about every card, though. Thats why I get card spoilers from Crystalkeep.com. The last one they printed was Mirrodin. I've seen some of those cards, though, like the Darksteel Collosus. I'm good at making simple beatdown-type combo decks, but as far as more complicated decks i'm not about average in creating. I had a thread starring a deck built around the unglued card, Burning Cinder Fury of Crimson Chaos Fire. Oversooul posted there. Again, I would like any of your help. I'm no beginner, but I'm no veteran either. Thanks.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Mana Vault, Grim Monolith, and Sol Ring are all great artifact mana acceleration if you can get them (but they are restricted in Vintage and banned in Legacy, if that's important).

Some other good mana includes Metalworker (absolutely perfect for this sort of deck and banned in Legacy for a good reason),Thran Dynamo, City of Traitors, Ancient Tomb, and Crystal Vein (oh, and Mishra's Workshop if you happen to find one lying around, which you don't).

Darksteel Colossus is very good. Another good one is Phyrexian Colossus. If you are unable to get them, Colossus of Sardia is okay for this kind of deck, but not as good...

Memory Jar is the most insane card-drawing available available with no colored mana. It's another banned card. If you want unbanned card-drawing though, Urza's Blueprints is pretty good.

If you want to keep your deck as defense-oriented as it is now, throwing in Phrexian Processor as a kill condition might be a good idea.

Null Brooch is wonderful in artifact decks.

If you use such cards as Urza's Blueprints, Null Brooch, and Phyrexian Colossus, Voltaic Key would be an invaluable addition to your deck...

Mishra's Factory is better than Stalking Stones, probably even in this deck.

D

DarthFerret

If you get a voltaic key, a basalt monolith (I love that card) is a good one.....also handy if you splash a little blue and green and animate it with instil energy. Jandors saddlebags will also untap animated artifacts.

I have also found that having 4 of each Urzas land can be a little too much. I usually run with 2 of each and put in some deserts and sinkholes. There are several other lands that could be used, plus any new ones that I am sure I don't know about. I know nothing about any cards after Onslaught. I quit buying when they changed the card face. Also happens I ran out of money about that time too! ;)

S

slurpbro

Defensive? It seemed like a good balance, even with all the walls/ornithopters. Lodestone myr is almost the key to this deck- it's pumpability makes it huge quickly. There are enough options in this deck to get out a huge mana producer fast, then you just need to find something to spend it on. The urzatron, affinity cards, and cloudposts make the mana production excessively fast. The deck plays defensively with free blockers and steel walls. These serve later as fodder for affinity and lodestone myr. After the fifth turn, you're likely to have completed an urzatron, easily. The rest is just things to win with. Juggenaut, Clockwork Dragon, Lodestone myr, and the colossus only count as 8 cards, so you are going to have to draw them out. Other than that, the rest of the deck is practically free, so you see my problem. i geuss it is defensive. It plays like green big creature. Thats what i play currently, so I happen to like that idea. I see this deck as working fine as it is, but I could be wrong.

Mana is in afine state here, except for Mishra's factory. I know what a mishra's factory is, but theres no way i'm getting one. The would be incredible in this deck. Stalking stones will have to do. Sol ring would dominate because it would produce mana extremely efficiently while lowering affinity costs. I wish there were more creatures like Frogmite and Myr enforcer, because that would help. I only see the mana vaults as pointlessly wasting mana. I've only used them In my Burning Cinder Fury of Crimson Chaos Fire deck. Like I said, the Juggernauts and Phyrexian Walkers are as far as I can swing it.
The rest of the cards you said went right over my head, because I'm not so fluent as you in knoweledge of cards. I could probably get some cards from as far back as Planeshift or Invasion through trading. I just need feedback on the overall dynamic of this deck. Maybe we could make it win sooner, instead of just building up to a win condition fast. I just own about two weenie decks in every color, and I like my green biggie best, so I think maybe i'ts current situation is best.

