How does the restrictions affect the casual players??

S

Spuky

hello everyone, it´s been some time since i posted something here, but that´s not the case.

The other day a friend and i were discussing about the restricted list, and thinking about what should be restricted or un restricted(i play casual and underpowered Type 1, and casual extended sometimes), and im want to know if you care about the restricted list, i mean, you play using 4 tolarians, or you play following the restricted list??, because I think that some players just ignore the restricted list just because they call themselves "casual players", but, i think that some of the reasons to be of the restricted list is to make Magic a fun game, and not just watch someone kill you befoire you get oportunity to draw a card.

what kind of players are you?: do you play following the restricted lis or not??

P.S: i think that they should unrestrict frantic search, i dont think that taht card deserves to be restricted

E

Ephraim

For the most part, people around here don't have cards that appear on the restricted list. For myself, I try to obey it when building casually. Obviously, my decks would be more broken with four Demonic Tutors, but I recognize that I should only be playing with one. Same goes for stuff like Mind's Desire. We tend to be a bit more lenient with stuff like Frantic Search and Crop Rotation, which take Tolarian Academy to really break. Also, I play a lot of Peasant Magic, which allows four copies of any card that isn't banned in the format, so four Demonic Tutors, four Frantic Searches, or four Lotus Petals are A-OK.

M

mythosx

some one move this to another area. I think we talked about this last year. It seemed about half of us including myself were for the Vintage list while half weren't personally I use the restricted list for several reasons. There is always some Joker playing with proxies and there is no way I will let him proxy in 4 things that he is supposed to only have one of if any at all. Secondly, it is a good standard to use when playing strangers. You always hear, "you can only have one of those." Lastly, if you don't play with a restricted list they why follow any of the restriction rules such as limit yourself to 4 cards or banned cards?

J

jorael

In our playing group we use the restriction list. But stuff like frantic search and crop rotation are often used four of a kind. Good in a storm deck, but not broken.

I think casual groups can be a more lenient with the restricted lists than at tournaments. Just don't make too broken decks that are no fun to play against.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't use the Vintage lists for actual decks, as I do not have the necessary cards for the format. I have used them for real Vintage decks on Appr. or with proxies...

I use the Legacy banned list a lot now, as it is definitely the best format for casual players (you get to use all of your card pool, not just newer sets, but there aren't as many expensive cards needed).

I have a lot of experience building purely casual decks, and for such decks adhering to a particular format is not needed. I don't really do that anymore, as I focus mainly on tournament decks nowadays (I guess I've become more of a fundless tournament player than a casual player).

D

DarthFerret

I used to adhere to the restricted and banned list, and one day started questioning myself. Mainly because I accidentally put in 2 Sol Rings one day, and both came out. Was not a game breaking thing, but was handy for me. I have pretty much since, stopped worrying about it. I usually only put one demonic tutor in, but there are times when I say "screw it" and go for the gusto. When playing in foriegn shops or with people I have not met before, I follow the restricted list because I view it as an unspoken house rule. Nowadays, most people I play with dont have the really nasty stuff from the list, but occasionally you find a power player, who is generally not in it for the fun, and he will complain obsesively if you have duals from the restricted list.

Another thing I hate is proxies. I do not understand why people use them. I generally make a house rule that people I play with cannot proxy. Otherwise, they could basically do anything they want, and ignore the rarity of the cards.

R

Reverend Love

We adhere religiously to the restricted/banned list where I play. There are a couple of us who own power, and two of use fully powered. If we just went wild there would be insanely high power levels and tempers.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My group follows the B/R lists for pretty much the same reasons as Reverend Love stated. However, it's usually not a problem since hardly anyone owns any "real" power cards in any great number (like the rares, we have lots of Sol Rings, Regrowths, etc) and half the group likes to play with cards from the latest block or set anyway.

S

Spuky

well, in my group use the restricted list, but thats just because a lot of new players appear every day, so its a rule to keep things from going nasty, and about the proxies, we use them a lot, but just because we want to try new cards, please dont get mad with me i dont really like proxies, but we use them because is really hard to get cards here in Mexico(and im sure that any player of Mexico thinks like me), especially old cards, and it doesnt help us that to us some cards are really expensive, so thats why we use proxies, but still we dont use proxies of cards that we cant get(we dont prxy the P9, dual lands, anything that cost over $5 dollars)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I have no problem with proxies as long as EVERYONE involved agrees to use them beforehand. Otherwise it's just a mess. I remember playing against guys in high school who suddenly started dropping proxy cards. Sometimes the rationale was that I should not care as my cards were more overpowering than theirs were anyway. I think that was a poor excuse for not asking about proxies beforehand...

Proxies are very good for testing decks though.

S

Spuky

we use proxies just for testing, and only in our group, when we play with other people, we play decks without decks

Killer Joe

Originally posted by Oversoul

Proxies are very good for testing decks though.
Agreed. I have actually recommended folks to proxy up decks just to get them to get a feel for a certain card/deck. that way, if they like it, they know ahead of time that it was a worthwhile investment.

I

Istanbul

By and large, restrictions/bannings are there to keep the game fun.

I abide by them, and so does my play group.

Unfortunately, they won't allow Unhinged, mostly to keep Richard Garfield PHD away from me. I'm sort of a walking Magic encyclopedia, and giving me RGP would be bad. Like, crossing-the-streams bad.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Using the Vintage banned/restricted lists would logically include Unglued/Unhinged cards being illegal, as they are not normally legal in the format...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Technically you're right, but since it's not a tourney setting (at least, I'm gathering that it's not - I'll just speak for my group) and since Unglued/Unhinged are casual sets, you could generally mix and match. The B/R lists are recognizing that those cards in particular "break" the game when you have more than one.

That's just in general; perhaps there's house rules (like my group) where you can play multiples of it if it's in the current block. But like Isty said, the lists are there to keep it fun and an even level playing field from the start...

M

mythosx

Originally posted by jorael
In our playing group we use the restriction list. But stuff like frantic search and crop rotation are often used four of a kind. Good in a storm deck, but not broken.

I think casual groups can be a more lenient with the restricted lists than at tournaments. Just don't make too broken decks that are no fun to play against.
When not used properly even the most powerful cards are worthless. You can't say cards are broken if you don't use them the right way.

N

Nightstalkers

all my casual games are pretty much following T1 rules.

It keeps the games consistant and not having to sit around and figure out rules... of course, I don't do multiplayer anymore, so I don't really have to worry about those rules either.

However, I do play a little unhinged/unglued every now and then, as well as a little of the clunking about with different rules and game types.

Kinda got hooked on conquest magic... meh.