Here's a question: Is there a card for gating artifacts? Maybe we could start with that, then put a lot of Darksteel colossus, and similar expensive and powerful artifact creatures on the board.
Or how about Soul Foundry with stuff like Juggernaut? getting out a juggernaut a turn would be hard to deal with for a while, and it means I don't run out of win engines.
Any ideas?

Whats a Null Brooch?

S

slurpbro

You all fail to realize, I don't have a whole lot of old cards! I have a lot of Ice Age and Fourth Edition, and I've recently been buying Eighth and Mirrodin. There were times when i bought cards other than that, around planeshift, and also around nemesis, but thats it. All the old cards I own are pretty useless. Sorry, but that doesn't help.

I like the urzatrons. They help the deck be extremely proficient, even in late game. I think, with experience from my green big creature, that this theory works. But I'm not sure. Help me out here. Like i said, I think that the speed of it works out well. The land produce normally early on, when you play steel walls and ornithopters and affinity cards. Then, you move on to mid-game, have a lot of mana, a lot of cards to play, and empty your hand. Then you play effects and huge stuff in late game. It seems to be one step ahead of most decks. What I want is corrections on my figures, I geuss. Any feedback on the speed/percentage of drawing sufficient options, etc?

Subsequently, my big green:
3x Hickory Woodlot
20x Forest
1x Tower of Fortunes
1x Tower of Eons
1x Tooth and Nail
3x Naturalize
1x Seal of Strength
1x Giant Growth
1x Rancor
2x Silk Net
4x Wild Growth
2x Vine Trellis
2x Llanowar Elves
2x Fyndhorn Elves
2x Scryb Sprites
1x Canopy Spider
3x Wooly Spider
3x Silverglade Elemental
1x Llanowar Behemoth
1x Yavimaya Wurm
1x Rhox
1x Trolls of Tel-Jilad
1x Thorn Elemental
1x Plated Slagwurm
1x Living Hive

A little off topic, but there it is. Could you give me feedback on it? That's a real deck, it's not on paper only like the above artifact deck.

I

Istanbul

How about Goblin Cannon? It's something to dump mana into like crazy, and it's in Fifth Dawn, so you should have access to some.

S

slurpbro

Text for Goblin Cannon:
2: Deals 1 damage to target creature or player. Sacrifice Goblin Cannon.

The way I'm seeing this is you play it, pay the ability several times before it has a chance to self-destruct. I don't even think thats legal, and if you play it normally (i.e. without the repetition) it would not be worth taking something out for. If it is legal, I'd be better off with a Rod of Ruin anyway because at least that stays out. Be great for burn, though, and that would help. I still think the deck is better off without it.

How about some Modular cards form Darksteel/Fifth Dawn? Or a Solarion? I just discovered these exsisted, but I have no Idea what they are called or what they do. I only know what Solarion does and what Modular does. Modular would be a great support fuction in this deck, and I could make it more offensive that way. How much does Solarion cost to play? Even so it would be pointless in this deck, as Sunburst counts # of basic lands, then turns them into starting +1+1 counters. So it would be useless, I just realized.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
No, sunburst doesn't count basic lands. The domain cards from Invasion do. Sunburst only counts the number of colors used to pay for the card...

Goblin Cannon's ability can be stacked as many times as you want (the sacrifice is not part of the cost). It still doesn't look all that great, but I guess it is versatile.

Mana Vault is not a waste of mana. it allows for plays like first turn Metalworker...

I do not remember any artifacts with gating. I don't think there were any...

As far as making the deck win sooner, stuff like Juggernaut is good (especially with artifact mana). Stuff like Steel Wall is not (unless you're splashing blue and running Tinker, in which case Steel Wall still might as well be anything else).

V

V.L.Sigma

if you want a nice creature for artifact, Arcbound Ravager is good. You can sacrifice artifacts to it to add +1/+1 counters to it, and it has modular, so if it dies, you can drop those counters on another artifact creature. I think it might work to replace the steel wall...but don't quote me on it.